Dr. Bernstein in NJ

Hello everyone. Has anyone ever had any work done with Dr. Bernstein? I’ve read a few articles about him and he seems very reputable, but does anyone have any first hand experience with him? I’d like him to transplant into my scar from strip surgery and it seems he does that on a failry regular basis. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Bernstein is a good doctor. He used to be with NHI now has his own practice in NJ. He is mostly known as a STRIP doctor, I haven’t seen that many FUE or BHT results coming from him.

If you want, email me hairsite@aol.com and I can set up a consultation for you with his clinic.

The thing about STRIP scar repair (using FUE) is the the yield tends to vary quite a bit from patient to patient depending on your scar tissue. Be prepared that the yield can be as low as 50% or below in some cases.

Here are some FUE into STRIP scar results from other doctors who perform FUE/BHT on a routine basis, this gives you an idea what to expect.

Dr. Jones’ patient - FUE/BHT into STRIP Scar, 1000 grafts

This is Dr. Arvind’s patient - 200 FUE grafts

BEFORE

AFTER

Thanks for the info. My scars are about half a centimeter wide so maybe there is hope that they can be excised or closed with a trichophytic closure. Thanks for the pics. I’m going to call Dr. Bernstein early next week to set up a consult. Perhaps he can excise the scar instead of doing FUE.

I had a bad experience with a Doc last week who I had contacted about scar revision. He spend two minutes listening to my concern and then ten trying to sell me on another transplant, when all I wanted was my scars revised. Thank you again for helping me to find a reputable doctor. I truly appreciate it.

» Thanks for the info. My scars are about half a centimeter wide so maybe
» there is hope that they can be excised or closed with a trichophytic
» closure. Thanks for the pics. I’m going to call Dr. Bernstein early next
» week to set up a consult. Perhaps he can excise the scar instead of doing
» FUE.
»
» I had a bad experience with a Doc last week who I had contacted about scar
» revision. He spend two minutes listening to my concern and then ten trying
» to sell me on another transplant, when all I wanted was my scars revised.
» Thank you again for helping me to find a reputable doctor. I truly
» appreciate it.

Rooster,
You should consider looking at the gallery at Dr. Cole’s website (www.forhair.com) there are a few scar repair examples posted over there. www. I went to a few surgeons and had some good work done before finding Dr. Cole. I am most confident in his skills personally. FYI, I am not a paid employee, I just think his work is the best from my experience. Here is an example:

Regards,

Fit Klub

» Thanks for the info. My scars are about half a centimeter wide so maybe
» there is hope that they can be excised or closed with a trichophytic
» closure. Thanks for the pics. I’m going to call Dr. Bernstein early next
» week to set up a consult. Perhaps he can excise the scar instead of doing
» FUE.
»
» I had a bad experience with a Doc last week who I had contacted about scar
» revision. He spend two minutes listening to my concern and then ten trying
» to sell me on another transplant, when all I wanted was my scars revised.
» Thank you again for helping me to find a reputable doctor. I truly
» appreciate it.

Dr. Bernstein is a reputable doc, well-published, etc. I have no idea about the quality of his donor harvests or scar repairs (although he does some nice graft-removal repair).

.5 centimeters is fairly wide for a strip scar, so I can understand your concerns. If the scar is long you may have a rather large total surface area of scar tissue to treat. If that is in fact the case, I would reconsider FUE-to-scar as the first line of treatment. You would end up placing a lot of grafts into not very “fertile soil.” If your scalp is flexible enough to remove the entire scar and close it under minimal tension, then a strip revision may be a better choice. You may or may not be a Ledge closure/Tricophytic closure candidate depending on the amount of tension on the wound. I image this course will greatly improve your donor area. Any further scar treatments, if needed, could be touched up with FIT/FUE.

I meant to say half a mm not half a cm. My scars are actually quite small. I’d just like to be able to wear a shorter cut.

