BHT - results v/s opinions?

I am befudduled.
Sorry, I am not a very regular reader. I dont understand a few things. Any help and advise will not go waste.

There are all these results of BHT. Even in the last month there has been 3 or 4. Yet, there is this slew of negativisn. Then again, all the good (I hope) doctors are doing bht. While the doctors who are not doing bht are most vocal against it.
What is the issue exactly? I almost believed BHT doesnt work going by the strident opinions of some. But given the results, farscalpe, endhairpiece and Viking, I waver.

Most important, why are the 2 most experienced bht doctors - Dr. A and Dr. Woods - not stopping BHT if it doesnt work.

I am rambling, but I hope you understand what I am trying to ask. I foyu do, let me know the naswers. Who do I believe?

Listen ARUN I completely understand your confusion. It is certanly strange to see negative posts and pictures and all the hoopla involved.

BHT started not long ago as a potential extension of the donor area, that being the scalp. Years ago when it started everyone was really exstatic about it. I was exstatic about it. I was working for what I thought was a pioneer in BHT. I got to dive completely into the BHT and see these grafts from different parts of the body under a microscope. Woods clearly pioneered BHT. We all know that. But Woods has always maintained a respect for what it was then and what it is now. It is a last resort method… after all else has failed. Woods still maintains that it has to be approached cautiosly. That has kept Dr. Woods from ever going under fire because he does not recklessly transplant BHT on everyone.

Now after Woods pioneered the BHT years ago other doctors undertook BHT. Around 2003/4 BHT took off like hot cakes by a few physicians in the states. Here is where the negativity begins to happen. I will not name physicians because I am giving them the dougt that they all wanted to what was right. But then BHT was offered more and more and no documentation and/or studies were performed. As time went on results started coming out and they were not great. There was one guy (DJ) that got excellent results, and based on his results IMO was more BHT performed… still not knowing if it was a significant option. ANd then 5 years later you have heliboy, sofar and DJ as the only select few patients that had significant results.

And then you have a slew of poor results from BHT. So there you have it in a very cut down nut shell. I would not add endhairpiece to the BHT hall of fame yet because it has been 5 months only and he had scalp hair transplants mixed into his scalp which is a better approach to what they did in the beginning.

When the first couple of meggassessions came out they were BHT only cases. Folks got smart to add a mixture of scalp and BHT to offset BHT because BHT IS KNOWN TO GROW AT A RATE almost twice that of scalp.

More negativity developed out of a few clinics posting pictures of scalp/BHT cases as BHT transplanted only. I saved every post like that because they were later changed to reflect the truth and only after folks like me and other postes calling them out.

So does this sort of help you? Probably not because it still does not answer your questions. Below are BHT only references not scalp transplant Q & A because many of these can also be asked of scalp transplants. But we are focusing on BHT.

Does BHT work on everyone? No
Has there been successes in BHT transplants? Yes
Have there been serious failures? Yes and these failures I have calculated cost patients just at the top of my head over $500,000 spanned across just 8 patients that I know of.

Should BHT be abandoned? NO it is something we need to figure out how to make work on ALL patients so that it is a true extension of the donor area.

I want more than anything for BHT to work but at who’s cost. The patient at $5 to $10 per graft as a gamble? Should we still perform meggassesions at these prices and not knowing outcomes by predictability?

Most diceplines in medicine have a predictability. Not in this dicipline and especially BHT.

NO ONE CAN PREDICT ONE SINGLE PATIENT THAT HAS ONE BHT TRANSPLANT IN TRUTH AND ACCURACY IF IT WILL GROW OR NOT.

Why?

It’s very political.
The HT business is a dirty business in many ways.

Don’t listen to people that make grand, sweeping statements.
Especially without proof or documentation of any kind.

People slander good docs and promote others that only do strip.
Get the picture?

Many folks who post regularly are paid by clinics and should openly say so in the signatures.

BHT grows in the right doc’s hands.

If you have good quality body hair, BHT can be very useful.
However, BHT is not the same as head hair.

IMO, the hybrid HT is the way to go.
Have some FUE and a BHT test at the same time.

Wait a year (on the BHT) and then decide whether or not to proceed with large numbers.

Pick your doc carefully.
I’ve only seen good results from about three docs.

Don’t rush in.
My 2 cents.

I completely agree with Sofar’s hybrid and testing. I might add that a test should be free and be of significant numbers to see growth.

» I completely agree with Sofar’s hybrid and testing. I might add that a
» test should be free and be of significant numbers to see growth.

Do doctors do free test bht? free fue?

» It’s very political.
» The HT business is a dirty business in many ways.
»
» Don’t listen to people that make grand, sweeping statements.
» Especially without proof or documentation of any kind.
»
» People slander good docs and promote others that only do strip.
» Get the picture?
»
» Many folks who post regularly are paid by clinics and should openly say so
» in the signatures.
»
» BHT grows in the right doc’s hands.
»
» If you have good quality body hair, BHT can be very useful.
» However, BHT is not the same as head hair.
»
» IMO, the hybrid HT is the way to go.
» Have some FUE and a BHT test at the same time.
»
» Wait a year (on the BHT) and then decide whether or not to proceed with
» large numbers.
»
» Pick your doc carefully.
» I’ve only seen good results from about three docs.
»
» Don’t rush in.
» My 2 cents.

I get the drift. Thanks.
Why do docs try to push strip when they earn more by fue?

First, I agree with everything Sofarsogood commented about BHT.

Why do Dr’s push strip?
Some Dr’s push strip because they don’t do enough “FUE” to be good at it (fast and get good growth). On the other hand, Dr. Cole is the opposite, he is great at both strip and “CIT” which is his patented version of FUE. Dr. Cole did a strip on a friend of mine roughly 6 months ago. I believe the reason was to eliminate a previous strip scar. I asked my friend if I could have a look. He showed me where the incision was, but I couldn’t see any evidence of a scar at all. I asked him if he knew why Dr. Cole doesn’t promote strip surgeries and he replied that the scar (even his) is at risk of widening over time. His was a small strip procedure of only 1200 grafts. A smaller surgery reduces the chance of a strip scar widening because of less tension.