What questions to ask during a consultation?

Yes your donor reserves are a bank

And every time you go to a hairtransplant surgeon, he is your Wall Street funds manager…sleep tight

The issue here is " Mathematical verification"

It is ironic I introduced the concept that a patient should be able to watch and verify that the number is correct and the follicles are intact…way back in the 1990s.

And that was heresy

But how many grafts per square centimeter being “verifiable mathematically” suggests that hair transplantation is an exact science…which it is not

This kind of language implies the result is verifiable mathematically

The Nobel Prize committee must be informed at once for this is indeed a world first in any discipline of surgery.

Once they realise this came from the HT Industry, they will chuckle so hard they will spill their cognac

And the other poster is correct…transection rates are the great unknown deception…like when you check your balance and your money has disappeared

Dr Ray Woods

» Well said Dr Arvind…something that was never discussed with me, and I’m
» paying the price…in every way.:frowning:

Dear JJ09 and all readers,
The importance of mathematical calculation can not be overstressed.

One big tactic that many hairmills and unscrupulous doctors follow is called “underselling”. They will make you believe you need less number of grafts. Why?! For many reasons. Maybe, they can not handle logistics at that level, maybe they are lazy. But the most common reason is they do not want you to make an informed decision.
They think that if you come to know that you need, say, 10,000 grafts, for what you have in mind; you will decide not to go for a hair transplant at all.

Some others will make you see the trees and forget the forest.

Dont lose the overall picture.
Before you decide where to go for a hair transplant, you have to decide whether you even want to go for it.

Simple illustrative example

If you have 150 sq cms of bald/balding scalp (thats what a NW 5 usually has).
You plan 50 FU grafts/sq cm in the hairline area and 40 behind that.

Being very conservative, lets say only 50 sq cms at 50 grafts per sq cm (= 2500 grafts), and 100 sq cms at 40 grafts per sq cm (= 4000 grafts).

That shows that the person requires 6500 grafts even for this moderate requirement.
If the doctor does not tell you this before offering to do a 1800 or 2500 graft procedure, please tell him to explain to you in simple mathematics how what they are offering is in synch with what you want.

I hope this helps you.
Regards,
Dr. A

» I have booked a hair transplant consultation and would like to know what
» are some of the questions I should ask? I know I do not want strip but
» other than that what else do I need to find out fromthe doctor?

Get this
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11979944

greet politely the doctor and ask him is it ok to record the consultation for your records.

Chances are he will show you the door.

But, If by some chance, not ordinarily encountered, he agrees that you can, ask him this:

Do all his “surgical technicians” have valid, unrevoked, or unsuspended certificates/licenses?

Do they place the grafts in the receptor sites during HT surgery?

And if they do, Is he, The surgeon, in the room all the time with his HT patient,(that would be you) supervising that process of grafts transplant?

Chances are he will show you the door. But if he doesn’t and gives you an answer chances are most HT doctors will inform you that his surgical technicians are trained by him personally, that surgical Technicians do not require “licenses” - they are all individually trained by their own Doc to the standard the Doc "feels "is required for their clinic .Then, if this is not enough for you to get up and run away, most HT doctors,(if they REALLY have to) would inform you that …Sure, the “surgical technicians” place the grafts in the receptor sites, and no, the HT doctor IS NOT with you all the time during the surgery.

If you are still there and listening and it doesn’t sound too bad for you ask him why the surgeon is not with the patient when it is the operating surgeon to whom you, the patient, gave consent to operate?

He will show you the door. If not, tell us what excuse he told you, so we can laugh.

If after he told you he won’t be with you all the time during surgery(if that is what he told you) and you really want to discover how many hours you will be left with “surgical technicians’ who have no formal medical training whatsoever, to transplant human tissue (hair follicles) on your head, without direct supervision from the doctor, go ahead, it is all good…. they will most likely play the latest movie for you and offer you munching on snacks.

Good luck

» As far as I know the medical community in the USA is legally prohibited
» from having you sign papers once the drugs go into your system.

I believe you when you say that. I believe you because there is a theory that the practice of acquiring informed consent is rooted in the post-World War II Nuremberg Trials. At the war crimes tribunal in 1949,10 standards were put forth regarding physicians’requirements for experimentation on human subjects.
This established a new standard of ethical medical behavior for the post-WW II human rights age, and the concept of voluntary informed consent was established.
A number of rules accompanied voluntary informed consent. It could only be requested for experimentation for the gain of society, for the potential acquisition of knowledge of the pathology of disease, and for studies performed that avoided physical and mental suffering to the fullest extent
possible.

