Why unhappy patients do not post

I have spoken to so many patients that have had ht procedures but the results were not very good. These are recent patients and not patients that had work done in the 80’s and 90’s. Yet these same patients will not post about their experience. I am often left to wonder why they come to the forums to seek information, but do not give back. In my opinion it is extremely selfish.
Some of the reasons that I do know of are:

They are afraid they might get sued.

They are ashamed and embarrassed.

They are afraid their identify will be revealed.

They are worried they might get black balled by both the doctor and the rest of the ht industry.

They might have their post deleted and be banned from posting.

Please feel free to add to the list. I think it’s a very important point and should be brought to light.

Duplicate

duplicate

I know also of patients who are very unhappy and at one point of time they were success cases. People still believe that their case was a success because they dont know the whole story.

I also know of patients who are not happy but they cannot complain or nake a big deal of it because they simply understand that its not the doctors fault but the nature of the procedure. they were all mislead to believe that transplants can do more than what they can actually do

We have the shills and the clinics to thank for the mizery of these people. The overselling of the procedures and the misleading representation of the results.

Except all the things that you mentioned

I think they dont post because they know that certain individuals will attempt to discredit them or make them appear as the exception which will make them feel even more bad. They have lost their faith to these forums and just dont care to share because sharing will bring more problems to them…telephones from the clinic which they dont want to deal with, shills atttacking their credibility and pointing out that they are the minority and should have more realistic expectations.

Others accept free surgeries and after that they cannot post even if they are unhappy with the repair procedure because they got it for free.

In the end you simply cannot prove that you were mislead because in all honesty it was your decision to go ahead and that doesnt change and you signed all the forms that free the doctor from his responsibilities. You are just into his good grace to offer you free repair so that you keep your mouth shut and accept the charity in exchange to your silence.

Its no secret that people are adviced or even driven by moderators and consultants “to talk to your doctor first before you come and post here” it actually became the norm and even casual posters learn to repeat the poem as if it is the right thing to do. Keep everyone in the dark about your real result and find a way to repair it without making waves

in the end it simply might be this…they are ashamed to admit that they made a bad choise, they dont want to show their pictures and others to feel sorry for them. they just want to get away from this theatre and forget

A lot of them, simply believe that the sub par results they have got is what hair transplant results are like.
This is a very common reason. More common than most readers would believe.
There are a handful of doctors who know the correct way of performing HT around the world.
There are thousands of doctors wanting to enter the field but not having access to proper training facilities and diplomas. So they do what they think is hair transplant.

The problem is between these 2 group of doctors.

» A lot of them, simply believe that the sub par results they have got is
» what hair transplant results are like.
» This is a very common reason. More common than most readers would
» believe.
» There are a handful of doctors who know the correct way of performing HT
» around the world.
» There are thousands of doctors wanting to enter the field but not having
» access to proper training facilities and diplomas. So they do what they
» think is hair transplant.
»
» The problem is between these 2 group of doctors.

It’s interesting you bring that up:

» A lot of them, simply believe that the sub par results they have got is
» what hair transplant results are like.
» This is a very common reason. More common than most readers would
» believe.
» There are a handful of doctors who know the correct way of performing HT
» around the world.
» There are thousands of doctors wanting to enter the field but not having
» access to proper training facilities and diplomas. So they do what they
» think is hair transplant.
»
» The problem is between these 2 group of doctors.

we are not talking about quacks we are talking about unhappy patients from the doctors in these forums. even doctors that are supposed to be the cream of the crop.

Subpar is actually a synonym to the state of the art hair transplantation that is performed even nowdays. The donor is so finite that the results suffer and do not look natural in most cases. Sure if you have many native hair the results are great because the donor issue is not a problem then but when hairloss progresses the transplants show their shortcomings

And thats the best case scenario we are not talking about scar streches, luck of growth etc then its just a nightmare

Thank you truthtales, you know exactly what I’m talking about. I am not talking about quacks, but some of the many clinics and doctors that post here. I know because I speak to their patients yet they will not post which is too bad.

» I have spoken to so many patients that have had ht procedures but the
» results were not very good. These are recent patients and not patients that
» had work done in the 80’s and 90’s. Yet these same patients will not post
» about their experience. I am often left to wonder why they come to the
» forums to seek information, but do not give back. In my opinion it is
» extremely selfish.
» Some of the reasons that I do know of are:
»
» They are afraid they might get sued.
»
» They are ashamed and embarrassed.
»
» They are afraid their identify will be revealed.
»
» They are worried they might get black balled by both the doctor and the
» rest of the ht industry.
»
» They might have their post deleted and be banned from posting.

»
» Please feel free to add to the list. I think it’s a very important point
» and should be brought to light.

I have another question: why do doctors never disclose the name of other doctors who did bad work?

I have another question: why do doctors never disclose the name of other
doctors who did bad work?

» I have another question: why do doctors never disclose the name of other
» doctors who did bad work?

