Arterial Stiffness & Aga study

Androgenetic alopecia is associated with increased arterial stiffness in asymptomatic young adults.

AuthorsAgac MT, et al. Show all Journal
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2014 Mar 14. doi: 10.1111/jdv.12424. [Epub ahead of print]

Affiliation
Abstract
BACKGROUND: Association of androgenetic alopecia (AGA) with increased incidence of hypertension, a strong risk factor for coronary artery disease, has been suggested. However, there are no data on arterial stiffness measures of asymptomatic young adults with AGA.

OBJECTIVE: In this study, we aimed to investigate the association of the AGA with arterial stiffness assessed by cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI), in asymptomatic young men.

METHODS: A total of 162 asymptomatic men aged between 18 and 45 years were consecutively enrolled to the study. Subjects were considered to have AGA if they have ≥3 grade vertex alopecia according to Hamilton-Norwood scale. Arterial stiffness was assessed by CAVI and defined as abnormal if CAVI is ≥8.

RESULTS: Frequency of abnormal CAVI was higher in patients with AGA (29.3% vs. 10.0%, P = 0.003). Subjects with AGA had higher mean CAVI than subjects without AGA (7.56 ± 0.93 vs. 7.15 ± 0.79, P = 0.004). Binary logistic regression analysis demonstrated that presence of AGA (OR, 5.6; 95% CI, 1.7-20.0, P = 0.006), age (OR, 1.1; 95% CI, 1.0-1.2, P = 0.03) and diastolic blood pressure (OR, 1.1; 95% CI, 1.0-1.3, P = 0.005) were independently associated with abnormal CAVI.

CONCLUSION: We concluded that, AGA might be an indicator of arterial stiffness in asymptomatic young adults.

© 2014 European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology.

I wish I’d had a massive coronary on the same day I realized I was losing my hair.