Can I use body hair first before using head hair?

To all transplant posters: I don’t want to touch my head hair, I like it the way it is. Will doctors agree to do a hair transplant using only body hairs even though I have very good density back of my head? Please answer if you understand what I am trying to do.

» To all transplant posters: I don’t want to touch my head hair, I like it
» the way it is. Will doctors agree to do a hair transplant using only body
» hairs even though I have very good density back of my head? Please answer
» if you understand what I am trying to do.

Of course. If you fully understand the consequences and the expectations of body hair transplant vs. scalp hair transplant, this is an acceptable approach.

What are your goals? What are you trying to accomplish?

There are very few, if any, excellent ht results that use BHT as the only hair source. Bht is a last resort or adjunct to scalp. You would be taking a gamble. The risk far outweighs the potential benefit. Head hair is the best source and gives the top results.

It is very important to fully understand the differences between the expectations of body hair versus scalp hair before making a decision. They have been discussed on this forum many times. The biggest differences are the numbers required and the fact body hair will not gain the same legnth/caliber as scalp hair. Where scalp hair will cover an area with 1000 grafts it may take (depending on your body hair characteristics) 2500=3000 body hair grafts or more for the same area for optimal coverage . Body hair is most often referred to as ‘filler hair’. When consulting about body hair always ask the M.D how much of each (scalp and body hair) it will take to fill the particular area that you are looking to cover. If they tell you that it will take the same number of grafts of both scalp and body hair you should should be a little hesitant to proceed with that M.D . There may be some cases from a person with exceptional/optimal body hair that the numbers will be close to the same but I would say on average this will not be the case.

So the answer to your question is ‘yes’ doctors will transplant body hair first before scalp but you really need to make sure that you discuss your expectations in detail. A good surgeon will be honest with you and turn the body hair option down if he doesnt feel it will fulfill your expectations.

17,000 Body Hair Grafts by Dr Umar
www.myhairtransformation.com

Funny you said that. I just met someone who asked me the exact same question. First off, can I have your age? Hair transplant is not for everyone. Most doctors do NOT take on patients who are too young. Also, have you tried other options such as Propecia, Minox, topical spiro etc ? Note what whether you are to have a hair transplant or not, you still need to follow a good regimen to maintain your hair count and slow down the progression of hair loss.

» Funny you said that. I just met someone who asked me the exact same
» question. First off, can I have your age? Hair transplant is not for
» everyone. Most doctors do NOT take on patients who are too young. Also,
» have you tried other options such as Propecia, Minox, topical spiro etc ?
» Note what whether you are to have a hair transplant or not, you still need
» to follow a good regimen to maintain your hair count and slow down the
» progression of hair loss.

Thanks everone. I am 23 with receeding hairline on the two edges. What is the worst that can happen for a bh only transplant? I don’t use Propecia because of side effects, I just started using Rogain foam. I don’t want to touch my head hair, if I lost all my body hair I don’t feel bad but I want tokeep my head hair the way it is. Thanks.

Dear Fastforward,
There are 3 different approaches that patients may opt for.

1. BHT first, while leaving the scalp donor untouched (to be used for future fine tuning where required).

2. Scalp hair first, (with possibly a test bht session at the same time). Body hair later as the scalp donor supply tapers off.

3. To use a mix of scalp and body hair (even facial hair), in a planned manner, anticipating that the hairloss may proceed to much higher norwood levels.

May I ask you -

1. the reason you wish to use only body hair first.
  2. Your current age, speed of hairloss and family history of extensive hairfall.
  3. The robustness of your proposed body donor hair.
  4. Are you taking any medications to stabilise your hairfall and have they been effective.
  5. are you aware that you may have to go for more hair transplants as time and your hairloss proceeds. Hair transplants are very rarely standalone sessions.

Answers to these questions alongwith some pictures of the proposed recipient and donor areas will help in better evaluation.

Please let me know if you have any additional queries.