Today, all of the 50 United States have legislation that delineates the required standards for informed consent. For example, the State of Washington employs the second approach outlined as the reasonable patient standard (what an average patient would need to know to be an informed participant in the decision). This approach ensures that a doctor fulfills all professional responsibilities and provides the best care possible and that patients have choices in decisions about their health care.

However, the patient’s competence in making a decision is
considered

So, in the light of the what was written/said, do any of you think that is of any consequence that the consent is given to patient for signature after he was medicated with such medications?Any concerns about his or her capacity to make decision?

Well said, john 35

Before ANY doctor pulls out his calculator, this needs to be understood.

Otherwise, all the figures assurances promises are meaningless, as many already know.

And most keep their silence through fear

There was a famous , well publicised case here in Australia some years ago.

A patient was butchered, took it to court, had his details and face all over the news, and lost.

I am not sure, but I think he had to pay damages to the doctor

And all because of a watertight disclaimer

Dr Ray Woods

» Thanks, what does transection rate mean?

This is when a donor follicle is damaged or cut in half during the harvesting process. See image below. The doctor has no way of knowing how a follicle is positioned underneath the skin. An unskilled FUE doctor can easily damage the donor.

Don’t just go to one doctor. Try to schedule a consultation with as many doctors as possible. Where possible, you should meet some hair transplant patients and get their opinions as well.

Do NOT rush into anything. Give yourself at least 4-6 months to research thoroughly before making a decision.

» Well said, john 35
»
» Before ANY doctor pulls out his calculator, this needs to be understood.
»
» Otherwise, all the figures assurances promises are meaningless, as many
» already know.
»
» And most keep their silence through fear
»
» There was a famous , well publicised case here in Australia some years
» ago.
»
» A patient was butchered, took it to court, had his details and face all
» over the news, and lost.
»
» I am not sure, but I think he had to pay damages to the doctor
»
» And all because of a watertight disclaimer
»
» Dr Ray Woods

Yes Dr.Woods,alot of doctors love mathematics (and physics) but don’t like to stay with their patient during major parts of the transplant.

I think that is relevant and material info that needs to be disclosed to patient.HT surgery is invasive procedure, it affect persons’ bodies, comfort, and lives in very invasive and irreversible or long-lasting ways.I know that my self all too well. It is on my head.

The physical touching of a person’s body without authorization or consent is an offense, often called assault in criminal law and battery in civil law directed toward compensation. The person’s consent to the touching neutralizes or removes the offense.
Consent is an important concept in medical and related health care. Health care personnel act unethically, unprofessionally, and illegally if they directly interfere with a person’s body without consent by undertaking unauthorized procedures on the person,exceeding consent the person has given, or performing procedures different from those the person has approved.

Is leaving the “surgical technicians” to perform the actual transplantation of hair follicles to the receptors when the doctor is not present, and the patient did not know that would be the case prior to signing that consent form, exceeding the consent that the patient gave? I think yes.
The consent must be adequately informed for it to satisfy legal and ethical standards. The doctor has a legal duty to ensure that the person whose consent is required receives information that is material to the choice whether or not to consent. Is the information that HT “surgical technicians” do not have formal medical training (if they don’t and it had been said on forums that it is established standard that they don’t)a material information? Is the physical absence of the HT doctor from the surgery room during the actual act of “transplant” material information? If it is why is not disclosed? If it is not material, why it isn’t?

Is telling THAT the prospective patient during consult a Reasonable effort that must be made to ensure that the person understands the information to his or her satisfaction. Because, that patient might not undergo such surgery if that info was disclosed to him .I know I certainly wouldn’t. The individual needs to be in possession of relevant facts… and also of his reasoning faculties, such as being without an impairment of judgment at the time of consenting. Such impairments among other things might include, intoxication, etc.Do above mentioned medications given to patient prior to signing the consent form can cause such impairment?I think yes.

That kind of set up opens WIDE doors for PREDATOR HT doctors .Have any of you idea how much damage "surgical technicians"could do.SPECIALLY without direct supervision of the doctor and specially when they do not work for that HT Doctor full time.

And that rule IS ESTABLISHED And most of you here KNOW that because you had your hair transplant surgeries.

