Another message for the natural and the bucket (sorry guys)

Hey guys,

just wanted to say thanks for all your advice on your regimes!!
Just ordered my 6 month supply of the supplements from iherb.com and can’t wait to get started!!

Just one last question i forgot to ask… as well as better scalp condition and less hair fall, have any of you experienced thickening of the actual hair follicles? and if so how soon should i expect to notice any differences?

My hair fall isn’t really as bad as the actual thinning so just wondering if this regime will help with that side also?

Sorry again guys for a repeated question but your advice really means alot!!

thanks

Dannyboy

Hey Danny, I can’t remember where we left off last time. But anyway, my regimen has changed slightly:

mornings: vitamin D3, vitamin K, magnesium citrate

afternoons: curcumin, resveratrol

evenings: vitamin C, MSM

And at night, I will also take fo-ti for my knees and general health.

From personal experience: within a month, you should notice a drastic reduction in dandruff and much less scalp irritation. By the second month, your hair loss should be much less.

Between the second - third month, my hair loss completely stopped. And that was 2 1/2 years ago! The hair in the crown and temple areas does remain a bit thinner than other parts, but this hair looks so much better now than it did before. And after a good hair cut, it is quite difficult to tell that I have even lost any hair.

Hopefully, you will have similar success!

TN

» Hey guys,
»
» just wanted to say thanks for all your advice on your regimes!!
» Just ordered my 6 month supply of the supplements from iherb.com and can’t
» wait to get started!!
»
» Just one last question i forgot to ask… as well as better scalp
» condition and less hair fall, have any of you experienced thickening of the
» actual hair follicles? and if so how soon should i expect to notice any
» differences?
»
» My hair fall isn’t really as bad as the actual thinning so just wondering
» if this regime will help with that side also?
»
» Sorry again guys for a repeated question but your advice really means
» alot!!
»
» thanks
»
» Dannyboy

It’s hard to say for me because my regimen is more preventative than regrowth. I started very early after just starting to lose my temples. So all the hair I have on top and in the crown and in front is already thick to begin with. I’m like a NW 1.5. But I would say the follicles continue to look as thick as they did 4 years ago when I started getting into this.

By the way, just started exfoliating my scalp every few days with coffee grounds, and then pouring red apple cider vinegar over it and massaging it in, all in the shower of course so no mess. Wow, I don’t know if it does anything for growth but the hair looks so much healthier, I would assume it would grow better. I started because I was reading about how a oily flaky scalp is a cause of hair loss, so I’m trying to keep my scalp clean. I’m 50% Mediterranean too, so my skin is very oily.

Oh, I also read that virgin coconut oil is high in tocotrienols. The nutrition side panel never said that it has any vitamin E in it, but I keep reading about it having tocotrienols. This might be an alternative to TOCO-8, which is a fine product I’m sure, but expensive. You can buy the coconut oil to cook with, or just take pills for pretty cheap. Plus its so good for your body that even if it doesn’t help your hair, should help you in some way.

Hey man,

Just wondering how much D3 you take daily? at the moment i’ve started on 1000iu but is that enough or should i increase the intake?

thanks again man

» Hey man,
»
» Just wondering how much D3 you take daily? at the moment i’ve started on
» 1000iu but is that enough or should i increase the intake?
»
» thanks again man

» Hey man,
»
»
» thanks again man

1000 IU is 250% of your RDA (if I’m correct that 400 IU is 100 percent). D-3 is fat-soluble, so if you have extra, you will end up storing it in reserve as opposed to passing it in urine like you would with water-soluble. Also, in addition to the 250% you are accumulating daily and storing as extra, you also naturally produce it in your skin when UV light stimulate. I’ve heard over and over that about 15 minutes of sunlight a day is enough to make 100% of your RDA.

You should see what The Natural says since this question is addressed to him. I would say don’t increase though, you are already getting plenty if not too much.

» Hey man,
»
»
» thanks again man

» Hey man,
»
»
» thanks again man

I personally take 1000 IU a day. Now, the RDA is (as bucket correctly stated) 400 IU; however, most (physicians included) deem this amount to be too low.

