Here’s the good news:
- In the latest iteration ALL of the clients grew at least some hairs, with an efficacy as high as 103%. Awesome!
- Results from latest cohort appeared very shortly – in 6/12 weeks!
- ICX-TRC is very safe, with no reports of tumors, scars, etc from the procedure
- Results are NOT enough to undermine the HT industry, thus making them more receptive of using HM as a “filler” for vertex/crown – perhaps (ironically) aiding in commercialization
- Nevertheless, Intercytex’s results are promising enough that they will likely have a product from ICX-TRC (eventually) – at least to compete with Rogaine, HTs, propecia, etc
Here’s the bad news:
- It’s taking a LOT longer than expected, even by Intercytex’s own predictions – and it’s clear the earlier Phase II trials were failures (2/5 clients with regrowth is worse than Phase I)
- We don’t know the scalp characteristics of the clients – will ICX-TRC work on completely bald scalp, for example?
- More waiting – until spring of 2008 – for next cohort’s results
- The dispersion of results is ENORMOUS – i.e., very low accuracy
- They didn’t report the median or mean growth count in the last sub-group (which seems odd to me), so the dispersion could be like this: 13%, 14%, 13%, 15%, 103%
- They don’t even bother mentioning the cosmetic feasibility of these hairs – are they full hairs with natural-looking growth?
- The best possible spin on these results is: “increase hair counts” and “encouraging”
And here’s the weird news:
- Two patients have been “lost” on follow-up – what the f**k? Is this incompetence by Intercytex, a way to “hide” unpromising results, or what?
- “Stimulation” of the epidermis prior to injection aids in efficacy – what does this mean? Could it (ahem) refer to some kind of micro-level wounding?
- Why is Phase II taking so long if results are visible by 6-24 weeks? Those are MONTHS, not YEARS!
- Do these hairs cycle like normal hairs and are they resistant to DHT?
- Why not take a full photograph of the scalp now, rather than at the end of the trial?
In short: anyone interested in trying out needling/lithium/DMSO??