BECAUSE the way is set up, BUTCHERS can not be prosecuted, BECAUSE even the well established clinics with consistently good results, FOLLOW the same rules.

I will give you analogy

Drinking and driving is against the Law.We all know that.

Why?

Because it is proven that driving skills are impaired because the driver is drunk, thus prone to cause an accident.

NOW,DRUNKEN BOB is an excellent driver with excellent driving skills, and he is much better driver when drunk that, Steven who is 90 years old,grandpa following the speed limit, (even driving bellow the speed limit). Even that in reality that Grandpa is more likely to cause an accident, he is not going to get arrested, but DRUNKEN BOB will, Because statistically drinking does not improve driving skills but impairs them and THEREFORE to prevent harm and exposure to harm the lawmaker forbids drinking and driving
Now we have “Christopher” who is HT doctor with great skill, his surgical technicians are excellent too.
He knows that those surgical technicians even when he is not around will do their best and their best is top notch work.

Jeff is HT doctors with very bad skills and he has surgical technicians that also are very bad at what they do. They don’t work for Jeff exclusively and don’t care if Jeff is going to call them again to work for him or not. So they F****K the patients up because Jeff is not there in the surgical room to follow the progress and supervise them.

The patient is disfigured. He goes to Christopher and says…look this Jeff left me alone with his technicians and instead of 2000 grafts they put 200 all sparse and far apart…do you think Jeff breached his duty of care to me when he left me with those people unsupervised, I need your opinion because the courts think that there is such thing as Ethic in your field of practice and they request that I bring them in writing letter from another HT doctor that indeed Jeff did me wrong.

Christopher refuses, because, HE DOES THE SAME THING AS JEFF, which is leaving the surgical room for extended time,leaving his patient alone with the “surgical technicians”… Among HT doctors how many of them are Jeff and how many Christopher? What do you think? And, consequently how many patients would end up with Jeff’s and how many with Christopher’s?

THAT IS WHY the Law FORBIDS that surgeon abandons patient. Because STATISTICALLY patient left alone without the surgeon being present EXPOSES PATIENT TO HARM.Is leaving HT patient alone for hours when the transplantation of folicles is done in that doctors physical absence abandoning the patient?I don’t know,but I would like to know,if the doctors here would kindly chime in and enlighten me.

The practice of drinking alcohol and driving is an example of this kind of arrangement. This risky behavior fortunately causes harm less often than it occurs. Persons who drink to the point of impairment or beyond and drive, but do not cause an accident as a result, are lucky. From a moral perspective, since it is only luck that separates members of the drinking drivers group who cause harm from members who do not, each member bears some degree of guilt and moral taint.

By aplied analogy to the questions I posted about specific conducts that harm or expose to harm patients,such as, leaving of patient in midle of surgery,delegating Physician duties to non med personel etc …

It is the willingness here of Almost every one of the HT “Industry” to engage in behavior (like drink driving is) likely to cause harm (injury to patient,and/or adverse efect) that justifies liability for the whole group, and this group HT "Industry liability is independent of the additional individual liability of a particular doc " intentionaly violating patient rights to cut cost and expand profit, whose risky behavior actually results in harm (it could and it does).

Keep up the good work Dr.Woods. Things change. And the HT “standard of care” will change too, sooner or later. And people will remember the dark days and the disgraced majority and admire man like you who DIDN’T submit to the travesty just to make more bucks and be invited into “the club”

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-56014-page-3-category-2-order-last_answer.html

This I totally agree, it makes me sick to my stomach that doctors charge a fortune and they turn around and let some $10 an hour technician work on me, talk about a business with huge profit margin!

