Avodart - need some advice

Hay guys im new on this forum but have been following many posts for the past year.

So i’ve been on propecia for 5 years in combination with 5% minoxidil and started nizoral at the beginning of this year.

My problem is that the propecia is ceasing to work. My right temple is thinning and receding fast and i can see that my left is on its way.

Initially i ignored it but the thinning increased. I decided to up the dose to 1.5 mg’s a day as many of you have mentioned on this site. As of such nothing has happened which is a good 6 months down the line.

Im only 25 (young) like many of you on this forum so as you can imagine, it sux to be young and bald.

Im considering my options:

1. Many have mentioned adding lysine to the regime increases the effectiveness of propecia although there’s no scientific proof.

2. Increase the dose of propecia maybe to half a proscar tab?

3. The option im considering the most is changing over to avodart (dust)

I was wondering if any of you guys have made the change and whether there was any difference both in effectiveness and side effects. Im really cautious about changing over because Dust is not FDA approved and the side effects are by and large unknown although it is approved as prostate medicine.

Another point that is worrying is that some guys have actually lost ground in using Dust through major sheds.

I have done the research and now im just wondering if there are any other guys out there that are experiencing the same effects and are considering the change over or anyone that has any advice for me.

Thanks guys

alternate one day dutasteride & one day propecia and see if that helps.

take standardized pictures with the same lighting, distance and hair length so you don’t start halucinating about gaining or losing hair.

Hi I have been taking Avodart daily at 0.5 mgs for 12 weeks for my hairloss. I have not seen any positive change . Can someone please tell me how long do I have to take it b4 I see some change …Please help!!!

» Hay guys im new on this forum but have been following many posts for the
» past year.
»
» So i’ve been on propecia for 5 years in combination with 5%
» minoxidil and started nizoral at the beginning of this year.
»
» My problem is that the propecia is ceasing to work. My right temple
» is thinning and receding fast and i can see that my left is on its way.
»
» Initially i ignored it but the thinning increased. I decided to up the dose
» to 1.5 mg’s a day as many of you have mentioned on this site. As of such
» nothing has happened which is a good 6 months down the line.
»
» Im only 25 (young) like many of you on this forum so as you can imagine, it
» sux to be young and bald.
»
» Im considering my options:
»
» 1. Many have mentioned adding lysine to the regime increases the
» effectiveness of propecia although there’s no scientific proof.
»
» 2. Increase the dose of propecia maybe to half a proscar tab?
»
» 3. The option im considering the most is changing over to avodart (dust)
»
» I was wondering if any of you guys have made the change and whether there
» was any difference both in effectiveness and side effects. Im really
» cautious about changing over because Dust is not FDA approved and the side
» effects are by and large unknown although it is approved as prostate
» medicine.
»
» Another point that is worrying is that some guys have actually lost ground
» in using Dust through major sheds.
»
» I have done the research and now im just wondering if there are any other
» guys out there that are experiencing the same effects and are considering
» the change over or anyone that has any advice for me.
»
» Thanks guys

Hey TheDude. I’ve been in this hair loss fight for going on 20 years. I’m convinced propecia never loses its effectivness. What happens is a mans hormones will change in the case of a person into their 30’s OR a younger man will have poor eating habits which also has a devastating effect on hormone levels. The bottom line is to keep NATURAL testosterone levels as high as possible by avoiding junk food and sugar especially. Also get on a weight lifting program which naturally raises testosterone. Weight lifting along with hill running (pretty steep hills) will increase testosterone and growth hormone naturally which will protect the hair while on propecia. DO NOT use bodybuilding supplements which purport to raise testosterone, these supplements are awful for hair. Stay away from creatine and also allergy medication. Claratin and allegra will wreck hair. There is a protein called SHGB which if the level in the body is high- hair will be gone. Testosterone (naturally made) is an antagonist to SHGB and keeps it low. DHT is formed as a result of high levels of SHGB. This scenario has nothing to do with how propecia works- preventing testosterone conversion to DHT. So if a mans SHGB is high- there is zero defense against hairloss- hence believing propecia doesnt work anymore when nothing is further from the truth.

Thank you guys for sharing these useful information.

Dutasteride is 3 times more potent than finasteride. :slight_smile: