Body hair loss

I am wondering about the effects of 5alpha-reductase inhibitors (Propecia and Avodart) on body hair loss.

I have heard testimonials saying that they can thin body hair but I cant find documentation. The reason I ask is because I have a significant amount of body hair and I am considering taking one of the two drugs to try to thin it out.

I also have a family history of baldness even though I have yet to see signs. I was thinking about taking propecia anyway but I was just wondering if anyone knew about the body hair thinning and if these would be reasons to start taking the meds.

Any testimonials would also be welcome.

Thanks

Copied from http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/propecia_cp.htm

“In one of the two vertex baldness studies, patients were questioned on non-scalp body hair growth. PROPECIA did not appear to affect non-scalp body hair.”

I have seen that statement before but my understanding is that they only inquired about increased body hair growth which was unaffected. They did not study if there was hair loss. I could be wrong but my understanding f the science is that the 5DHT that leads to baldness also leads to excessive body hair growth. One would think that taking propecia would decrease the amount of body hair.

anyone know?

» Copied from http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/propecia_cp.htm
»
» “In one of the two vertex baldness studies, patients were questioned on
» non-scalp body hair growth. PROPECIA did not appear to affect non-scalp
» body hair.”

Propecia is supposed to have an opposite effect on body hair. This was discussed before in the hair transplant forum.

» I am wondering about the effects of 5alpha-reductase inhibitors (Propecia
» and Avodart) on body hair loss.
»
» I have heard testimonials saying that they can thin body hair but I cant
» find documentation. The reason I ask is because I have a significant
» amount of body hair and I am considering taking one of the two drugs to
» try to thin it out.
»
» I also have a family history of baldness even though I have yet to see
» signs. I was thinking about taking propecia anyway but I was just
» wondering if anyone knew about the body hair thinning and if these would
» be reasons to start taking the meds.
»
» Any testimonials would also be welcome.
»
» Thanks

Taking propecia or avodart for the soul purpose of thinning out body hair is the most asinine thing I have ever read.If you are going to take propecia take it the second you notice your balding.
Just for the record,I noticed that my body hair got thicker & darker once I started taking propecia.
If you have issues with body hair try waxing or try laser hair removal.

When thinking of all the problems propecia entails (screwing my hormones), my advice is flat: DON’T EVER TAKE IT FOR SUCH A FLIMSY PURPOSE.

The original uses of 5alpha reductase inhibitors were to treat BPH and prostate cancer. It just so happens that it helps to treat baldness. Im sure those original users would have had the same response to people using propecia for baldness.

Baldness and excessive body hair are both cosmetic reasons for taking a drug. I find it impossible to draw a clear distinction them. One could argue that both purposes are equally flimsy.

My question was does it reduce body hair. Theoretically it should but if it doesnt then it would obviously not be worth taking for me. If it does thin body hair then its just one more use for propecia. The purpose of my post was to investigate those effects.

» When thinking of all the problems propecia entails (screwing my hormones),
» my advice is flat: DON’T EVER TAKE IT FOR SUCH A FLIMSY PURPOSE.

I 've read somewhere that aromatase inhibitors (which are as ill-advised as finasteride) had the ability to reduce body hair… Do a little research if you like.

If the excessive BH bothers you that much, consider a more permanent way of removing it or thinning it otherwise you will always have to deal with it.