2613 FUE/BH 0-5 Months Dr. Bisanga, BHR Clinic

2613 FUE 2013 Scalp and 600 Beard

Scalp Hair 1. 649 2. 940 3. 340 4. 84

Beard Hair 1. 173 2. 427

PRP Therapy was used on both recipient and donor

Patient had two previous poor surgeries, Strip and 2mm Plugs. leaving poor regrowth and scarring in the recipient and donor

Work in Progress, Post Op 5 Months

Very nice natural result. Wow 600 beard grafts, the healing is incredible. Does a larger number of beard grafts extracted affect the healing time at all? Or would 600 grafts heal at about the same rate as 200?

Hi TC,

It’s taken some time for Dr. B to get to a stage with body/beard to feel it is in the patient’s wellbeing to do something like 600 grafts in an initial session. The hesitance has not so much been the yield as we have been using BH in scars and so forth with good yield for some time now, more to do with the scarring/healing.

Obviously the beard area is visually very exposed and the last thing you want to do is cause obviously visible scarring to someone, it’s not as if he can grow his beard to cover if you take it all! So, much depends on the skin properties and beard quality to what the doc feels comfortable taking per op. Also the areas in which he can extract the grafts with least amount of skin flexibility that could increase scarring and transection. Like this patient, I’ve had beard extraction, around a 1000 to date, obviously my beard looks thinner in areas but no visible scarring and I believe this is down to a few factors, doc’s skill being high.

We’re not a clinic that will be doing BH in the 10’s thousands though in a session, as long term we feel we can preserve the donor better, limit signs of extraction and potential get more growing hair with smaller sessions. Recently we had a case of a gentleman wanting as much BH as possible in a session, we refused simply on the basis we did not feel it was in his best interests and long term result.

What is PRP therapy?

If more clinics adopted the same philosophy of doing what is best for the patient and not necessarily what the patient wants, nor what is economically advantageous to the clinic, we would probably not have to see all these repair patients year after year, including myself.

Nice result with this patient and keep up the good work.

Hi furious,

Here is a link to our original thread when we announced studies:

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-56685.html#p56685

This will go into detail of what PRP is and what potential it may have.

We have been using now for sometime on selected cases, virgin/repair, different hair types, FUE extraction sites, Strip closure, recipient sites etc. Some areas of use have proven to be positive so far in the feedback from the patients and visually also. Aspects such as healing and possibly also regrowth acceleration, but we are still waiting before it is possible to be conclusive. A problem when your patient bank is all over the world is collating the information effectively.

» 2613 FUE 2013 Scalp and 600 Beard
»
» Scalp Hair 1. 649 2. 940 3. 340 4. 84
»
» Beard Hair 1. 173 2. 427
»
» PRP Therapy was used on both recipient and donor
»
» Patient had two previous poor surgeries, Strip and 2mm Plugs. leaving poor
» regrowth and scarring in the recipient and donor
»
» Work in Progress, Post Op 5 Months

He looks good NOW, his progress is pretty remarkable after ONE session! Kudos to you on such great results. Very impressive.

Very nice
at least you can accurately judge the results by viewing how the hair really looks , good pics

These Pictures are very honest. I wished more clinics would follow this type of approach when posting photos. When something looks too perfect be aware of things.

Hi wylie,

Work in progress for two reasons really. 5 months is a short time and although his growth is very good there is still room for improvement, growth and maturing of the hair. I saw him in person before and at 5 months and the change already is very good, a great transformation from where he came from. Secondly he wants to treat the crown area, resources are running low as he only wants FUE, but hopefully we can look at around 1000 scalp FUE and then more beard hair to improve the crown and a more balanced overall coverage.

» Hi TC,
»
» It’s taken some time for Dr. B to get to a stage with body/beard to feel
» it is in the patient’s wellbeing to do something like 600 grafts in an
» initial session. The hesitance has not so much been the yield as we have
» been using BH in scars and so forth with good yield for some time now, more
» to do with the scarring/healing.

So you are saying Dr. B has no problem with body hair yield? Can Dr. B get a yield of over 80% consistently with body hair?