People who live in warmer regions year around, and are exposed to adequate sunlight year around may not need more. But for most of us, this is not the case: “The problem is that most people in this “modern” era do not have the opportunity (economically) or geographically to acquire sufficient vitamin D through sunlight.”

Also when a person exposes himself to outdoor sunlight, this ultra-violet B radiation is converted to vitamin D3 on the surface of the skin. And “it remains on the surface of the skin (according to Dr. Mercola) for 48 hours, before it is able to penetrate into the bloodstream.” In other words, the body is unable to absorb this vitamin D3 for up to two days.

Now, during this time, if you were to say, wash your body with soap (i.e. take a shower or bath), you “will be eliminating (washing away) this vitamin D3 and its benefits from your body.” It is advised that those of you who prefer to get your vitamin D3 from the sun, wash just “your armpits and private areas.”

hey man,

just seen suggestions that taking curcumin and resvetrol with warm milk is the ideal way for absorbtion?

do you do this, or is this just a myth? also is it better to take with food or on an empty stomach?

cheers man

Danny

Also just wondering what your thoughts are towards whether i can/should take the curcumin and resveratrol at the same time as my finasteride?

thankyou you again Natural for all your info, i really respect your posts!!

Danny

» hey man,
»
» just seen suggestions that taking curcumin and resvetrol with warm milk is
» the ideal way for absorbtion?
»
» do you do this, or is this just a myth? also is it better to take with
» food or on an empty stomach?
»
» cheers man
»
» Danny

» hey man,
»
» just seen suggestions that taking curcumin and resvetrol with warm milk is
» the ideal way for absorbtion?
»
» do you do this, or is this just a myth? also is it better to take with
» food or on an empty stomach?
»
» cheers man
»
» Danny

Yes, as I have read, warm milk is best. But I take mine with yogurt :slight_smile: .

» Also just wondering what your thoughts are towards whether i can/should
» take the curcumin and resveratrol at the same time as my finasteride?
»
» thankyou you again Natural for all your info, i really respect your
» posts!!
»
» Danny

Danny, what would happen if you dropped the finasteride? Try it and see :slight_smile: . For a lot of people it is just a “crutch.”

Ideally it’s something i’d really love to do, i hate the idea of being on medication such as finasteride, and i’ve been on it now coming up 7 years and definately feel it’s beginning to wear off.

in the last year i’ve started to notice thinning especially underneath or if i’m stood near certain lighting, but i guess i’m in the same boat as bucket at the moment in that i’m afraid to stop taking it and lose what i may have kept while on the finasteride?

My plan was to perhaps continue using the finasteride along with your regime for say 6 months and if i see an improvement or i’m at least still keeping what i have, i could try and drop it?

Do you think if i drop it i will experience some sort of shed?

thanks again man,

» My plan was to perhaps continue using the finasteride along with your
» regime for say 6 months and if i see an improvement or i’m at least still
» keeping what i have, i could try and drop it?
»
» Do you think if i drop it i will experience some sort of shed?
»
» thanks again man,

Danny, my boy, I don’t know if you will experience a shed. And I can’t tell you what to do. All I can do is tell you what I have read from others and my experience with natural “DHT blockers.”

So-called DHT blocking herbs like pygeum, saw palmetto, beta sitosterol, and the like lose their effectiveness over time. We make the mistake of increasing dosage and/or adding similar functioning herbs. And this has caused side effects like those of Propecia in some users (lower libido, anxiety, brain fog, itchiness, etc).

As I stated in an earlier thread: Years ago, I abandoned my mission to “block DHT,” per se, and instead, sought out herbal supplements which could lower inflammation, reduce cholesterol levels, facilitate the metabolism of insulin, and just recently remove heavy metals. And my own doctor, who tried to get me on Propecia, had to admit my natural regimen was (just as) effective when I saw him a year later for a check-up. He didn’t recommend the drug to me again ;-).