Regards,
Dr. A

» Thanks everone. I am 23 with receeding hairline on the two edges. What is
» the worst that can happen for a bh only transplant? I don’t use Propecia
» because of side effects, I just started using Rogain foam. I don’t want to
» touch my head hair, if I lost all my body hair I don’t feel bad but I want
» tokeep my head hair the way it is. Thanks.

fastforward,

Just my opinion from someone older than you and been through losing hair at your age…do nothing, especially with haste. Give the meds a chance, at least twelve months. BH has no real proven results unlike scalp hair, even with the good doctors. The growth can be very different in look to scalp hair, and in a place like a hair line you could live to regret it…what is the worse thing that can happen?

1. It doesn’t grow and you are seriously out of pocket and hopes.
  2. Even if it grows it doesn’t match the look of your hair and you feel even worse than you do now.

» Thanks everone. I am 23 with receeding hairline on the two edges. What is
» the worst that can happen for a bh only transplant? I don’t use Propecia
» because of side effects, I just started using Rogain foam. I don’t want to
» touch my head hair, if I lost all my body hair I don’t feel bad but I want
» tokeep my head hair the way it is. Thanks.

You are too young to begin chasing hair transplants. Your hair loss needs to stabilize somewhat. I’m assuming that you mean a more pronounced “V” or “U” shape on your hairline. If you start now, then there is a good chance your hair loss will continue to get much worse. You will look ridiculous with restoring those areas because there will be baldness behind the transplanted hair.

Chances are you will be chasing a moving target for years to come.

Vic and checkingin, thanks for the advise. I can’t take meds because of side effects. I can only use something that is applied to the scalp such as Rogaine. I know there are risks that s why I do not want to touch my head hair so that I can continue to look as normal as possible. I see this is a way to reduce the risk I figure even if I wasted all body hair and none grew, that’s fine cause I don’t need them anyway.

Dr. Arvind, I am 23, father almost bald or at least very very thin, I want an approach that is the least risky so that even if something goes wrong I will still look normal. I will take some pictures. Thanks

» » To all transplant posters: I don’t want to touch my head hair, I like it
» » the way it is. Will doctors agree to do a hair transplant using only
» body
» » hairs even though I have very good density back of my head? Please
» answer
» » if you understand what I am trying to do.
»
» Dear Fastforward,
» There are 3 different approaches that patients may opt for.
» 1. BHT first, while leaving the scalp donor untouched (to be used for
» future fine tuning where required).
»
» 2. Scalp hair first, (with possibly a test bht session at the same time).
» Body hair later as the scalp donor supply tapers off.
»
» 3. To use a mix of scalp and body hair (even facial hair), in a planned
» manner, anticipating that the hairloss may proceed to much higher norwood
» levels.
»
» May I ask you -
» 1. the reason you wish to use only body hair first.
» 2. Your current age, speed of hairloss and family history of extensive
» hairfall.
» 3. The robustness of your proposed body donor hair.
» 4. Are you taking any medications to stabilise your hairfall and have
» they been effective.
» 5. are you aware that you may have to go for more hair transplants as time
» and your hairloss proceeds. Hair transplants are very rarely standalone
» sessions.
»
» Answers to these questions alongwith some pictures of the proposed
» recipient and donor areas will help in better evaluation.
»
» Please let me know if you have any additional queries.
»
» Regards,
» Dr. A

Fastforward!!!

There are too many SSShady shady shady responses to this 23 year old. He is 23 years old Dr. A and Jessica.:frowning:

LET ME STATE THIS AGAIN… HE IS 23 YEARS OLD. NOT ACCEPTABLE TO ENCOURAGE BHT AT THIS POINT. :frowning: :frowning:

The best advice here came from hairloss cure, justcheckin, vic, and hairsite.

If you want, you can email me your pics at hairsite@aol.com, I can set up a personal journal for you.

» Dr. Arvind, I am 23, father almost bald or at least very very thin, I
» want an approach that is the least risky so that even if something goes
» wrong I will still look normal. I will take some pictures. Thanks
»
»

Dear Fastforward,
You have not indicated your current speed of hairfall. Is it gradual or rapid.
Pictures depicting your hair situation and your proposed hair restoration will be helpful in further assesment.

Given your age and family history of hairloss, I will encourage you to delay hair transplants.

