Dr Rassman on Hm \'s 2 stem cell approach. Pessimist or realist?

I would not postpone the more standard treatment for hair loss (e.g hair transplantation), as your balding will inevitably progress as you will wait, and wait, and wait for the breakthrough that may not occur in the time frame when you can enjoy having hair on your head.August 31 2007, 3:34 pm PT | Posted in: Hair Cloning

Last week we attended a lecture at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles on the topic of hair stem cells. Dr. Robert Hoffman (speaker) is a professor at the University of California, San Diego. He and his colleagues have done several studies on hair stem cells and its application in different fields of medicine.

Dr. Hoffman’s team extracted special cells from the bulge area of hair follicles (above the lower generative center of hair) that are known to be easily accessible and a good source of actively growing, pluripotent cells (cells that have capability of differentiating to different cell lines). They found the protein markers of the neural stem cells in this group of cells (Nestin). They performed several projects to evaluate the final cell lines that could be harvested from growth and differentiation of these stem cells. Among those were using these cells to produce nervous system and blood vessel cells. In one study, Dr. Hoffman’s team applied these stem cells on mouse severed sciatic nerve. The animals that were treated have recovered from nerve injury and could resume the function of affected limb faster in comparison to the control group that never received any treatments.

Dr. Hoffman and his colleagues also performed similar study on a mouse with spinal cord injury. The animal with spinal cord injury gained the function of its paralyzed limb following application of these cells to transected part of spinal cord. The findings can bring about hope for treatment of patients with ‘fresh’ spinal cord injuries. Currently, there is no effective treatment for spinal cord injury and those patients are doomed to lose the neural function of some part of their body, commonly their lower extremities for the rest of their lives.

Although Dr. Hoffman was optimistic about application of hair stem cells in regeneration of cells in nervous system, when asked about his opinion on hair multiplication, he did not believe that it would be that easy. Dr. Hoffman believes that the necessity of interaction of this dual stem cell system (cells from bulge area and cells from dermal papilla of hair follicles that produce hair formation) makes it more complicated for producing hair with a method similar to what is described (in producing nervous system or blood vessel cells).

It is most interesting that Dr. Hoffman and many others working in this arena, find that producing the hair organ (which contains skin, hair elements, blood vessels, fat, and other supportive tissues) is far more difficult than producing just one of these elements (nerves, blood vessels). For those of you who are anxiously waiting for hair multiplication results to be available in the clinical world, I would not postpone the more standard treatment for hair loss (e.g hair transplantation), as your balding will inevitably progress as you will wait, and wait, and wait for the breakthrough that may not occur in the time frame when you can enjoy having hair on your head.

Honestly the guy is kind of an idiot. For example, he won’t recommend any drugs or topicals for MPB unless it’s approved by the FDA, despite very solid evidence and theory backing up cheap treatments like Nizoral shampoo. And perhaps more importantly – the guy’s a businessman. He’s selling 1975 Chevys in a world soon to be filled with Audis.

» I would not postpone the more standard treatment for hair loss (e.g hair
» transplantation), as your balding will inevitably progress as you will
» wait, and wait, and wait for the breakthrough that may not occur in the
» time frame when you can enjoy having hair on your head.
August 31 2007,
» 3:34 pm PT | Posted in: Hair Cloning

» Honestly the guy is kind of an idiot. For example, he won’t recommend any
» drugs or topicals for MPB unless it’s approved by the FDA, despite very
» solid evidence and theory backing up cheap treatments like Nizoral
» shampoo. And perhaps more importantly – the guy’s a businessman. He’s
» selling 1975 Chevys in a world soon to be filled with Audis.
»
» » I would not postpone the more standard treatment for hair loss (e.g
» hair
» » transplantation), as your balding will inevitably progress as you will
» » wait, and wait, and wait for the breakthrough that may not occur in the
» » time frame when you can enjoy having hair on your head.
August 31
» » 3:34 pm PT | Posted in: Hair Cloning

why so negative. he did at least his own research. maybe he s right?

» And perhaps more importantly – the guy’s a businessman. He’s
» selling 1975 Chevys in a world soon to be filled with Audis.

BRILLIANT response !

in other words, bald guys don’t wait for HM in the future, come get an HT from me now in the present. HM is available at a later date but you can come get an HT from me NOW and with every HT until you get back to a NW1 i will give you one of Mourie’s famous wigs!

Tested against Hurricane Winds!!!

Funny!

I hope that the vast majority of HTP surgeons end up like Mourie.

» I hope that the vast majority of HTP surgeons end up like Mourie.

ROFL