Board members I need your help

:clap: I have been an avid blood/platelet donor for the last 3 years. I was recentley informed that I can no longer donate because I am taking propecia. The reason it is banned is because it could pose a risk if the donated blood is given to a pregnant woman. I would need to wait 1 month after stopping to drug to resume donating.

I feel this is unfair and are denying people who wouldnt be affected by the drug a chance to receive a life saving treatment. Propecia isn’t a drug you take for a certain period of time then stop. Its a drug you take until you lose the war.

I wrote a letter to the FDA to request that the ban on propecia donors be reviewed. I feel they should just mark the bag “don’t give to pregnant women” or “men only” like other drugs/medical devics that could be harmful to pregnant women are labeled.

The FDA responded that I need to contact the American Association of Blood Banks to complain. I wrote a leter to the Association and was told its up to the FDA. One thing the FDA did say is that there are certain conditions that an exception can be made where they wouldnt have been allowed previously.

I’m not sure who is the body who has the ability to make a change but and urging/requesting all board members take the time to either E-mail or write a letter to the FDA and the AABB, demanding a review of this policy. It’s bad enough that we have to go through life with this condition, atleast let us get the satisfaction of helping save someone’s life.

Contact FDA
(800) 835-4709
(301) 827-1800
ocod@fda.hhs.gov
Consumer Affairs Branch (CBER)
Division of Communication and Consumer Affairs

Office of Communication, Outreach and Development

Food and Drug Administration

1401 Rockville Pike

Suite 200N/HFM-47

Rockville, MD 20852-1448

AABB