» » Well said, john 35
» »
» » Before ANY doctor pulls out his calculator, this needs to be
» understood.
» »
» » Otherwise, all the figures assurances promises are meaningless, as many
» » already know.
» »
» » And most keep their silence through fear
» »
» » There was a famous , well publicised case here in Australia some years
» » ago.
» »
» » A patient was butchered, took it to court, had his details and face all
» » over the news, and lost.
» »
» » I am not sure, but I think he had to pay damages to the doctor
» »
» » And all because of a watertight disclaimer
» »
» » Dr Ray Woods
»
» Yes Dr.Woods,alot of doctors love mathematics (and physics) but don’t like
» to stay with their patient during major parts of the transplant.
»
» I think that is relevant and material info that needs to be disclosed to
» patient.HT surgery is invasive procedure, it affect persons’ bodies,
» comfort, and lives in very invasive and irreversible or long-lasting ways.I
» know that my self all too well. It is on my head.
»
» The physical touching of a person’s body without authorization or consent
» is an offense, often called assault in criminal law and battery in civil
» law directed toward compensation. The person’s consent to the touching
» neutralizes or removes the offense.
» Consent is an important concept in medical and related health care. Health
» care personnel act unethically, unprofessionally, and illegally if they
» directly interfere with a person’s body without consent by undertaking
» unauthorized procedures on the person,exceeding consent the person has
» given, or performing procedures different from those the person has
» approved.
»
» Does leaving the “surgical technicians” to perform the actual
» transplantation of hair follicles to the receptors when the doctor is not
» present, and the patient did not know that would be the case prior to
» signing that consent form, exceeding the consent that the patient
» gave
? I think yes.
» The consent must be adequately informed for it to satisfy legal and
» ethical standards. The doctor has a legal duty to ensure that the person
» whose consent is required receives information that is material to the
» choice whether or not to consent. Is the information that HT “surgical
» technicians” do not have formal medical training (if they don’t and it had
» been said on forums that it is established standard that they don’t)a
» material information?
Is the physical absence of the HT doctor from the
» surgery room during the actual act of “transplant” material information?
» If it is why is not disclosed? If it is not, why it isn’t?
»
» Is telling THAT the prospective patient during consult a
» Reasonable effort
that must also be made to ensure that the person
» understands the information to his or her satisfaction. Because, that
» patient might not undergo such surgery if that info was disclosed to him .I
» know I certainly wouldn’t. The individual needs to be in possession of
» relevant facts… and also of his reasoning faculties, such as being
» without an impairment of judgment at the time of consenting.
Such
» impairments among other things might include, intoxication, etc.Do above
» mentioned medications given to patient prior to signing the consent form
» can cause such impairment?I think yes.
»
» That kind of set up opens WIDE doors for PREDATOR HT doctors .Have any of
» you idea how much damage "surgical technicians"could do.SPECIALLY without
» direct supervision of the doctor and specially when they do not work for
» that HT Doctor full time.
»
» And that rule IS ESTABLISHED And most of you here KNOW that because you
» had your hair transplant surgeries.
»
» BECAUSE the way is set up, BUTCHERS can not be prosecuted, BECAUSE even
» the well established clinics with consistently good results, FOLLOW the
» same rules.
»
» I will give you analogy
»
» Drinking and driving is against the Law.We all know that.
»
» Why?
»
» Because it is proven that driving skills are impaired because the driver
» is drunk, thus prone to cause an accident.
»
» NOW,DRUNKEN BOB is an excellent driver with excellent driving skills, and
» he is much better driver when drunk that, Steven who is 90 years
» old,grandpa following the speed limit, (even driving bellow the speed
» limit). Even that in reality that Grandpa is more likely to cause an
» accident, he is not going to get arrested, but DRUNKEN BOB will, Because
» statistically drinking does not improve driving skills but impairs them and
» THEREFORE to prevent harm and exposure to harm the lawmaker forbids
» drinking and driving
» Now we have “Christopher” who is HT doctor with great skill, his surgical
» technicians are excellent too.
» He knows that those surgical technicians even when he is not around will
» do their best and their best is top notch work.
»
» Jeff is HT doctors with very bad skills and he has surgical technicians
» that also are very bad at what they do. They don’t work for Jeff
» exclusively and don’t care if Jeff is going to call them again to work for
» him or not. So they F****K the patients up because Jeff is not there in the
» surgical room to follow the progress and supervise them.
»
» The patient is disfigured. He goes to Christopher and says…look this
» Jeff left me alone with his technicians and instead of 2000 grafts they put
» 200 all sparse and far apart…do you think Jeff breached his duty of care
» to me when he left me with those people unsupervised, I need your opinion
» because the courts think that there is such thing as Ethic in your field of
» practice and they request that I bring them in writing letter from another
» HT doctor that indeed Jeff did me wrong.
»
» Christopher refuses, because, HE DOES THE SAME THING AS JEFF, which is
» leaving the surgical room for extended time,leaving his patient alone with
» the “surgical technicians”… Among HT doctors how many of them are Jeff
» and how many Christopher? What do you think? And, consequently how many
» patients would end up with Jeff’s and how many with Christopher’s?
»
» THAT IS WHY the Law FORBIDS that surgeon abandons patient. Because
» STATISTICALLY patient left alone without the surgeon being present EXPOSES
» PATIENT TO HARM.Is leaving HT patient alone for hours when the
» transplantation of folicles is done in that doctors physical absence
» abandoning the patient?I don’t know,but I would like to know,if the doctors
» here would kindly chime in and enlighten me.
»
» The practice of drinking alcohol and driving is an example of this kind of
» arrangement. This risky behavior fortunately causes harm less often than it
» occurs. Persons who drink to the point of impairment or beyond and drive,
» but do not cause an accident as a result, are lucky. From a moral
» perspective, since it is only luck that separates members of the drinking
» drivers group who cause harm from members who do not, each member bears
» some degree of guilt and moral taint.
»
» By aplied analogy to the questions I posted about specific conducts that
» harm or expose to harm patients,such as, leaving of patient in midle of
» surgery,delegating Physician duties to non med personel etc …
»
» It is the willingness here of Almost every one of the HT “Industry”
» to engage in behavior (like drink driving is) likely to cause harm (injury
» to patient,and/or adverse efect) that justifies liability for the whole
» group, and this group HT "Industry liability is independent of the
» additional individual liability of a particular doc " intentionaly
» violating patient rights to cut cost and expand profit, whose risky
» behavior actually results in harm (it could and it does).
»
»
» Keep up the good work Dr.Woods. Things change. And the HT “standard of
» care” will change too, sooner or later. And people will remember the dark
» days and the disgraced majority and admire man like you who DIDN’T submit
» to the travesty just to make more bucks and be invited into “the club”
»
» http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-56014-page-3-category-2-order-last_answer.html

