Why have person to person transplants never been explored?

Way back in 1999 Colin Jahoda did this landmark experiment:

“Smal punch biopsies were taken from his scalp skin and from the hair follicle end bulbs dermal sheath and dermal papillae were isolated. Up to 11 pieces of dermal sheath were combined and implanted into small, shallow wounds on the inner forearm of his wife.”

From what I remember scalp hair actually grew from his wife’s forearm and the conclusion was that these follicular cells which were transplanted were special. They have some kind of immunity privilege where they are not rejected by the recipient’s immune system.

Why hasn’t this been explored? Seems like it may have been promising but perhaps I am naive.

follicle cells are autoimmune(antibodies will not attack them) but surrounding tissue isn’t :frowning:

» follicle cells are autoimmune(antibodies will not attack them) but
» surrounding tissue isn’t :frowning:

Exactly! there is no way to remove the remaining tissue, fat skin etc…

It sounds too complicated, too scary, tissue rejection, blood transfusion and HIV passing from one patient to another, very high risk in my opinion. I’d rather go bald.

Umm… who would want to give away their hair??? Could you imagine the cost? Most likely it has never been explored because it’s not really a viable soulition in terms of cost.

» Umm… who would want to give away their hair??? Could you imagine the
» cost? Most likely it has never been explored because it’s not really a
» viable soulition in terms of cost.
cadavers?
robin williams?

» » Umm… who would want to give away their hair??? Could you
» imagine the
» » cost? Most likely it has never been explored because it’s not really a
» » viable soulition in terms of cost.
» cadavers?
» robin williams?

My Cat has a lot of extra hair, and I asked her and she said she would gladly donate it

» » » Umm… who would want to give away their hair??? Could you
» » imagine the
» » » cost? Most likely it has never been explored because it’s not really
» a
» » » viable soulition in terms of cost.
» » cadavers?
» » robin williams?
»
» My Cat has a lot of extra hair, and I asked her and she said she would
» gladly donate it

damn! I don’t have a cat. Nor a cadaver, nor a robin williams. I am screwed. :frowning: