Caution Advised Regarding Hair Marketing Campaigns

Last week, approx. 50% of Dr. Cole’s patients were in to repair other doctor’s work. One of our patients this week had a good strip scar as far as strip scars go. He wanted to minimize its appearance because his donor area density is relatively low. Dr. Cole administered Acell into both the donor and recipient areas. We have seen up to 60% follicle regeneration in our donor areas. We have a doctor on staff researching ways to improve our percentage of follicle regeneration.

This patient’s previous doctor placed the hairline way too low. As this young man continued to lose hair in the front, he was left with an unnatural “island” of hair as indicated in the photo. Low hairlines can be a temptation to younger patients. Don’t fall victim to marketing campaigns which are directed toward young men, offering them hope for a lifetime teenage hairline and/or a full head of hair. The medical technology isn’t there quite yet for the majority of young men with hair loss and that level of expectation.

The importance of a conservative approach with younger patients is paramount to a young man’s long-term happiness and self esteem. For most young men particularly in their twenties, Finasteride and/or Rogaine are the best course. There currently appears to be a campaign attempting to demonize Finasteride. Dr. Cole feels the claims of this current anti-Finasteride campaign are exaggerated.

appreciate the post , but as your a fue only clinic are you saying that your results are superior with the use of acell ? sounds like an acell campaign to me !

ejj

interesting statement on follicle regeneration, do you believe the result is permanent? someone recently posted the term"vascular comprimise",referring to someone whose had extensive surgical work, but resulting in a poor cosmetic outcome, which i think happened to me, im wondering if this protocol would improve my hair density both in the donor but especially in the recipient area, as i can feel plenty of small hairs, but have been unable to bring these hairs to maturity, although ive been trying various treatments with little success, this definitely interests me thanks for posting

» interesting statement on follicle regeneration, do you believe the result
» is permanent?

You should be cautious regarding hair marketing campaigns on the internet like “we have seen up to 60% follicle regeneration in our donor areas with ACell” because other doctors in this field reported …

… photographic examples presented at the ISHRS meeting in Alaska as of September of 2011 have been nebulous

So the question is: Do you like nebulous surgical procedures on your head?

» interesting statement on follicle regeneration, do you believe the result
» is permanent?

I hope it’s permanent. I work at Dr. Cole’s office and I’m also a patient. I’m personally a tough case because I have been scarred extensively in my scalp donor by another doctor in the late 70’s. My scalp donor hair is thin and my only option for repair is body and beard hair for hiding the scars. A month ago I had a small beard procedure. I just spoke with a member of the surgical staff here and hope to get a photo of my donor area later today. I suppose I shouldn’t assume that absolutely no evidence of surgery in my beard area is the result of Acell. Perhaps it’s just the way my beard area responds to surgery. I did have my wife look closely at my donor area and she could not see any evidence whatsoever of dots or extraction sites. It’s one thing to have a small strip scar hidden by donor hair, but I was a little apprehensive about having hair taken from my beard area right where everyone could see. The extraction sites just closed up in 4 days and disappeared with the exception of some redness. There is still some slight redness in the area and that is all.

To all of you skeptics out there… I believe caution and skepticism is the best attitude to have. A lot of promising technologies have proven to be a huge disappointment. For example wars were raging in the forums several years ago over the effectiveness of body hair. Acell has improved body and beard hair results/growth in Dr. Cole’s practice. Dr. Cole is cautious of new technologies promoted as medical “breakthroughs” and gave a particular new technology presented at the ISHRS meeting in the Bahamas, a resounding thumbs down.

My first surgery with Dr. Cole was in 2006. My most recent surgery indicated to me that the medical art of hair restoration has indeed moved forward.

Our most current video as of November 2012

Dr. Cole is cautious of
» new technologies promoted as medical “breakthroughs” and gave a particular
» new technology presented at the ISHRS meeting in the Bahamas, a resounding
» thumbs down.

Feel free to inform the hairsite community.

Thanks for the reply , its hard being a repair patient and working out what works and what doesn`t . Dr Cole has some great results without acell , i myself have had 3000 beard extracted without acell and have no marks on my face , i think given the right size of punch there should not be any scarring .