Hello my friends, I had my consultation! will I get into trouble for disclosing the name of the clinic in a public forum? Anyway, thanks for everyone’s advice, I asked some good questions (I think), contrary to what Pauly said, I did meet with a doctor, well I was greeted by a consultant first and after he filled out a questionnaire with me and asked me some general questions the doctor came in and finished off the rest of the consultation with me, I don’t know why but I am actually more nervous about getting a hair transplant now that I had my consultation, it probably has nothing to do with the doctor whom I met but more because of the posts I read on this board. I was quoted 1500 grafts to fill in both wedges of my temples, neither the doctor nor the consultant said a word about legal forms or disclaimer, the consultant went over the post op instructions with me verbally and he said the details will be included in a package for me to take home when I am ready to book an appointment for the surgery, I think overall it was a good experience especially when the consultation was free of chrage :slight_smile:

» Hello my friends, I had my consultation! will I get into trouble for
» disclosing the name of the clinic in a public forum? Anyway, thanks for
» everyone’s advice, I asked some good questions (I think), contrary to what
» Pauly said, I did meet with a doctor, well I was greeted by a consultant
» first and after he filled out a questionnaire with me and asked me some
» general questions the doctor came in and finished off the rest of the
» consultation with me, I don’t know why but I am actually more nervous about
» getting a hair transplant now that I had my consultation, it probably has
» nothing to do with the doctor whom I met but more because of the posts I
» read on this board. I was quoted 1500 grafts to fill in both wedges of my
» temples, neither the doctor nor the consultant said a word about legal
» forms or disclaimer, the consultant went over the post op instructions with
» me verbally and he said the details will be included in a package for me to
» take home when I am ready to book an appointment for the surgery, I think
» overall it was a good experience especially when the consultation was free
» of chrage :slight_smile:

I personally don’t know who is the doctor and I personally don’t want to know . I am glad you had a good experience. I didn’t know you wanted the posts on this thread to be written in a way to make you comfortable or less nervous. I apologize to you if my post made you uncomfortable or nervous. I thought you asked what we think are good questions to ask during HT consult. Please forgive me for thinking that. I would have written something else to make you feel very comfortable if I had known that was the purpose of the question. Thus, disregard my opinion about what are relevant questions to ask during consult. Best wishes.

» Hello my friends, I had my consultation! will I get into trouble for
» disclosing the name of the clinic in a public forum? Anyway, thanks for
» everyone’s advice, I asked some good questions (I think), contrary to what
» Pauly said, I did meet with a doctor, well I was greeted by a consultant
» first and after he filled out a questionnaire with me and asked me some
» general questions the doctor came in and finished off the rest of the
» consultation with me, I don’t know why but I am actually more nervous about
» getting a hair transplant now that I had my consultation, it probably has
» nothing to do with the doctor whom I met but more because of the posts I
» read on this board. I was quoted 1500 grafts to fill in both wedges of my
» temples, neither the doctor nor the consultant said a word about legal
» forms or disclaimer, the consultant went over the post op instructions with
» me verbally and he said the details will be included in a package for me to
» take home when I am ready to book an appointment for the surgery, I think
» overall it was a good experience especially when the consultation was free
» of chrage :slight_smile:

I want to know who s the doctor?