If you do go forward in near future, keep in mind that your hairloss is likely to proceed to the extent it has in case of your father and you will require multiple sessions.

In light of these, I would recommend that you use a mix of the various donor hair (including the scalp) whenever you go for your ht.

Let me know if you have any further enquiries.

Regards,
Dr. A

Listen fastforward… You are young buddy. You need to explore your options. Please do reasearch on many doctors… including mine. Don’t jump at the first doctor that jumps at you and speaks intelligently at your hairloss. Go see a doctor for consults. Real consults like doctors do in reality. BHT is still in its infancy and especially for the young. I was one of the first to help a doctor do BHT many years back. And there were good cases and not so good turn outs. Please study and research before you make your decision. I am begging you as a veteran tech.:slight_smile:

» Fastforward!!!
»
» There are too many SSShady shady shady responses to this 23 year old. He
» is 23 years old Dr. A and Jessica.:frowning:
»
» LET ME STATE THIS AGAIN… HE IS 23 YEARS OLD. NOT ACCEPTABLE TO
» ENCOURAGE BHT AT THIS POINT. :frowning: :frowning:
»
»
» The best advice here came from hairloss cure, justcheckin, vic, and
» hairsite.

I dont really see why its shady for him to get BHT, if it doesnt grow then he said who cares, if it does grow and he loses more hair then he can keep filling it in or just shave his head because there wont be a scar because he never used scalp hair. I see nothing wrong with this.

» » Fastforward!!!
» »
» » There are too many SSShady shady shady responses to this 23 year old.
» He
» » is 23 years old Dr. A and Jessica.:frowning:
» »
» » LET ME STATE THIS AGAIN… HE IS 23 YEARS OLD. NOT ACCEPTABLE TO
» » ENCOURAGE BHT AT THIS POINT. :frowning: :frowning:
» »
» »
» » The best advice here came from hairloss cure, justcheckin, vic, and
» » hairsite.
»
» I dont really see why its shady for him to get BHT, if it doesnt grow then
» he said who cares, if it does grow and he loses more hair then he can keep
» filling it in or just shave his head because there wont be a scar because
» he never used scalp hair. I see nothing wrong with this.

I know you don’t see nothing wrong with that… which in my opinion… is SHADY.

I often wonder just how productive these forums are in providing fair, accurate & balanced information to people.All I seem to see is mud slinging, dirty tricks & smear campaigns.

» I often wonder just how productive these forums are in providing fair,
» accurate & balanced information to people.All I seem to see is mud
» slinging, dirty tricks & smear campaigns.

I know right? Jesus the guy came in here to get advice on BHT and look what happened? Saddens me… BHT should be approached with ultimate caution. He is a human being. Not a ticket to do what ever you suggest. I just hope he reads and researches this.

» » I often wonder just how productive these forums are in providing fair,
» » accurate & balanced information to people.All I seem to see is mud
» » slinging, dirty tricks & smear campaigns.
»
» I know right? Jesus the guy came in here to get advice on BHT and look
» what happened? Saddens me… BHT should be approached with ultimate
» caution. He is a human being. Not a ticket to do what ever you suggest.
» I just hope he reads and researches this.

Hairtech,
Before you start offering your advises, I think it will be pertinent on your part to also state that the clinic for which you work has no experience in BHTs.

Dr. A has always taken a cautious and scientific approach towards the rational use of BHT resulting in the results that our patients have shared on the forums.

I am sorry that the patients you worked on did not have a decent result. It may be because different techniques are used.

Some of our BHT results are compiled at the following thread.
http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=48309&mode=full

Apart from these, you have recent result of Farscalpe and checkingin that I have yet to add to the link.

You need to get your facts straight about this one ok.

1. I was involved in BHT well before your doctor came out… Proof? Dr. Cole’s office in Atlanta for five years.
  2. The doctor I work for now is experienced with BHT also. Please keep the bashing real. I don’t mind getting critiqued but don’t undermine my experience.
  3. I am curious of how you take grafts with the hyperdermic needle also. I think it is interesting.
  4. This is an open forum of discussion. Different techniques/technicians/doctors who provide good work and results.