I have seen some awful results of strip scarring were acell was used , unfortunatly these patients seem to dissapear

I also would like to hear what got the thumbs down at the annual jolly if i where to guess, it would be were the Dr plucks a hair off yer ass , soaks it in acell and whacks it on yer bonce , " wallah , 12 months later you look like tarzan "

ejj

» For example wars were raging in the forums several
» years ago over the effectiveness of body hair.

Source: HTFI, Volume 21, Sept/Okt 2011, page 172

BHT – “Only a few such STUDIES [that’s still correct!] have been reported, most involving a LIMITED NUMBER of patients”.

I cite all this insofar, because some BHT gurus out there (1 in particular) claim that other “small-scale studies” carried out by other doctors/researchers in the hair transplant field “need larger, more comprehensive studies” to prove something (whether or not a new approach works indeed also in larger patient groups).

I find this highly comical – I guess Dr. Cole too.

» Dr. Cole is cautious of
» » new technologies promoted as medical “breakthroughs” and gave a
» particular
» » new technology presented at the ISHRS meeting in the Bahamas, a
» resounding
» » thumbs down.
»
»
» Feel free to inform the hairsite community.

When Dr. Cole returned from the Bahamas, he told me about the Histogen presentation he attended there. He was unimpressed because of the before and after images. Many of you are familiar with the strategy of obscuring details with a photo flash in before images and presenting the after images without photo flash. This of course should be avoided at all costs, especially if you are trying to promote a breakthrough medical technology. This statement should not be taken to imply that representatives of Histogen deliberately presented misleading photo evidence of hair growth. On the other hand if you ever present a medical breakthrough to a sophisticated audience like doctors, by all means present the highest quality images available.
Here is the link to Histogen’s PDF they have posted:

http://www.histogen.com/downloads/sid_2012_HSC_Final.pdf

Now this PDF is really a huge pixel dimension document. When opened and rasterized in PhotoShop, it reveals some relatively large dimension before and after images. To many people PhotoShop is synonymous with photo fakery. That is not necessarily the case. PhotoShop CAN be used to fake photos, but the newer versions have advanced technology that can find pixels obscured by a flash for instance. So PhotoShop has some very important and legitimate uses.

Histogen may very well be a breakthrough product, but Dr. Cole was unimpressed with the presentation because of the photo flash on the before images. On the bottom left image, I was able to correct the pixel contrast on the original before photo (From the PDF) and allow hair to become visible using “Shadow Highlight” that was obscured by the flash in the before. This is a good example of how a before image could be enhanced to look better than an after image.

Men with hair loss should always be skeptical of doctors whose “before” images have a bright flash indicated by a bright white area of scalp and the after images show an accurate scalp coloration.

» When Dr. Cole returned from the Bahamas, he told me about the Histogen
» presentation he attended there. He was unimpressed because of the before
» and after images. Many of you are familiar with the strategy of obscuring
» details with a photo flash in before images and presenting the after images
» without photo flash. This of course should be avoided at all costs,
» especially if you are trying to promote a breakthrough medical technology.
» This statement should not be taken to imply that representatives of
» Histogen deliberately presented misleading photo evidence of hair growth.
» On the other hand if you ever present a medical breakthrough to a
» sophisticated audience like doctors, by all means present the highest
» quality images available.
» Here is the link to Histogen’s PDF they have posted:
»
» http://www.histogen.com/downloads/sid_2012_HSC_Final.pdf
»
» Now this PDF is really a huge pixel dimension document. When opened and
» rasterized in PhotoShop, it reveals some relatively large dimension before
» and after images. To many people PhotoShop is synonymous with photo
» fakery. That is not necessarily the case. PhotoShop CAN be used to fake
» photos, but the newer versions have advanced technology that can find
» pixels obscured by a flash for instance. So PhotoShop has some very
» important and legitimate uses.
»
» Histogen may very well be a breakthrough product, but Dr. Cole was
» unimpressed with the presentation because of the photo flash on the before
» images.

