Why I prefer temporary Tricopigmentation(SMP) based on real patients I have seen

A lot of time I come across people who are ideal candidates for tricopigmentation/SMP, but the moment they hear that it is temporary their response is we will go for permanent.

Unfortunately, just like HT in old times (I will go for plugs…its cheaper…more hair per graft), there will be a lot of unfortunate patients with permanent pigments on their scalp.

A lot of awareness and patient education is required to help them understand.

The other option is to go for a small session rather then a full one before making the final decision.

Regards,
Dr. A

Dear forum readers,
We apologize for the late reply. We have been very busy at Beauty Medial lately since a lot of doctors and surgeons from all over the world have attended our Tricopigmentation training course in Milan but from now on we will do our best to answer your questions more regularly.

First of all I would like to reassure you about the safety and the quality of our pigments. They do not contain forbidden substances listed in Directive 76/768/EEC, AnnexII, Annex IV, volumes 2 to 4 and they do not contain substances which are considered to be toxic, reprotoxic, cancerogenic or mutagenic.
As I told you, the pigment is composed of a powder part (iron oxide, titanium bioxide) and a liquid part (water, alcohol, isopropyl and soy glycerine). All these particles are characterized by different colors and shapes. The aim is to allow our immune system to absorb them and this is why they need to be micronized, filtered and encapsuled, resulting in small particles (15 micron). It is essential to know that the macrophages’ dimention is 20 micron. This way the particles can be absorbed by our immune system.

By reading your comments I noticed that you are rightly interested in the reason why a patient shouldn’t opt for permanent tricopigmentation. Permanent pigments are composed of particles with a dimention of 25 micron (which can’t therefore be absorbed by our immune system).
Furthermore, the tools which are usually used for permanent SMP are different from the ones used by Beauty Medical (which operate at just 0.5 mm depth).
Special tools, a specific machine charachterized by a tested handpiece, a peculiar protocol differenciate our technique from all the others.

But let us focus on your main question: why is it better to go for a temporary solution?

First of all our facial features change as time passes and for example the hair line that a 18-year-old boy may like is not necessarily suitable for a 40-year-old man. Temporary Tricopigmentation allows patients to correct and modify all the details according to their variable taste. If you perform a permanent SMP, how can you modify the result after several years?

Secondly, we are convinced that it is impossible for the pigment to remain completely stable and unchanged over the years. We have run many tests and they all showed the same result: pigments change.
If we wanted to use a metaphor to describe pigments, we could compare them to contents and our skin to a container. It is true that the contents (the pigments) are created to remain unchanged, but the container (our skin) is subject to a progressive deterioration. This may result in a change in the optical effect of the treatment.

Moreover, the scalp skin is completely different from the skin on the rest of our body because of the massive presence of sebaceous glands which can modify the pigment.

Because of these reasons and due to the fact that we want to protect our patients, we think that temporary Tricopigmentation is the best solution.

I hope I was able to give an answer to all your doubts and questions. Feel free to ask for more information.
Best Regards.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by Milena Lardì[/postedby]

First of all I would like to reassure you about the safety and the quality of our pigments. They do not contain forbidden substances listed in Directive 76/768/EEC, AnnexII, Annex IV, volumes 2 to 4 and they do not contain substances which are considered to be toxic, reprotoxic, cancerogenic or mutagenic.
As I told you, the pigment is composed of a powder part (iron oxide, titanium bioxide) and a liquid part (water, alcohol, isopropyl and soy glycerine). All these particles are characterized by different colors and shapes. The aim is to allow our immune system to absorb them and this is why they need to be micronized, filtered and encapsuled, resulting in small particles (15 micron). It is essential to know that the macrophages’ dimention is 20 micron. This way the particles can be absorbed by our immune system…[/quote]

I am not a scientist so it is hard for me to understand all this. Let’s say if for whatever reason the pigments do not get absorbed by our immune system, will they stay in our body forever or will they dissolve on their own over time?

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by Milena Lardì[/postedby]

As I told you, the pigment is composed of a powder part (iron oxide, titanium bioxide) and a liquid part (water, alcohol, isopropyl and soy glycerine). All these particles are characterized by different colors and shapes. The aim is to allow our immune system to absorb them and this is why they need to be micronized, filtered and encapsuled, resulting in small particles (15 micron). It is essential to know that the macrophages’ dimention is 20 micron. This way the particles can be absorbed by our immune system…

[postedby]Originally Posted by chris[/postedby]

I am not a scientist so it is hard for me to understand all this. Let’s say if for whatever reason the pigments do not get absorbed by our immune system, will they stay in our body forever or will they dissolve on their own over time?[/quote]

I was a science student. Do not mix the words absorb and dissolve.

Dear Chris,
It is not possible that your immune system doesn’t absorb the pigment because otherwise it would mean that it doesn’t work properly.
All the patients we’ve treated can confirm that the pigment fades as time passes and this is due to the fact that it is absorbed by their immune system. Of course in some patients it may fade sooner than in others but we are sure it does. That’s what macrophages are for.
Feel free to write if you need further information or if you have other doubts.