Usually, a physician first learns codes of professional conduct in medical school. At the end of medical training the physician swears to uphold the tenets of the Oath of Hippocrates, the most venerable code of medical conduct for the individual physician:

The following examples are included in the tenets of the Oath of Hippocrates:

Denigration that aims to destroy another physician’s practice is morally reprehensible.
[…]
Conversely, untruthful information and inflammatory statements do not build public trust and may be in breach of the Hippocratic Oath injunction to “do no harm”.

Today, in awareness of this (or not any longer), most physicians “let do this job” (denigration of other physicians) by their shills. On the other hand, some physicians, especially in the HT (business) field, prefer to do “this job” themselves, as for instance:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2009/08/11/gho-clinic-says-their-fue-allows-the-donor-hair-to-regrow/

http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/02/02/woods-technique-and-fue/

But you can (and you will) find lots of similar cases in most “special” hair loss boards too.

@YM : Should pay close attention to the comments below those Rassman Statements cause those comments sums up everything.

» I have another question: why do doctors never disclose the name of other
» doctors who did bad work?

Excellent question, I notice that all the time too from this and other boards, it doesn’t matter how bad the work is, doctors never rat out their colleagues in the business, how is that acting in the best interest of the patients?!

» » I have another question: why do doctors never disclose the name of other
» » doctors who did bad work?
»
» Excellent question, I notice that all the time too from this and other
» boards, it doesn’t matter how bad the work is, doctors never rat out their
» colleagues in the business, how is that acting in the best interest of the
» patients?!

“rat out” ?

Interesting formulation - I just googled it and found the following answer:

"You’re right. Rat someone out means to betray a colleague. It is most commonly used among criminals. Another common term is “stool pigeon”.

Source: Rat Someone Out?

Wow, that means I posted previously some links (examples) to criminals !! :surprised:

With the internet and getting in contact with patients. We don’t need docs to tell us who is doing bad work. Bad work speaks for itself!

» With the internet and getting in contact with patients. We don’t need docs
» to tell us who is doing bad work. Bad work speaks for itself!

BS!

I was just banned from posting on another site. One of the reasons many posters just move on and do not post. I was told that my promotion of fue over fuht in my postings was poor advice and that I was very dangerous.

It was suggested that I just get on with my life. I guess I have been around too long and know too much. It’s always easier to ban the poster then debate the point.

» I was just banned from posting on another site. One of the reasons many
» posters just move on and do not post. I was told that my promotion of fue
» over fuht in my postings was poor advice and that I was very
» dangerous.
»
» It was suggested that I just get on with my life. I guess I have been
» around too long and know too much. It’s always easier to ban the poster
» then debate the point.

Get out, that’s the worst excuse ever to ban someone, simply because you are pro fue?

This is the reason this field has such a bad rep. For a site to ban someone who knows something that the regulators of the site do not want you to know is preposterous. Lets just say this: If someone states the truth in this field it is a rarity. Always remember there are those of us who are not sales reps and just plain patients. Topcat & I have been around this field a long, long time. I would venture to say longer than some of the doctors in this field. There are a small handful of decent doctors who will actually help some people and there are a larger number of doctors who will pocket money and make promises that they can never keep & hurt people. Remember this from the dateline report long ago " If something sounds too good to be true it probably is just that". Remember if someone has to advertise then that should tell you a lot. Good doctors get referrals on their work & do not need the high sales/ad stuff. Would you go to a neurosurgeon who has to advertise? Well then…

Diamond I agree there are clinics out there that are very good. The doctors are skillful and the clinics really do care about what happens to their patients. I would also agree that word of mouth is one of the best ways to find these clinics. We could probably both agree that the biggest problem confronting this industry from a patient’s point of view is the fact there are very few people like you and I out there. Patients who have been around for such a long time. We are familiar with this industry and how it operates. We have had the perseverance to keep posting year after year without burning out and moving on. What makes the ht business so different is that word of mouth doesn’t have as much as an effect as it would in other businesses. The vast majority of patients do not want to speak about having cosmetic surgery, most will not even post. Even when I suggest to someone that has contacted me by way of e-mail to give me a phone call, I can detect some hesitation. I think maybe they feel that they might be giving up some anonymity. So what we are left with are too many clinics, where the main focus is marketing and not on skill and patient care. It then becomes who can have the loudest voice and spend the most.

Anyone can string a few letters together and call themselves an authority on the best clinics. But what exactly makes that person or persons an expert. And when a doctor is dropped from this coalition what happens to the disfigured patients of the dropped doctor. Who makes them whole again?

Yes, the forum owner that banned me suggested I move on with my life. I am sure he would like nothing better. I am not ashamed of anything I have had to say, or anything I have written since I know it to be the truth. I feel a moral obligation to keep doing what I am doing.

I’m sure it’s easy to lose your way and maybe not do the right thing once the money starts rolling in from sponsorships. It’s part of what makes us human. Sometimes we can be weak, but it’s never too late to change. So my suggestion to the forum owner would be to do the right thing.