Unfortunately, it’s not just that …
http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-110768-page-0-category-1-order-last_answer.html

»
» When Dr. Cole returned from the Bahamas, he told me about the Histogen
» presentation he attended there. He was unimpressed because of the before
» and after images. Many of you are familiar with the strategy of obscuring
» details with a photo flash in before images and presenting the after images
» without photo flash. This of course should be avoided at all costs,
» especially if you are trying to promote a breakthrough medical technology.
» This statement should not be taken to imply that representatives of
» Histogen deliberately presented misleading photo evidence of hair growth.

» On the other hand if you ever present a medical breakthrough to a
» sophisticated audience like doctors, by all means present the highest
» quality images available.
» Here is the link to Histogen’s PDF they have posted:
»

Of course you’re not implying that Histogen is deliberately misleading the public; you’re asserting it explicitly and with unquestionable clarity.

Dr. Cole should take care to apply his critical standards to his own regenerative efforts with acell.

CITNews, I agree with your and Dr. Cole’s assessment about Histogen. There’s obviously some issues with the pictures they have presented thus far, which is disappointing from a company a lot of hairloss sufferers have their hopes on.

At the same time, you mention that you have seen 60% donor regeneration with Acell. That’s a pretty bold statement to make without any evidence. If you can quantify the donor regeneration, then you must have preformed some type of analysis, i.e. hair counts, to end up at that number, correct? If that’s the case, then I think you should share this analysis.

» Of course you’re not implying that Histogen is deliberately misleading the
» public; you’re asserting it explicitly and with unquestionable clarity.

No Mr. Z, I DO NOT believe Histogen deliberately doctored photos. Rather, in my opinion they shot themselves in the foot. As a digital artist with sixteen years of experience, I look at the photos Histogen released and see four techniques that can make a before image appear worse than an after image:

1.) Flash on the before image is brighter than on the after image
2.) Low contrast on the young lady’s before photo.
3.) Blur on the young lady’s before photo
4.) Hair appears combed over the treated area on the lady’s after photo

This CAN and does happen unintentionally. It’s like rolling several twelves in a row at a craps table. I wouldn’t bet on someone doing that, but when it does happen, I don’t automatically assume foul play.

What Histogen did at the ISHRS reminds me of something I encountered in 1998. An IT friend asked me to look at an ISP’s website and suggest improvements. There was a lot of room for improvement and the thing that stood out was a spelling error. Whoever supplied the text on the existing site rambled on about the staff being knowledgeable and misspelled knowledgeable. They shot themselves in the foot. A spelling error like that does not prove a company is incompetent but it certainly doesn’t inspire confidence to help bring in new business. A doctor, of course must be extremely careful about what treatments they recommend to their patients. Dr. Cole told me that the Histogen presenter did not supply enough convincing evidence for him to consider trying it.

» 1.) Flash on the before image is brighter than on the after image

Any flash is misleading. Period.

» At the same time, you mention that you have seen 60% donor regeneration
» with Acell. That’s a pretty bold statement to make without any evidence. If
» you can quantify the donor regeneration, then you must have preformed some
» type of analysis, i.e. hair counts, to end up at that number, correct? If
» that’s the case, then I think you should share this analysis.

Every day, I try to learn something new related to what Dr. Cole is seeing both during surgery and when patients come back in.

The first time I heard the 60% Acell follicle regeneration statement was while Dr. Cole was having a conversation with another doctor.

The second time Dr. Cole mentioned up to 60% donor follicle regeneration in some patients with Acell was while he was describing how patients respond differently to the wide range of technologies and treatments.

I will ask him more about this.

»
» At the same time, you mention that you have seen 60% donor regeneration
» with Acell. That’s a pretty bold statement to make without any evidence. If
» you can quantify the donor regeneration, then you must have preformed some
» type of analysis, i.e. hair counts, to end up at that number, correct? If
» that’s the case, then I think you should share this analysis.

JJJ Jr. S
I just asked Dr. Cole about confirmation of the 60% Acell follicle regeneration. Dr. Cole explained to me how he determined that. We have scheduled time later today to shoot a video interview of Dr. Cole where he will address JJJ Jr. S’ question.

“Caution Advised Regarding Hair Marketing Campaigns” Oh the irony :wink: Gotta love the internet :stuck_out_tongue: