Dr. Cole: Strip natural results - 2500 grafts

"The patient is a 46 year old man with androgenetic alopecia, Class III-V, who wished to fill in his thinning crown and restore his hairline.

He underwent single-blade harvest strip surgery, with approximately 2500 grafts placed.

Notice the mature, age-appropriate hairline, which is soft and feathered at the anterior margin. The crown was grafted with minimal numbers, low-density, to avoid problems in the future."

BEFORE SURGERY
forhair . com/hairtransplant/files/4_006.jpg

forhair . com/hairtransplant/files/4_001.jpg

Before and after placement comparison
forhair . com/hairtransplant/files/4_010.jpg

Before and after results (comparison)
forhair . com/hairtransplant/files/4_014.jpg

forhair . com/hairtransplant/files/4_012.jpg

forhair .com/hairtransplant/files/4_011.jpg
forhair . com/hairtransplant/files/4_013.jpg

Guess I’ll be one of the first to try this new forum…

What was the breakdown of grafts in the hairline vs. crown?

Thanks

» Guess I’ll be one of the first to try this new forum…
»
» What was the breakdown of grafts in the hairline vs. crown?
»
» Thanks

I would also like to know this

Another question for Forhair…what would you say the target density for the hairline and crown was?

requested by Forhair.

» » Another question for Forhair…what would you say the target density for
» » the hairline and crown was?
»
» around 300-400 in the crown. Above average density, in some areas 100-110
» FU’s per cm2, 200 hairs per cm2.
»

His DONOR density was as high as 100-110.
Crown transplanted density tough to estimate, as it was a fill-in-the-gaps procedure; however, 300-400 in the crown, with lower density to avoid shocking him out.
Density in frontal 1/3: average 45/cm2. Varies however, higher in denuded areas, lower back amongst thinning hairs (again, shock concerns). And of course, the leading edge of the hairline, it may be even higher. Dr. Cole has noted over time that if one pushes the hairline (singles) density too high, above 55-65, that the yield will sometimes drop. This case was about in the 50-60 range (only beause they are 1-hair grafts).

Hey FIT2be,

Thanks for the good reply as always:-)

Thats a huge difference for only 300 grafts to the crown. Makes me almost want to graft my crown rather than see what the meds can do. I have similar size crown area to cover with it being a bit more dense than this guy still.

As for the hairline that seems to be pretty decent but a bit thin in the front for me. I’m thinking about 1500 for the hairline in my case. Similar to this guy I have a bit more hair left in the front. But to get a thicker result I might actually need more around 2000.

I have similar donor to this guy as well - cept mine is wavy and less consistent. I have very thick areas 125+ and prolly some areas that are more like 80 on the lower sides and lower back. So this is an interesting case for me.

Just looked at pics again and I have quite a bit more hair left in the hairline actually…so 1500 might do.

I think the biggest thing here is the crown was filled with 300-400 grafts and looks great.

Hairsite - Can we still edit our posts??? I always think of stuff after I post and its gonna get ridicilous if I can’t edit…I will have like 20 posts in a row…

» Hairsite - Can we still edit our posts??? I always think of stuff
» after I post and its gonna get ridicilous if I can’t edit…I will have
» like 20 posts in a row…

Yes you can. I just increase the edit time limit to 1 full day.

Hey Ender,

Yep, this is a nice example of low density grafting into a crown with a fair amount of native hair. Even if he goes bald there eventually, and did no more work, the grafts left behind would not appear to be an unatural pattern. (of course most people would opt for further work if loss continues). If desired, at that point the remaining grafts could be easily “FITed” out.

It never ceases to amaze me how I always overestimate what a given number of grafts is gong to do, I mean after all, two thousand sounds like a lot. But then again, this man had a fair amount of “C” pattern (ie, the fronto-temporal recessions moving back behind the forelock to merge there).

It’s fairly typical conservative Cole hairline, not overly low, not overly dense, a nice feathered transition zone.

I hope “newt” doesn’t take me to task for saying it was “nice” :wink:

PS to Ender,

I think allowing the meds to do their thing in the crown is always a safe bet; it can be done concurrently with surgery, although that makes it difficult to really scientifically evaluate the efficacy of the meds :slight_smile: