Bald? Now there\'s a jab to make hair grow back Read more

I’ve not been here for along time,but I came across this,What do you think.
I actually thought I’d got over my hairloss,but once again I’ve been hit with that depressing feeling

Scientists may soon be able to grow new hair on balding scalps, avoiding the need for a hair transplant. Researchers have succeeded in creating new human hair in the laboratory using tiny cells that fuel its growth.
The technique has been used to grow new hair follicles in animals, and is now being tested on humans.
The tiny cells, called dermal papillae, are found at the base of the follicles, below the skin where the hair is anchored. They provide nourishment for the follicles.

In the new procedure, the cells, which are taken from donor tissue, are first cultured in the lab before being injected into the skin where hair is needed.
The main type of hair loss in both men and women is androgenetic alopecia, also known as male or female-pattern hair loss.
Male-pattern baldness, which affects around 6.5 million men, usually begins above the temples and can occur at any age; the receding hairline eventually forms a characteristic ‘M’ shape. The hair at the top of the head also thins, progressing to baldness.
Around a third of women also experience hair loss, with many affected by female-pattern hair loss.
This begins with gradual thinning at the parting line, followed by increasingly widespread hair loss radiating from the top of the head.
However, the female hairline rarely recedes, and it is very uncommon for a woman to become bald.
Male-pattern baldness is usually inherited and is thought to be caused by hair follicles being oversensitive to dihydrotestosterone, which is produced by the male hormone testosterone. As a result, the follicles shrink and eventually stop functioning.
Other possible causes include physical and emotional stress, as well as medications for depression, acne, heart disease, high cholesterol, ulcers, and gout, as well as the Pill.
‘Cells, which are taken from donor tissue, are first cultured in the lab before being injected into the skin where hair is needed’
There are no cures for male baldness, although medications can slow hair loss. Minoxidil lotion, for example, is applied to the scalp and can stimulate regrowth after about 12 weeks.
There is also hair transplant surgery, where, under local anaesthetic, a small piece of scalp is removed from an area where there is plenty of hair.
It is then divided into single hairs or tiny groups of hairs, which are then grafted onto areas where there is none - but it is expensive. The new technique shows it is possible to form completely new hair follicles - a major step forward. Previously scientists have successfully used the technique to grow human hairs on the back of mice. Now the first human study is underway in Taiwan with around 400 men and women. Patients who are undergoing cosmetic surgery at the National Taiwan University Hospital are providing samples of dermal papillae cells from their scalps. These will then be cultured in the lab and implanted into bald patients.
The idea is that this will lead to the growth of new follicles for the first time, rather than transplanting existing hair from one site to another.
The technique could be suitable for people with a limited number of follicles, including those with female-pattern hair loss, scarring alopecia and hair loss due to burns.

See link

I thought dermal papillae cells couldnt be cultured? hasnt this always been the sticking point?

this news has already been here one a time. let’s wait and hope.

DP cells have now been officially cultured by 6 different asian labs so that’s that out of the way.
The bald truth forums has the skinny on it

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by appleguy[/postedby]
DP cells have now been officially cultured by 6 different asian labs so that’s that out of the way.
The bald truth forums has the skinny on it[/quote]

The problem is not that they can’t be cultured, it’s that once cultured they lose their inductivity-- ability to grow hair. Dr. Jahoda and Dr. Christiano demonstrated in 2013 that this loss of inductivity can be partially reversed by using certain culture techniques. Their idea is that maybe in the future it can totally be reversed.

If you’re talking about cells which were previously thought to be “unculturable”, maybe you mean HF stem cells or progenitor cells, which are not DP cells. The Taiwan study is being wrongly touted as new, but actually started in 2006. The fact that they’re using DP cells is nothing new, because they were when they started in 2006.

I’m not aware that any lab in Asia has substantially improved upon the Christiano/Jahoda studies with DP cells. Anyone know more specific details about this?

If a real breakthrough was mentioned on the BT forums, you’d think Spencer would mention it on his show. But all we hear about on the show lately is lectures about how the people in the hairloss forums are crazy lunatics, and we should sit back and continue to use Propecia and Rogaine and not question anything.

And that strip HTs are great.

Desmond posted this.

Hi Guys,

The scientists @ Nanfang Hospital of Southern Medical University in China just published this article. They confirmed that the expression of several genes and proteins associated with hair follicle inductivity of DP cells, such as NCAM, Versican and α-SMA were maintained using this 3D Matrigel Culturing Method.

