Dr. Mwamba - 3509 FIT to Frontal Third and Crown, 8 month re

Hello from Dr. Mwamba’s clinic in Bruxelles, Belgium! Here are the before and after pictures for a patient formerly on the verge of Class V.

We grafted 2739 FIT grafts to the hairline and frontal third and 770 FIT grafts to the crown for a total of 3509 grafts. At 8 months post-op, this patient can look forward to another 20-30% growth as the transplanted hairs continue to mature.

The primary goal was to restore and thicken the hairline. The second focus was to establish a light coverage in the crown. Because the result was so good, the patient has come back for an additional 800 grafts to the crown. We will keep you updated on his progress.

I am not a doctor. I am a surgical tech trained in hair transplant. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Mwamba. My advice is not medical advice.

Excellent results!!!

If you can give me a written guarantee that I would get the same quality of results or you will give me back 15 times the cost of the transplant then I will definitely have work done with your clinic.:smiley:

Could you tell us what Gage needle was used. They look like about 1mm internal diameter.

Why did you leave that small bald spot in the crown??? That seems an odd choice and seems to be visible in the after photos.

How does your clinic feel about the problems of re-visiting an area that you have covered lightly?

Anyway a great improvement for the number of grafts. Also, the photo quality is first class and shows the absolute and full picture.

» Excellent results!!!
»
» If you can give me a written guarantee that I would get the same quality
» of results or you will give me back 15 times the cost of the transplant
» then I will definitely have work done with your clinic.:smiley:
»
» Could you tell us what Gage needle was used. They look like about 1mm
» internal diameter.
»
» Why did you leave that small bald spot in the crown??? That seems an odd
» choice and seems to be visible in the after photos.
»
» How does your clinic feel about the problems of re-visiting an area that
» you have covered lightly?
»
» Anyway a great improvement for the number of grafts. Also, the photo
» quality is first class and shows the absolute and full picture.

I have liked Dr Mwamba since I met him at Cole’s office. I would go to him and believe Cole’s clinic does one of the best hairlines in the world, most natural, so it’s seems natural for Dr Mwamba to to do this kind of work when he learned from Dr Cole. I like the man and think this is great results for the amount of grafts used; and very natural, with good good angles.

Keep up the good work, doc…

dj

I couldn’t agree more. Dr. Patrick is carrying on the tradition of excellence he learned under Dr. Cole. Although the patient has curly hair (an advantage) it LOOKS to be rather fine, so it really is an excellent result for the number of grafts.
As to Marco’s question: were you referring to the area not transplanted in the intra-operative photos? If so, probably had a lot of pre-existing hair there that Dr. Mwambe did not want to shock out. Or, it could be that the patient’s budgete required x number of grafts, and thay had run out by that time, with the understanding that re-budgeting would result in a return to the clinic in time. Just knowing how he works, you know.

» Hello from Dr. Mwamba’s clinic in Bruxelles, Belgium! Here are the before
» and after pictures for a patient formerly on the verge of Class V.
»
» We grafted 2739 FIT grafts to the hairline and frontal third and 770 FIT
» grafts to the crown for a total of 3509 grafts. At 8 months post-op, this
» patient can look forward to another 20-30% growth as the transplanted
» hairs continue to mature.
»
» The primary goal was to restore and thicken the hairline. The second
» focus was to establish a light coverage in the crown. Because the result
» was so good, the patient has come back for an additional 800 grafts to the
» crown. We will keep you updated on his progress.
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
» -----------------------------
» I am not a doctor. I am a surgical tech trained in hair transplant. My
» opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Mwamba. My advice is not medical
» advice.

I wonder what the chances of recovery are in the late stages.

For the frontal third, thanks for the complements!

For the crown,

The goal was not to fill in the crown (although that was an option), but to add light density, turning back the hands of time to early in the hair loss process of the crown.

If you look closely, you can tell which hairs have been long gone, which are about half way through the miniaturization process, and which hairs have just begun to miniaturize.

Instead of thinking in geometric terms (crown=circle, fill in circle.), Dr. Mwamba adds the most density in the areas that have been affected by MPB the longest. Here, you can lend coverage without concern for existing hairs.

In the areas of 50% miniaturization, there is a good chance that they will either A) be lost within about a year naturally, B) loss will be accelerated due to transplanting closely to weakened hairs. These existing hairs are baby fine, and are not lending much for coverage. Transplanting here will likely take the place of native hairs.

In the areas that have more recently begun miniaturization, there are a few options. Either you can A) hit the area with medium-heavy density and most likely lose the existing hairs (due to acceleration of mpb), but retain the transplanted density, or B) attempt to salvage those hairs for as long as possible and the coverage that they lend to the crown by transplanting minimal density to that area. This, in a sense, buys the patient time.

The patient was presented these options and opted to go for a light sprinkling of density to the crown, carefully respecting the existing hairs with plans to return after he observes the results and the coverage obtained with the 770 FIT grafts in the crown.

