X Prize.......Again

This has been talked about on several occasions in this forum and shot down every time. I personally think that it is a great idea although it would not be easy to get started. I (and others) have talked about developing an X Prize to find a cure for hairloss. Last time that this was discussed, people shot it down stating that ICX was too far along already and that no other researcher could catch them. (This was at least a couple years ago). Now, here we are (a couple years later), wondering if ICX is even going to continue to pursue HM. Furthermore, the other forum members stated that the financial prize for developing a “cure” for hairloss would be so great that the X prize would not be a motivator for researchers. Here is a link to a current article in the news about developing an X prize for a fuel efficient car. (I would think that the person who develops a fuel efficient vehicle would reap great financial rewards also, but the X prize foundation feel that 10 million is enough of a motivator to researchers to develop it).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080320/ap_on_bi_ge/auto_show_x_prize

The nice thing about this concept is that researchers could be forced to provide information to the foundation. They cannot perform their research and leave us “hanging on” for years waiting for the results. Researchers participating in the X Prize race would have to show measurable results (and pictures) to the foundation. Performance guidelines could be set up that would determine the winner. I’m not sure what these would be…they could be determined by a panel.

This is just a thought, but I still think that it a good idea. At least we could have some control over the process of developing a “cure” for hairloss. I’m not sure how to get something like this started…ANY IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Thanks,
Bill

IMHO is much better try to be injected by ICX. Whe know that the procedure cannot restore a NW6, but people like me, with some thining, could beneficiate from ICX treatment. Be unable to restore a NW6 is not a failure, like propecia or minox are not failures, are treatments for a disease.

So my opinion is to create a group of people that wants to be injected by ICX.

100 people at $10.000 = $1.000.000 incomes for the company in a few months.

But ICX is not helping so much in that area because they are not disclosing information about the product. We already know that they cannot grow hair in totaly bald areas and that the product is not a miracle, so what are they trying to hide?

» IMHO is much better try to be injected by ICX. Whe know that the procedure
» cannot restore a NW6, but people like me, with some thining, could
» beneficiate from ICX treatment. Be unable to restore a NW6 is not a
» failure, like propecia or minox are not failures, are treatments for a
» disease.
»
» So my opinion is to create a group of people that wants to be injected by
» ICX.
»
» 100 people at $10.000 = $1.000.000 incomes for the company in a few
» months.
»
» But ICX is not helping so much in that area because they are not
» disclosing information about the product. We already know that they cannot
» grow hair in totaly bald areas and that the product is not a miracle, so
» what are they trying to hide?

That would be fine in ICX had some proof of the validity of their product. I’m not saying that HM won’t work, I’m just saying that they should show us something at some point to prove it. In the mean time, I think that it would be great if we could have some positive impact towards finding a valid cure/treatment. We would have to develop stipulations that the contestents must meet in order to “win” the prize. Maybe it would be ICX, Follica, Acell or it maybe some group that stumbles on a cure/treatment accidentally and brings it to market first. Unless I’m mistaken, Follica stumbled across their developments for a treatment for hair loss while working on another project.

By the way, I don’t think that being injected by ICX is even an option at this point. As far as I know they haven’t said that they are willing to inject patients (who are willing to gamble) with thier current treatment. I’m sure if they did, many people would go for it. (Although I would want to see something that showed the test results first).

Unfortunately, I’m not surprised by the lack of response to this post. I’m not saying that it’s definately a good idea (I personally think that it is), but it’s at least worth considering. But, as usual, the members of this forum would rather carry on petty arguements with Hangininthere (and give that loser the attention that he seeks) or argue that we should: work out, get a tan, dress nice, ect… That we shouldn’t care about our hair and go on with our lives (from people who visit a hairloss forum…I hate to break it to you, but if you didn’t care about your hairloss and were going on with you life, YOU WOULDN’T BE HERE!). Or, we can read helpme’s posts (who if he hasn’t been diagnosed as bipolar yet, he will be) about how petty we are to care about our hairloss and then how depressed he is about hairloss…MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!

What sucks is the fact that there are so many intelligent people with a common problem who would rather whine and cry about it and bicker over petty issues like small children than to try to have some positive impact on finding a solution.

-Bill

» Unfortunately, I’m not surprised by the lack of response to this post. I’m
» not saying that it’s definately a good idea (I personally think that it
» is), but it’s at least worth considering. But, as usual, the members of
» this forum would rather carry on petty arguements with Hangininthere (and
» give that loser the attention that he seeks) or argue that we should: work
» out, get a tan, dress nice, ect… That we shouldn’t care about our hair
» and go on with our lives (from people who visit a hairloss forum…I
» hate to break it to you, but if you didn’t care about your hairloss and
» were going on with you life, YOU WOULDN’T BE HERE!). Or, we can read
» helpme’s posts (who if he hasn’t been diagnosed as bipolar yet, he will
» be) about how petty we are to care about our hairloss and then how
» depressed he is about hairloss…MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!
»
» What sucks is the fact that there are so many intelligent people with a
» common problem who would rather whine and cry about it and
» bicker over petty issues like small children than to try to have
» some positive impact on finding a solution.
»
» -Bill

perhaps instead of insulting the board members intelligence, as you claim i do, just perhaps this idea is not as bright as you think it is

there is already a billion plus dollar prize waiting for any company that finds a cure for baldness, you do not have to offer a…PRIZE :smiley: