Can you give me an opinion on my 1830 grafts hair transplant?

FUE - 450 grafts

FUT - 1380 grafts

TOTAL: 1830 grafts

https://imgur.com/yIFy66O

I’m getting closer to the seventh month but I’m not satisfied with the current result, comparing it to other transplants on its sixth or seventh months. I don’t think it will ever look like what I was expecting.

I know my hair is very thin, so it contributes to the rarefied look. What also bothers me is the hairline having this noticeable difference in density. Depending on the lighting conditions, it really bothers me.

When I first complained about the density of the transplant, just after the surgery (which I was unconscious), my doctor said that when placing grafts, my scalp tended to “pop-out” grafts that were already placed if they were too close to each other, preventing him to add more. He mentioned the risk of wasting grafts if he insisted (I guess wasting those already placed grafts and also those that would end up losing viability while waiting to be placed).

Have you ever heard about something like this?

I recently complained about my results and he agreed to add some more grafts free of charge, but he didn’t want to commit to a specific number (once he mentioned that, if necessary, he could later add something like 400 units).

What’re your thoughts about it?

How many grafts you think would be necessary to properly cover this area?

Do you think it’s worth going there to get a few more units transplanted? Should I wait and save some money to get a new full hair transplant somewhere else?

Is there a chance that it will look “acceptable” by the following months?

Ps: Google brought me here. I’m from Brazil.

Thank you!

I think it’s odd that the strip was taken from only one side of your head. The corners look thin, but they probably will fill in some more.

That was the first thing I asked him.
I didn’t know he was planning to use only one side of my head until I woke up. He said the reason was to preserve the donor area on the other side.

Was a combination of strip and fue your idea. I mean how did you and the doctor reach the conclusion that a combo surgery would be better then fue alone? The number of grafts are too small to require such an approach.
Do you have pictures immediately after or a few days after transplant where we can see the transplanted grafts?

Was an implanter used for placing grafts? In addition to so called direct hair transplant,without microscopic examination, etc., implanters carry an inherent risk of popping out of grafts when placed at higher densities.
That’s why leading clinics do not use implanters. Nor is the direct hair transplant (DHT/DHI etc) , good for the grafts or patient.
Regars,
Dr. A

1 Like

Your case reminds me of patient nicknamed Hairlove. His account was quiet similar to yours before he reached us for repair.

1 Like

Who the hell did this transplant?? It looks highly unprofessional and bizarre. I’ve never seen a “lopsided” transplant like that before in my life.

Thank you for your reply, Dr_Arvind.

To place the grafts he used his own technique, with a kind of needle he developed which has a pin with a different shape. In practice, it works like an implanter, as he first loads the needle with a graft and then inserts it into the scalp at the same time the needle makes the incision.

I came to this doctor after watching this youtube channel where this guy documented the progress of his FUE+FUT transplant. They are from a city that is 500 km away from me, but things there are generally way less expensive than here, and I thought his outcome looked good, so I contacted the clinic and had an online pre-consultation.

This doctor does both FUE, FUT and the combination of both depending on the case. He mentions on his website that FUE extracted grafts can be placed closer to each other, as they have less tissue around them and FUT can provide a higher number of grafts.

On the day of the procedure he mentioned that only one technique would be suitable for my case, but I thought I would benefit from having both. So, maybe his choice was due to my request.

Here are some photos after the transplant.

Judging from the photos, how many grafts approximately would it need to fill it?

Thanks for the pictures and information.
Do not worry. Your situation is correctable. Just remember if you have any doubts, go for small initial session to get a feel.

Watch out for 2 things (my viewpoint) -

1. No slit and place method/no implanter
  2. Do not fall for the Direct hair (meaning doctor/tech NOT preparing the grafts removing unnecessary material) transplant.
    I have been hearing this newfound gimmick to lure patients in name of better yield. Not true at all. Run when you hear direct hair…:slight_smile:
2 Likes

Hello Dr Arvind, that is an interesting observation regarding DHI. Would you please elaborate more?
Hope you are doing well!

Regards