» » My plan was to perhaps continue using the finasteride along with your
» » regime for say 6 months and if i see an improvement or i’m at least
» still
» » keeping what i have, i could try and drop it?
» »
» » Do you think if i drop it i will experience some sort of shed?
» »
» » thanks again man,
»
» Danny, my boy, I don’t know if you will experience a shed. And I can’t
» tell you what to do. All I can do is tell you what I have read from others
» and my experience with natural “DHT blockers.”
»
» So-called DHT blocking herbs like pygeum, saw palmetto, beta sitosterol,
» and the like lose their effectiveness over time. We make the
» mistake of increasing dosage and/or adding similar functioning herbs. And
» this has caused side effects like those of Propecia in some users (lower
» libido, anxiety, brain fog, itchiness, etc).
»
» As I stated in an earlier thread: Years ago, I abandoned my mission to
» “block DHT,” per se, and instead, sought out herbal supplements which could
» lower inflammation, reduce cholesterol levels, facilitate the metabolism of
» insulin, and just recently remove heavy metals. And my own doctor, who
» tried to get me on Propecia, had to admit my natural regimen was (just as)
» effective when I saw him a year later for a check-up. He didn’t recommend
» the drug to me again ;-).

who says they lose their effectiveness over time? natural DHT blockers
mine have maintained over 11 yr period

There will always be exceptions, as indicated by the previous post. But generally speaking, from everything that I’ve read and experienced during the past ten years, DHT blockers, natural or otherwise, are not the best way to treat hair loss long term.

Hey Natural, just wanted to say thankyou for putting me onto your regime, been on it for around a month now and the itchyness from my scalp has pretty much gone!!!

Got about 2 months supply left of my finasteride and then i think i’m gonna come off it and see how it goes.

Just noticed you’ve changed over onto the tumeric and knotweed, have you noticed any differences to you hair in doing so?.. also noticed your only taking d3 once a week, i’ve been taking it daily, just wondering if you think its best to take it weekly?

thanks again man,

all the best for xmas and the new year

» Hey Natural, just wanted to say thankyou for putting me onto your regime,
» been on it for around a month now and the itchyness from my scalp has
» pretty much gone!!!
»
» Got about 2 months supply left of my finasteride and then i think i’m
» gonna come off it and see how it goes.
»
» Just noticed you’ve changed over onto the tumeric and knotweed, have you
» noticed any differences to you hair in doing so?.. also noticed your only
» taking d3 once a week, i’ve been taking it daily, just wondering if you
» think its best to take it weekly?
»
» thanks again man,
»
» all the best for xmas and the new year

Just be prepared to go through a massive shed when coming off finasteride. most people that thought finasteride wasn’t working for them and stopped, later learned of its potential when they stopped. Good luck.

Danny,

Happy Holidays! Hey, I was really happy to read about your progress. I hope your scalp/hair continue to improve! And yes, I have been tweaking my regimen as of late, and do very much like what I am seeing :slight_smile: .

Actually, after doing some reading (somewhere - I can’t remember exactly where at the moment), I started taking whole plant extracts of turmeric (which does contain curcumin) and knotweed (which does contain resveratrol). A lot of people feel that, for example, curcumin is better taken in conjunction with the other parts of the herb, rather than in isolation.

Also Life Extension just came out with a convenient vitamin D, K, and iodine supplement. It contains 5,000 IU of vitamin D3. Since I will store this hormone (as well as vitamin K) in my body for days, (5,000 IU) once (or twice) a week is probably enough for me now.

Here’s to our continued health and success in 2011!

TN

…the sooner that one weens himself off of Propecia, the better.

There are many who have dropped finasteride, adopted a drug-free regimen, and are now as pleased with their hair/scalp as they can be, irrespective of an initial shed.

Mere DHT inhibition, via synthetic or natural means, is not the way to better health or hair.

» …the sooner that one weens himself off of Propecia, the better.

Really? Why? Because of “your” personal experience? I know plenty who have been on on propecia for well over 10 yrs ad I don’t know of a single one that has had any side effects. Does that means the side effects do not exist? Absolutely not, but it is very uncommon.

These drugs are FDA approved, are natural herbal remedies FDA approved?

» There are many who have dropped finasteride, adopted a drug-free regimen,
» and are now as pleased with their hair/scalp as they can be, irrespective
» of an initial shed.
»
» Mere DHT inhibition, via synthetic or natural means, is not the way to
» better health or hair.

Being on hair loss forums since 1999(?) I don’t remember one single member ever saying he’s had success as your claim above.