» The patient may think he will get hair over all areas and the doctor plans
» to realistically provide a frontal framing with deeply recessed temples and
» a bald crown. (Thats where the term “realistic expectations” comes
» from).
»
» Today, that should not happen. As an aware patient you should know what a
» particular number of grafts can acheive for you before you go for
» your first hairtransplant.
»
» Discuss these things with your doctor.
» Regards,
» Dr. A

What does an “aware” patient mean?I personally have positive feeling of esteem for a person or other entity ,untill I find good and sufficient reason to believe otherwise.That was the case for my regard for the doctors too.You see,I didn’t know I had to be “aware” patient.Too bad people have to be aware not to get …(please put here aware of what) by a doctor,don’t you think Dr.A?

I think that saying “aware” patient is not punctiliously exact when the word “aware” alone does not explain to us,in how we should be aware before we go and see doctor, if we use a standard of what a reasonable person would think is right or proper in this instance to consider being aware when interacting with a doctor.Aware of what?

» What does an “aware” patient mean?I personally have positive feeling of
» esteem for a person or other entity ,untill I find good and sufficient
» reason to believe otherwise.That was the case for my regard for the doctors
» too.You see,I didn’t know I had to be “aware” patient.Too bad people have
» to be aware not to get …(please put here aware of what) by a
» doctor,don’t you think Dr.A?
»
» I think that saying “aware” patient is not punctiliously exact when the
» word “aware” alone does not explain to us,in how we should be aware before
» we go and see doctor, if we use a standard of what a reasonable person
» would think is right or proper in this instance to consider being aware
» when interacting with a doctor.Aware of what?

Dear john35,
That is a very good question. Unlike other fields of medicine, hair transplant has two peculiarities :

1. Hair transplants are not essential. Hairloss is not a life or death ailment where the doctor prescribes the treatment and the patient is expected to take it. In hair transplants, the patient has to be aware of the limitations of the treatment. And to be aware of the fact that he can choose not to go for the treatment and still lead a healthy life.

2. The patient has to be aware that unlike other fields of medicine, doctors neither need to have a indepth training to be called a hair transplant doctor, nor, in most instances, do they have access to such training.

A simple example : If your child is ill, you can be pretty sure to find a qualified paediatrician in your city. The paediatrician will have a certain minimum level of training and ability.
You do not need to do an online research for a suitable paediatrician. But for a hair transplant doctor, you require that level of research or awareness to make sure you are going
a). to the right individual
b). to get the correct advise.

Regards,
Dr. A

» Don’t just go to one doctor. Try to schedule a consultation with as many
» doctors as possible. Where possible, you should meet some hair transplant
» patients and get their opinions as well.
»
» Do NOT rush into anything. Give yourself at least 4-6 months to research
» thoroughly before making a decision.

I agree with what Hairsite said. When i was researching my hair transplant Dr. Armani was at the top of my list, but I also had 3 other doctors I was considering. I sent in my photos to 4 different doctors so I could compare their evaluations. I wanted to see the different clinic’s strategies.

I felt it helped me make a more educated decision.

» » Hello my friends, I had my consultation! will I get into trouble for
» » disclosing the name of the clinic in a public forum? Anyway, thanks
» for
» » everyone’s advice, I asked some good questions (I think), contrary to
» what
» » Pauly said, I did meet with a doctor, well I was greeted by a
» consultant
» » first and after he filled out a questionnaire with me and asked me some
» » general questions the doctor came in and finished off the rest of the
» » consultation with me, I don’t know why but I am actually more nervous
» about
» » getting a hair transplant now that I had my consultation, it probably
» has
» » nothing to do with the doctor whom I met but more because of the posts
» I
» » read on this board. I was quoted 1500 grafts to fill in both wedges of
» my
» » temples, neither the doctor nor the consultant said a word about legal
» » forms or disclaimer, the consultant went over the post op instructions
» with
» » me verbally and he said the details will be included in a package for me
» to
» » take home when I am ready to book an appointment for the surgery, I
» think
» » overall it was a good experience especially when the consultation was
» free
» » of chrage :slight_smile:
»
»
» I personally don’t know who is the doctor and I personally don’t want to
» know . I am glad you had a good experience. I didn’t know you wanted the
» posts on this thread to be written in a way to make you comfortable or less
» nervous. I apologize to you if my post made you uncomfortable or nervous. I
» thought you asked what we think are good questions to ask during HT
» consult. Please forgive me for thinking that. I would have written
» something else to make you feel very comfortable if I had known that was
» the purpose of the question. Thus, disregard my opinion about what are
» relevant questions to ask during consult. Best wishes.