THREE DIFFERENT TEAMS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD HAVE MANAGED TO CRACK THIS ISSUE IN THE LAST 3 MONTHS Jahoda/Christiano, Taiwan Uni & Now the Chinese. We are so close Here’s the abstract:

Controllable production of transplantable adult human high-passage dermal papilla spheroids using 3D Matrigel culture

We have succeeded in culturing human dermal papilla (DP) cells spheroids and developed a three-dimensional Matrigel (basement membrane matrix) culture technique that can enhance and restores DP cells unique characteristics in vitro.

When 10000 DP cells were cultured on the 96 well plates pre-coated with Matrigel for 5 days, both passage 2 and passage 8 DP cells formed spheroidal microtissues with a diameter of 150-250 μm in an aggregative and proliferative manner. We transferred and re-cultured these DP spheroids onto commercial plates. Cells within DP spheres could disaggregate and migrate out, which was similar to primary DP. Moreover, we examined the expression of several genes and proteins associated with hair follicle inductivity of DP cells, such as NCAM, Versican and α-SMA, and confirmed that their expression level was elevated in the spheres compared with the dissociated DP cells. To examine hair-inducing ability of DP spheres, hair germinal matrix cells and DP spheres were mixed and cultured on Matrigel. Unlike the dissociated DP cells and hair germinal matrix cells co-cultured in two dimensions, hair germinal matrix cells can differentiate into hair-like fibers under the induction of the DP spheres made from the high passage cells (passage 8) in vitro.

We are the first to show that passage 3 human hair germinal matrix cells differentiate into hair-like fiber in the presence of human DP spheroids.

These results suggest that three-dimensional Matrigel culture technique is an ideal culture model for forming DP spheroids and that sphere formation partially models the intact DP, resulting in hair induction, even by high passage DP cells.

http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/ten.TEA.2013.0547

This news from China is great. I will study it. I don’t see how this a big improvement over Jahoda/Christiano yet, although it might be, or it might be leading in that direction. We don’t know if the de novo “hair-like fibers” grown here are any better than the ones grown by Jahodnoa and Christiano.

This was also posted by Desmond in regards to other teams cracking the same problem at the 2014 Korean 8th world congress for hair research:

Hey guys, the abstract titles for this year’s Hair congress just got announced and some of these talks look absolutely ground breaking. Here’s the TOP SIX presentations that I picked out which show 6 different research teams cracking the DP culturing problems, while another team has found what makes the DP cells in the MPB zone so different to the permanent zone. It’s also interesting to note that these 6 teams are NOT part of the Chinese or Taiwanese teams we already knew about.

It seems that this beast is about to be cracked I will post more information once more information is published. Science is finally giving us the answers we were waiting for

Here are the titles:

1. P032: GENOME-WIDE EXPRESSION PROFILE ANLYSIS OF 3D CULTURED DERMAL PAPILLA CELLS FROM ANDROGENIC ALOPECIA PATIENTS
    Weixin Fan

2. P081 (WS3): DERMAL-EPIDERMAL INTERACTIONS IN 3D CULTURE RESTORE MARKERS OF DERMAL PAPILLA INDUCTIVITY
    Aaron Gardner

3. P082 (WS3): 3D MICRO HAIR FOLLICLE CULTURE IN A DYNAMIC CHIP BIOREACTOR
    Beren Atac

4. P202 (SY10): REPROGRAMMING REGULAR SKIN FIBROBLASTS INTO HAIR INDUCING DERMAL PAPILLA CELLS
    Carlos Clavel

5. P221 (FC6): ENHANCING EXPRESSION OF HAIR INDUCTION MARKERS IN HUMAN DERMAL PAPILLA CELLS
    ARP Sari

6. P228 (SY3): OPTIMIZED PREPARATION OF DERMAL PAPILLA CELL (DP) AND DERMAL SHEATH CELL (DS) CONSTRUCT FOR HAIR REGENERATION
    Koji Kanayama

On a side note, the third title points out to growing hair germs (microtissues) in a bioreactor to maturations prior to transplantation. Sounds very cool!

What a great year so far A big thumbs up to all these researchers working towards a final cure.

Thanks for posting this excellent news. This gives us hope once again, lets do it

Am I wrong, but most stage one clinical trials have just a few participants, but the current trial includes over 400 individuals? That is significant in it self! Very positive!

China does everything LARGE !!! lol

Here’s the titles to all the abstracts, thanks to Desmond.

http://www.hair2014.org/contents.asp?midx=8&sidx=75&openpage=8&menuov=Accepted%20Abstract