Arjun - 5000+ FUSE grafts(scalp + beard + body) 5 mth update

Dear forum readers,
The patient nicknamed Arjun (based on a prince from Indian mythology, who won against overwhelming odds), is a true Norwood 7.
His before pictures were first presented at
http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-33182.html

Advances in hair restoration surgeries provide hope of an aesthetically pleasing results even to patients who would be considered unsuitable before.

Regards,
Dr. A

Note - Extreme care needs to be exercised in patient and treatment compatibility. Patient awareness, thorough planning, the correct HT philosophy are some of the things to keep in mind.

Arjun, in his early 30s, has extensive hairloss and limited scalp donor.

The approach followed in his 1st session

1. The grafts were placed at a low density.
  2. A mix of scalp, beard and body donor hair was used.

Keeping the transplanted hair cut to a short length enables Arjun to benefit from the less is more approach.

Thinning out the scalp donor, (in the denser part), reduces the contrast and gives a uniform appearance.

In 1st session, the front and top areas were transplanted. The hairline at a higher density and gradually reducing the density while going back. The density ranges from 30 to 10 grafts per sq cm.

At 5 months, we expect 45 to 50% growth.

excelent and a great example of “next generation” HT.

A little more of photographic detail would be helpful.

When looking at his pre op picture,the hair at the sides appear as though they have been over harvested with fue and left a very sparse look.
Is this the case Dr A.
Also if you could post pictures at the same angles as pre op and the all important top down shot.
Do you keep an accurate record of grafts and hair count ie 5000+ is really 5500 grafts and 10,000 hairs plus a breakdown of how many beard ,scalp, leg hair etc as it will be interesting to see what the survival rate is and the final look.
Thanks.

» When looking at his pre op picture,the hair at the sides appear as though
» they have been over harvested with fue and left a very sparse look.
» Is this the case Dr A.

Dear bigmac,
Arjun has not had any previous hair transplants.
This sort of thinning is not uncommon in people that advance to such levels of hairloss.

Regards,
Dr. A

Crown area before any HT

Crown area shots 5 months after 1st HT

Note - Thinning the extra dense scalp donor area, (the upper half), plays a beneficial role by reducing the contrast.The above pictures illustrate the benefits of that approach. Its one of the aspects of the “less is more” approach that Arjun’s HT has incorporated.

Regards,
Dr. A

First Day

Last day of 1st HT

A few days later

In Arjun’s 1st HT, a total of 5217 grafts,
(1402 scalp, 1801 beard, 1083 chest, 646 abdomen, 230 pubic and 55 thigh grafts),
were transplanted.

Arjun is happy with the progress till now and has proceeded with the 2nd stage - 1834 grafts in the crown swirl area.
These include 372 scalp, 726 beard, 404 chest, 325 armpit and 07 abdomen grafts.

Thus, 7051 grafts have been transplanted at a low density over the entire norwood areas. This forms the basic matrix/scaffolding to be thickened if the patient so desire at a future date.

Recipient area during the 2nd HT

Pictures taken from front view after completion of the 2nd HT (no grafts were transplanted in the scalp that recieved grafts 5 months ago)

Regards,
Dr. A

» Arjun is happy with the progress till now and has proceeded with the 2nd
» stage - 1834 grafts in the crown swirl area.
» These include 372 scalp, 726 beard, 404 chest, 325 armpit and 07 abdomen
» grafts.
»
» Thus, 7051 grafts have been transplanted at a low density over the entire
» norwood areas. This forms the basic matrix/scaffolding to be thickened if
» the patient so desire at a future date.

Dear Dr. A,

Is there any reason that all 7051 grafts could not have been placed in one procedure?

I am impressed with the design.

»
» Dear Dr. A,
»
» Is there any reason that all 7051 grafts could not have been placed in one
» procedure?

Dear Marco,
Patient’s personal preference and his time constraints were 2 factors that lead to the 7000 + grafts being placed in 2 sessions instead of 1.

Fuller, more complete hair transplants, involving a variety of approaches as well as donor hair types, is the future. Many patients, do go for larger number of grafts in a single session.

Regards,
Dr. A

That is a seemless transition from his own hair to the transplant hairs, totally undetectable, very impressive improvement for a norwood 7. Bravo

I’m usually a pessimist, but that result is very natural looking! Kudos… you get Xairhay’s 5 star rating on this one!

» excelent and a great example of “next generation” HT.
»
» A little more of photographic detail would be helpful.

It is very good although I think “next generation” HT will very likely come from products such as Acell cell regeneration matrix.

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-34017-page-0-category-2-order-last_answer-descasc-DESC.html

It’s perhaps just me. But I see very little difference. Whats the difference between being bald, and having few hairs that give just a bit of shadow?

I respect the doc due to the fact that nw7 so far were pretty much untreatable. But its just that I personally do not see any point in having few hair vs no hair. especially when its so short.

This guy has very good head shape and dark skin colour. He could have shaved it to the bone and he would not be considered being bald or balding at all.

Perhaps I’m too young yet to appretiate this semi vellous looking hair. No really. If you have some rogaine vellous hair and die it. I’d say you’d get similar result, perhaps even better coverage.

Anyway it is an improvement. Even though in my eyes, its very subtle.

» It’s perhaps just me. But I see very little difference. Whats the
» difference between being bald, and having few hairs that give just a bit of
» shadow?
»
» I respect the doc due to the fact that nw7 so far were pretty much
» untreatable. But its just that I personally do not see any point in having
» few hair vs no hair. especially when its so short.
»
» This guy has very good head shape and dark skin colour. He could have
» shaved it to the bone and he would not be considered being bald or balding
» at all.
»
» Perhaps I’m too young yet to appretiate this semi vellous looking hair. No
» really. If you have some rogaine vellous hair and die it. I’d say you’d get
» similar result, perhaps even better coverage.
»
» Anyway it is an improvement. Even though in my eyes, its very subtle.

I’d like to be around when you finally find something you like debris.
It will be a monumental occasion… perhaps even epic.

These particular results are spectacular for this particular patient