After making decisions about existing density, Dr. Mwamba must design the crown. This patient has a single-whorl crown, in a clockwise direction, with the center to the upper left quadrant of the crown. The areas of this crown that are most difficult to cover are the center of the whorl and where the hairs are angled nearly straight up. These areas require larger amounts of grafts due to the angulation of hair growth. In the areas to the right of the crown, these hairs lend easily to cover other areas as the hair is grown out.

Higher density on the right, upper, and lower areas of the crown will give good coverage with minimal amounts of hair, successfully covering the majority of the crown while maintaining a natural, thinning look. This approach is two fold because the areas hardest to obtain full coverage are also the areas with hairs early in the miniaturization cycle.

Although the patient’s long term goal was to fill in the crown as much as his hair characteristics and donor hair allowed, the short term goal was to conserve funds, conserve donor reserves with respect to future loss, and further refine his goals for the crown after seeing the results of this first surgery.

The patient has since returned for his second pass to increase the density in the crown, as planned. 800 grafts were added to the crown in this second pass. The grafts were placed mostly in the area that, in the first surgery, had early stages of miniaturization. Revisiting this area of previously transplanted light coverage is not a problem.

Long term effects for this patient:

This patient has been responding well to propecia and rogaine and his hair loss has stabilized for now. Hair loss can be slowed, but it can suddenly accelerate as well, even when on propecia.

If this patient experiences more loss in the frontal third, future surgeries will involve low numbers of grafts. Because the density placed in the frontal third, although the appearance is that of thick coverage, is in actuality no more than 45-50 h/sq.cm. It will take much less donor to match this density should future surgery be indicated. Had this patient desired high density for the frontal hairline and throughout the frontal third, he would run into future issues of donor reserves and cost.

For the crown, if the patient experiences further loss and the crown widens, only very light density to the perimeter will be needed. A lot of future crown loss is not indicated, and some loss in the crown will be easily masked due to his hair characteristics.

This patient will possibly need further hair transplant, he is aware of this. But the amount of future transplanted hair needed has been lessened due to the techniques and densities chosen and allowing the educated patient to decide amongst his best options. When working with a patient that is possibly headed for future loss, a conservative approach is encouraged, and options are presented, but the final decision is really up to the patient.

I am not a doctor. I am a surgical tech trained in hair transplant. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Mwamba. My advice is not medical advice.

excellent growth.

i’m not so sure about the placement though.

in some of those photo’s his hair seems to be growing at all sorts of angles and seems a real mess in places.

it looks as though he has been wearing a hat all day and has just taken it off without bothering to comb it.

are there any photo’s of this guy when he has combed/brushed his hair into some sort of style ?

col

are there any more Dr Mwamba pics of other patients planned soon ?

does he also do BHT ?

COL

» i’m not so sure about the placement though.
»
» in some of those photo’s his hair seems to be growing at all sorts of
» angles and seems a real mess in places.
»
» it looks as though he has been wearing a hat all day and has just taken it
» off without bothering to comb it.
»
» are there any photo’s of this guy when he has combed/brushed his hair into
» some sort of style ?
»
» col

It’s because he has curly hair; those of us with this characteristic often just towel dry and boom! there you are, the finished style.
Knowing Dr. Mwamba as I do, I can tell you the angles will be just right.
This “unkempt” look that curly hair can give (unless combed, gelled, etc) is one of the things that provides better coverage: it stands up in a mass over the scalp, thereby blocking more light from penetrating to the scalp. Combing it out after it has dried tends to “frizz it out”.

in the before pics he has STRAIGHT hair, not curly…hence my concern.

When hair is fine and wispy, it cannot hold the curl and wave that it once had.

The hair on the frontal third is additionally messy because the hair was spritzed with water, a hair clip was applied, pulling the hair up to expose the frontal hair line, and then the clip was taken out. In some of the pics, you can see where the hair clip was.

This is not due to incorrect angles of hair placement.

» are there any more Dr Mwamba pics of other patients planned soon ?
»
» does he also do BHT ?
»
» COL

Yes, absolutely, more pics are coming. There are a few others on the IHTI forum as well.

Dr. Mwamba does offer BHT to patients that fully understand the risks and benefits.

thanks jessica,

do you have any “normal” hair pics to show what it really looks like ?

these pics just show good growth and little else.

i am very interested in Dr Mwambas results so would appreciate it.

cheers, col.

and does he do BHT and Trichophytic closure for strip work ?

thanks again, col.

» in the before pics he has STRAIGHT hair, not curly…hence my concern.

In most of those pre-op pix, the hair is wet, which straightens it. The others,you can see the curl on the sides; weak, miniaturized hairs such as those on top and in front here, lose some of their curl and caliber.
The post-op pix show him returned to thick and curly.

Another example of Dr. Mwamba’s work is in a thread called, "Dr. Mwamba - 1000 FIT to Hairline, 6 and 12 month results "

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry.php?id=752