Yeah you should apologize, you think everything is about YOU? When did I ever say that it was your posts that made me nervous about getting a hair transplant? Someone wrote something and you immediately think that it has to be about you. Narcissistic freak! Apparently there are a lot of nut cases and politics here, you are right, I shouldn’t mention any names in case someone kills himself over that.

» » » Hello my friends, I had my consultation! will I get into trouble for
» » » disclosing the name of the clinic in a public forum? Anyway, thanks
» » for
» » » everyone’s advice, I asked some good questions (I think), contrary to
» » what
» » » Pauly said, I did meet with a doctor, well I was greeted by a
» » consultant
» » » first and after he filled out a questionnaire with me and asked me
» some
» » » general questions the doctor came in and finished off the rest of the
» » » consultation with me, I don’t know why but I am actually more nervous
» » about
» » » getting a hair transplant now that I had my consultation, it probably
» » has
» » » nothing to do with the doctor whom I met but more because of the
» posts
» » I
» » » read on this board. I was quoted 1500 grafts to fill in both wedges
» of
» » my
» » » temples, neither the doctor nor the consultant said a word about
» legal
» » » forms or disclaimer, the consultant went over the post op
» instructions
» » with
» » » me verbally and he said the details will be included in a package for
» me
» » to
» » » take home when I am ready to book an appointment for the surgery, I
» » think
» » » overall it was a good experience especially when the consultation was
» » free
» » » of chrage :slight_smile:
» »
» »
» » I personally don’t know who is the doctor and I personally don’t want
» to
» » know . I am glad you had a good experience. I didn’t know you wanted
» the
» » posts on this thread to be written in a way to make you comfortable or
» less
» » nervous. I apologize to you if my post made you uncomfortable or
» nervous. I
» » thought you asked what we think are good questions to ask during HT
» » consult. Please forgive me for thinking that. I would have written
» » something else to make you feel very comfortable if I had known that
» was
» » the purpose of the question. Thus, disregard my opinion about what are
» » relevant questions to ask during consult. Best wishes.
»
» Yeah you should apologize, you think everything is about YOU? When did I
» ever say that it was your posts that made me nervous about getting a hair
» transplant? Someone wrote something and you immediately think that it has
» to be about you. Narcissistic freak! Apparently there are a lot of nut
» cases and politics here, you are right, I shouldn’t mention any names in
» case someone kills himself over that.

I didn’t say it had to be about my post, but just in case if my post was one of those that made you more nervous and uncomfortable. I said if.
For the rest of what you wrote ,I have no comment. You now take care and Best wishes

» » What does an “aware” patient mean?I personally have positive feeling of
» » esteem for a person or other entity ,untill I find good and sufficient
» » reason to believe otherwise.That was the case for my regard for the
» doctors
» » too.You see,I didn’t know I had to be “aware” patient.Too bad people
» have
» » to be aware not to get …(please put here aware of what) by a
» » doctor,don’t you think Dr.A?
» »
» » I think that saying “aware” patient is not punctiliously exact when
» the
» » word “aware” alone does not explain to us,in how we should be aware
» before
» » we go and see doctor, if we use a standard of what a reasonable person
» » would think is right or proper in this instance to consider being aware
» » when interacting with a doctor.Aware of what?
»
» Dear john35,
» That is a very good question. Unlike other fields of medicine, hair
» transplant has two peculiarities :
» 1. Hair transplants are not essential. Hairloss is not a life or death
» ailment where the doctor prescribes the treatment and the patient is
» expected to take it. In hair transplants, the patient has to be
» aware of the limitations of the treatment. And to be aware of
» the fact that he can choose not to go for the treatment and still lead a
» healthy life.
»
» 2. The patient has to be aware that unlike other fields of
» medicine, doctors neither need to have a indepth training to be called a
» hair transplant doctor, nor, in most instances, do they have access to such
» training.
»
» A simple example : If your child is ill, you can be pretty sure to find a
» qualified paediatrician in your city. The paediatrician will have a certain
» minimum level of training and ability.
» You do not need to do an online research for a suitable paediatrician. But
» for a hair transplant doctor, you require that level of research or
» awareness to make sure you are going
» a). to the right individual
» b). to get the correct advise.
»
» Regards,
» Dr. A

I see.