Hi NeverAgain,

No I am not saying Dr. B has no problem with yield per se, BH can be unpredictable and we feel it is important to take each case as it comes and judge on merit, not just carte blanche hair is hair as we have found that some people make better candidates than others. So, yes we have found our yield per case has improved, largely down to protocols in place to try an ensure as much as possible we achieve a good yield.

Beard hair seems to give a more consistant yield the way we harvest and place, likewise chest if the characteristcs are good have also shown can produce a good yield. We are not saying or in anyway implying that BH will yield the same on a consistant basis like scalp, we do not believe that, hence we are selective on those we use BH on with regard to how much we use, where we use it. We have seen BH over the last year or so now show around 80% on a consistant basis, and some of those cases have even been into scar tissue. I myself for example have had 3 beard/body hair ops into the top/crown area and very pleased with the yied, from both chest and especialy the beard hair.

We believe for the right candidate and under the correct protocols high yields are feasible and realistic, but again we are not suggesting anywhere near all people are suitable to expect this. Again, like I said earlier in the thread, we have a conservative approach to BH in general, you won’t find large number cases from us. We prefer to take it slower, we feel we have found a formula under which we can achieve good growth for the right candidate.

Stephenl if you read your post again you clearly said that the reason Dr. B not doing body hair more often is because of scarring/healing problems and not so much a problem with yield , which I find very strange.

“The hesitance has not so much been the yield as we have been using BH in scars and so forth with good yield for some time now, more to do with the scarring/healing.”

» Stephenl if you read your post again you clearly said that the reason Dr. B
» not doing body hair more often is because of scarring/healing problems and
» not so much a problem with yield , which I find very strange.
»
» “The hesitance has not so much been the yield as we have been using BH in
» scars and so forth with good yield for some time now, more to do with the
» scarring/healing.”

Hi NeverAgain,

Yes, I am well aware what I said, and I have, I think qualified myself in the reply to you when saying that we do achieve high yield “BUT” not everyone is a suitable candidate to achieve a high yield or a suitable candidate for BH.

Ipso facto the candidates we have been treating have achieved a good yield, are we saying this is across the board for everyone who has a beard or chest hair, no, we are not, so for us, the yield is becoming less of an issue with the patients we have worked on and areas such as visible scarring and donor management are issues, getting the most from the resources available. Point in case being, me as an example and I am sure most if not all, would I trade good yield from my beard hair at the expense of noticable scarring on my face, for me the answer is no.

I can attest to the fact that in my case both body and beard hair with BHR gave me very good yield with no visible scarring to the face or chest.

I look forward to having several more sessions.

» » Stephenl if you read your post again you clearly said that the reason Dr.
» B
» » not doing body hair more often is because of scarring/healing problems
» and
» » not so much a problem with yield , which I find very strange.
» »
» » “The hesitance has not so much been the yield as we have been using BH
» in
» » scars and so forth with good yield for some time now, more to do with
» the
» » scarring/healing.”
»
» Hi NeverAgain,
»
» Yes, I am well aware what I said, and I have, I think qualified myself in
» the reply to you when saying that we do achieve high yield “BUT” not
» everyone is a suitable candidate to achieve a high yield or a suitable
» candidate for BH.
»
» Ipso facto the candidates we have been treating have achieved a good
» yield, are we saying this is across the board for everyone who has a beard
» or chest hair, no, we are not, so for us, the yield is becoming less of an
» issue with the patients we have worked on and areas such as visible
» scarring and donor management are issues, getting the most from the
» resources available. Point in case being, me as an example and I am sure
» most if not all, would I trade good yield from my beard hair at the expense
» of noticable scarring on my face, for me the answer is no.

I have seen photos from Arvind and Umar who also do facial hair transplants, scarring was never an issue, they heal far better than head donor.

Hi Ipod,

That is great to hear you have also seen good healing from other docs in the beard. But I was not as such comparing the healing to beard vs scalp extraction, we don’t have a problem there really with obvious/visible scarring either.

The point was more to do with the care and attention, we deal with many different genres and all heal differently regardless of the protocol we employ, beard being so much more “facing” we feel caution is better than running in.

10 Month update on this case. Patient will be back early 2011 for work to the crown area.