When animal models fail.....................like with the aids vaccine

“Anthony Fauci, the director of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), near Washington, told The Independent that the animal model – which uses genetically engineered simian and human immunodeficiency viruses in a combination, known as SHIV – failed to predict what will happen when a prototype vaccine is moved from laboratory monkeys to people. “We’ve learnt a few important things [from the clinical trial]. We’ve learnt that one of the animal models, the SHIV model, really doesn’t predict very well at all,” he said.”

Most of the scientists interviewed in the article think we wont have a vaccine for AIDS in the next 10-20 years, and some thing we may NEVER have a vaccine for AIDS.

What does this have to do with hair? This is why we can only really get excited about a treatment when its tried on human skin on a SCID mouse AT THE LEAST…and much more excited when its actually tried on a human being and been shown to have at least -some- efficacy. Thats why I want Follica to go on ahead and test a few guys like NOW, and not a year down the line. Thats why I wish Aderans would hold a trial NOW, and not years from now. What they think “they have” with animal models might not translate and thus have been a waste of time. Once clincal safety is shown…its time to put down the rodents and monkeys. Years keep going by. Test patches in people would be better than the road being currently travelled in many things.

True enough… I read about this somewhere else although I can’t recall if it was TIME or Popular Science. I know everyone will agree with you that we need to see the Follica process tested on honest to goodness human beings. Only those results can put our minds to rest.

» “Anthony Fauci, the director of the US National Institute of Allergy and
» Infectious Diseases (NIAID), near Washington, told The Independent that
» the animal model – which uses genetically engineered simian and human
» immunodeficiency viruses in a combination, known as SHIV – failed to
» predict what will happen when a prototype vaccine is moved from laboratory
» monkeys to people. “We’ve learnt a few important things [from the clinical
» trial]. We’ve learnt that one of the animal models, the SHIV model, really
» doesn’t predict very well at all
,” he said.”
»
» Is it time to give up the search for an Aids vaccine? | The Independent | The Independent
»
»
»
» Most of the scientists interviewed in the article think we wont have a
» vaccine for AIDS in the next 10-20 years, and some thing we may NEVER have
» a vaccine for AIDS.
»
»
»
» What does this have to do with hair? This is why we can only really get
» excited about a treatment when its tried on human skin on a SCID mouse AT
» THE LEAST…and much more excited when its actually tried
» on a human being and been shown to have at least -some- efficacy. Thats why
» I want Follica to go on ahead and test a few guys like NOW, and not a year
» down the line. Thats why I wish Aderans would hold a trial NOW, and not
» years from now. What they think “they have” with animal models might not
» translate and thus have been a waste of time. Once clincal safety is
» shown…its time to put down the rodents and monkeys. Years keep
» going by. Test patches in people would be better than the road being
» currently travelled in many things.

Exactly- this is why I suggest that we do these test patches ourselves. Hell, if what you say- everything in the patent is already FDA approved, why not a bunch of us go through the motions and try different protocols mentioned in the patent instead of all this GD waiting?

» I want Follica to go on ahead and test a few guys like NOW, and not a year
» down the line.

They probably are too busy writing patents to secure the tech. Once done, I’m sure they’ll start human experiments asap - my guess trials startaround fall 08 and we get results around spring 09.

»
»
» Exactly- this is why I suggest that we do these test patches ourselves.
» Hell, if what you say- everything in the patent is already FDA approved,
» why not a bunch of us go through the motions and try different protocols
» mentioned in the patent instead of all this GD waiting?

I agree MPB, we may learn something in the process. It doesnt seem dangerous. Who wants to wait only to find out about another failure. We should do this now.

» True enough… I read about this somewhere else although I can’t recall if
» it was TIME or Popular Science. I know everyone will agree with you that we
» need to see the Follica process tested on honest to goodness human beings.
» Only those results can put our minds to rest.
»
»
»
»

rev attempts another intelligent comment, trouble is, nobody cares what he says

If Follica is realistically not gonna do the human trials for another 8-12 months, then I’m also in the “let’s try something now” camp.

We probably don’t have to nail the procedure to perfection just to find out that it has some moderate capability to work.