Thank you Dr.A.

Still,too bad that is the case.

Perhaps something can be done this reality to be improved?

And we all, when we want to find Ht doctor to do surgery on us, will not have to do online research but we will be rest assured to find a qualified HT Doc without the “awareness” and such research

FYI, this was first published in 2000 and is what we base the principals of our practice on.

Wendy Roche
Clinical Consultant to Dr Ray Woods
PH: +612 9560 0111
www.woodstechnique.com.au

The Woods Technique
List of Patient’s Rights

These are the principals upon which The Woods Technique has been built. It is our profound hope that one day; this document will be the standard by which all doctors in the industry abide.

1. No Strip Excision to be performed or offered by the clinic

2. No assistants. Only a 1 to 1 doctor patient ratio:
    The day a patient decides to alter their appearance via hair transplantation is one of the most important days in their life. They deserve the absolute attention of a skilled micro surgeon throughout the entire removal and placement of every follicle.

3. No unfair legal disclaimer:
    This allows lawyers to defend the indefensible results of poor surgery.

4. All doctors are to be fully trained, assessed and accredited according to a strict code of conduct, ethics and ability:
    All surgery is to be performed according to highly skilled microsurgical standards and discipline.

5. Patient interaction and intra-operative monitoring of follicular placement

6. Largest instrument to be used for follicular placement in normal skin is a 21 gauge hypodermic needle

7. Random intra operative video assessment of follicular removal from the donor site verifying transaction rate directly to the patient if requested

8 Donor Site Conservation and Protection:
Avoidance of follicular damage due to incorrect technique, inexperience and production line mentality

9 No intravenous sedation/analgesia
The patient should be aware, lucid, fully informed and interacting during the procedure. Drugs that significantly affect the patients’ ability to make decisions and interact must not be used.

1. Do No Harm
    None of the above are subject to compromise.

Dr Ray Woods
Founder of The Woods Technique

Point # 7, can you explain? How do you verify transection rate and what about the video assessment, how does that work?

» FYI, this was first published in 2000 and is what we base the principals of
» our practice on.
»
» Wendy Roche
» Clinical Consultant to Dr Ray Woods
» PH: +612 9560 0111
» www.woodstechnique.com.au
»
» The Woods Technique
» List of Patient’s Rights

»
» These are the principals upon which The Woods Technique has been built. It
» is our profound hope that one day; this document will be the standard by
» which all doctors in the industry abide.
»
» 1. No Strip Excision to be performed or offered by the clinic
»
» 2. No assistants. Only a 1 to 1 doctor patient ratio:
» The day a patient decides to alter their appearance via hair
» transplantation is one of the most important days in their life. They
» deserve the absolute attention of a skilled micro surgeon throughout the
» entire removal and placement of every follicle.
»
» 3. No unfair legal disclaimer:
» This allows lawyers to defend the indefensible results of poor surgery.
»
» 4. All doctors are to be fully trained, assessed and accredited according
» to a strict code of conduct, ethics and ability:
» All surgery is to be performed according to highly skilled microsurgical
» standards and discipline.
»
» 5. Patient interaction and intra-operative monitoring of follicular
» placement
»
» 6. Largest instrument to be used for follicular placement in normal skin
» is a 21 gauge hypodermic needle
»
» 7. Random intra operative video assessment of follicular removal from the
» donor site verifying transaction rate directly to the patient if requested
»
» 8 Donor Site Conservation and Protection:
» Avoidance of follicular damage due to incorrect technique, inexperience
» and production line mentality
»
» 9 No intravenous sedation/analgesia
» The patient should be aware, lucid, fully informed and interacting during
» the procedure. Drugs that significantly affect the patients’ ability to
» make decisions and interact must not be used.
»
» 10. Do No Harm
» None of the above are subject to compromise.
»
»
» Dr Ray Woods
» Founder of The Woods Technique