Body hair transplants & importance of hair cycles

Dear forum readers,
The following is part of the advice we give all our bht patients. I feel it will be of benefit to all bht patients alike.

Unlike the scalp donor hair, the body donor hair differs from the scalp hair in many variables.

Two of them-

1. Speed of growth of hair.
  2. %age of hair in growing phase, make a significant impact in certain situations.

Patients who go for a buzz cut/shave, long after their bht, will notice that a few weeks later, the scalp hair would have grown quite a bit but the body hair may not be visible to the same extent as it was earlier.

That is because, on one hand, buzz cut/shave ensured that the non growing (but still visible) hair have been got rid of.
On the other hand, since the speed of growth of body hair is much slower compared to the scalp hair, it may not be noticeable for a few weeks at least.
Thus, if one gets a bht or a hybrid (bht +scalp) procedure, one should either keep a buzz cut or a normal grown out hair length.
Yo-yo hair cuts, (alternately buzz cutting and then growing the hair long), is likely to make the coverage seem much less than what it is. This becomes more important as time passes and the transplanted body hair cycles become out of synch.

Therefore, one should not attempt to alternately buzz cut the scalp followed by letting it grow.
If one does so, please be aware that for a period of time following the buzz cut, till all the body hair again grows back, the appearance will be markedly thinner.

The first cycle after a BHT, most of the hair being in relatively synchronized hair growth cycles, will show a high number of hair in the active growth phase.
Over time, as the synchronicity of these growth cycles disintegrates, the coverage provided by these transplanted body hair, will depend on many factors. Some, atleast, will be in control of the patient. Awareness of those factors will aid the patient in getting the maximum benefit from the BHTs.

Regards,
Dr. A

I was able to make it back in to Dr. Cole’s for a follow-up related to the BHT density/growth study. As I have previously mentioned, I live within walking distance of Dr. Cole’s office, but was overdue to the point that the test areas had to be clipped down again for a growth check re-start beginning this Friday. My own busy schedule/experience underscores the difficulty doctors have in gathering data for these kind of studies.

The next round (beginning this Friday) will provide more accurate information but here are some preliminary observations:

1. Within 21 days the leg hair transplanted to the scalp grew about 1mm on average faster/longer than the native leg hair in the donor region.

2. Leg hair transplanted to my scalp that was not clipped, but has had a chance to grow for approx 10 months is between 5 and 10mm longer than the leg hair in its original donor region.

3. I have very coarse leg hair, but it is spaced approx. 3.5 to 7 mm apart on my leg. On my scalp the transplanted leg hair was placed at a greater density. As close as 1.4mm apart. The leg hair is continuing to grow at this greater density on my scalp at around 10 mos. post-op

I only have 1 requirement of BHT
That the hair transplanted from the body actually grows in the scalp.I don’t care it looks like scalp hair or not.I don’t care if it only grows 1cm.I just want hair in my scalp & scar to be visible by at least 6 months after surgery.After a BHT I would never leave my hair long,I would cut it short & comb it forward.I’d get that US Marine look,know what I mean ? As long as there is no bald scalp on my head I don’t care how my hair style looks.I will wear my hair short for the rest of my life.I’d even go for the buzz cut,as long as there is a black dot on my scalp instead of baldness I would be very happy.
I have grown so desperate,I don’t even care about white dots on my body anymore.

» I only have 1 requirement of BHT
» That the hair transplanted from the body actually grows in the scalp.I
» don’t care it looks like scalp hair or not.I don’t care if it only grows
» 1cm.I just want hair in my scalp & scar to be visible by at least 6 months
» after surgery.After a BHT I would never leave my hair long,I would cut it
» short & comb it forward.I’d get that US Marine look,know what I mean ? As
» long as there is no bald scalp on my head I don’t care how my hair style
» looks.I will wear my hair short for the rest of my life.I’d even go for
» the buzz cut,as long as there is a black dot on my scalp instead of
» baldness I would be very happy.
» I have grown so desperate,I don’t even care about white dots on my body
» anymore.

Damon, that is the perfect way to think of BHT. My thoughts going in for a measure of success was that the hair grew as long as it did in it’s native region of the body. Any increase in length is gravy!! BTW, unless you scar very badly, the dots issue will be minimal at worst and not even noticeable at best.

The shorter hair style gives you a lot of freedom you don’t have when your hair is long and you are balding!! Plus, it doesn’t really matter whether the hair grows 1/2 inch or 10 inches. Best of Luck!!

» I only have 1 requirement of BHT
» That the hair transplanted from the body actually grows in the scalp.I
» don’t care it looks like scalp hair or not.I don’t care if it only grows
» 1cm.I just want hair in my scalp & scar to be visible by at least 6 months
» after surgery.After a BHT I would never leave my hair long,I would cut it
» short & comb it forward.I’d get that US Marine look,know what I mean ? As
» long as there is no bald scalp on my head I don’t care how my hair style
» looks.I will wear my hair short for the rest of my life.I’d even go for
» the buzz cut,as long as there is a black dot on my scalp instead of
» baldness I would be very happy.
» I have grown so desperate,I don’t even care about white dots on my body
» anymore.

Damon,

I agree with what others have said. I feel really bad for you and the suicidal thoughts you’re having. Sometimes an action plan is enough to bring us up out of that morass of depression.
Whatever you do, please stay on here and keep talking to all of us.

Dear forum readers,
Following is a graphic illustration that depicts how the synchronization of the hair cycles disintegrates over time. Each hair has its own unique hair cycle. It may get a boost depending on various factors. However, the growth cycles will not radically change from one type to another.

Regards,
Dr. A

» Dear forum readers,
» Following is a graphic illustration that depicts how the synchronization
» of the hair cycles disintegrates over time. Each hair has its own unique
» hair cycle. It may get a boost depending on various factors. However, the
» growth cycles will not radically change from one type to another.
»
»
»

»
» Regards,
» Dr. A

Is there any part of the body that takes to growing on the scalp better than others?