I meant to say half a mm not half a cm. My scars are actually quite small.
I’d just like to be able to wear a shorter cut if my baldness progresses to a ridiculous level.

half a mm is nothing, it’s a pencil thin scar. Scar revision isn’t going to help.

Would FUE improve them a bit in your opinion?

» Would FUE improve them a bit in your opinion?

Yes, if the scar is only .5 mm (not cm), FUE is probably the best and most effective choice.

If your scar is very thin, what is it that you don’t like about it?

Sometimes the direction of the hairs below the scar have been changed by the strip closure. Then the hairs above and below the scar don’t grow in the same direction, causing a horizontal part around the back of your head. Is this your situation?

Otherwise, a .5mm wide scar should be easy to cover even with a shorter hair cut. Are you looking to shave your head all the way down, like with a straight razor? Do you have a picture?

To give you an idea of what I mean, here is a picture of a grafted scar. Good coverage was achieved through the grafting repair, but there is still a change in direction of the hairs caused by the strip closure.

I’m not looking to straight blade. I’m just very self conscious someone is going to see it. My wife obviously knows, doesn’t care, and is happy with the transplant. I however have always been very self conscious. I think a trichophytic closure could probably solve the problem. Obviously I’m not expecting or looking for perfection. I’d just like the scar as small as possible. If it’s as small as it can get now, I can live with that. Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond to me. I appreciate it.

» If your scar is very thin, what is it that you don’t like about it?
»
» Sometimes the direction of the hairs below the scar have been changed by
» the strip closure. Then the hairs above and below the scar don’t grow in
» the same direction, causing a horizontal part around the back of your
» head. Is this your situation?
»
» Otherwise, a .5mm wide scar should be easy to cover even with a shorter
» hair cut. Are you looking to shave your head all the way down, like with
» a straight razor? Do you have a picture?
»
» To give you an idea of what I mean, here is a picture of a grafted scar.
» Good coverage was achieved through the grafting repair, but there is still
» a change in direction of the hairs caused by the strip closure.
»

Jessica,

The hair angle problem in the scar picture you depicted is rather severe. Sorry to see it. I suspect this is the result of multiple strip harvests, yes? It is also worth noting that incision appears to be improperly placed; it looks to be too low which may have contributed to some stretch back. Who did the strip harvesting?

Rooster,

If your scar is uniformly .5 mm, I might suggest grafting to with FIT/FUE. Obviously it would have been better if the first doc did a Ledge or Tricho, but at this point I believe grafting it may be a better solution for you. You might post a photo here, or feel free to email me. I’ll be sure to get Dr. Rose’s opinion if you like.

Good luck to you.

» I’m not looking to straight blade. I’m just very self conscious someone is
» going to see it. My wife obviously knows, doesn’t care, and is happy with
» the transplant. I however have always been very self conscious. I think a
» trichophytic closure could probably solve the problem. Obviously I’m not
» expecting or looking for perfection. I’d just like the scar as small as
» possible. If it’s as small as it can get now, I can live with that. Thanks
» to everyone that took the time to respond to me. I appreciate it.

» Jessica,
»
» The hair angle problem in the scar picture you depicted is rather severe.
» Sorry to see it. I suspect this is the result of multiple strip harvests,
» yes? It is also worth noting that incision appears to be improperly
» placed; it looks to be too low which may have contributed to some stretch
» back. Who did the strip harvesting?

It was a while ago, so I don’t remember who did it off hand.

» Rooster,
»
» If your scar is uniformly .5 mm, I might suggest grafting to with FIT/FUE.
» Obviously it would have been better if the first doc did a Ledge or Tricho,
» but at this point I believe grafting it may be a better solution for you.
» You might post a photo here, or feel free to email me. I’ll be sure to get
» Dr. Rose’s opinion if you like.
»
» Good luck to you.
»

I agree. Grafting the scar would probably be less expensive as well.