Vitamin E may reverse male pattern baldness: Study

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Vitamin-E-may-reverse-male-pattern-baldness-Study?nocount

What do you think?

Don’t know what to think of it - too good and simple to be true. Does it state that it halts hair loss? How long were they taking the vitamin-e for in the trial? 41-50+% is A LOT of growth. I can’t see this being realistically possible unless we don’t know about this because there’s more money to be made with the pharmaceutical products :slight_smile:

Let’s give this form of vitamin-E a trial amongst ourselves and draw conclusions from there.

Nice find.

» http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Vitamin-E-may-reverse-male-pattern-baldness-Study?nocount
»
» What do you think?

I agree with the last statement. Nonetheless, I’ve been taking a vitamin E supplement for a little over a month…but that’s along with curcumin/reveratrol so there’s no way of knowing which of these will have positive effects. I’ll still make a progress report once I’ve hit the 3 month mark. So far, my hair is still a sickly yellow/red.

» http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Vitamin-E-may-reverse-male-pattern-baldness-Study?nocount
»
» What do you think?

I think I’d like to try it-couldn’t hurt and doesn’t sound like an expensive option.Nothing on the company’s (Carotech)website says when and where it can be purchased-anyone know?

It can be bought here http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Tocomin-SupraBio-Palm-Tocotrienol-Complex-60-mg-120-Softgels?csrc=GPF-835003008933#IngredientFacts

They come in 60mg, so taking 2 daily would be ideal. I’m already taking vitamin-e but it’s not the same “toco-” used in the study, so I think I’ll replace it with the ones used in the study. Should be interesting.

We know HOW dut, propecia, minox works for hair loss. But is there any halfway-mad scientists here that know HOW vitamin-e tocotrienol complex works on hair loss? The study shows it’s all dandy but does not show how it helps and what exactly the vitamin-e’s role is biologically. Does it kill the DHT? Does it revive dormant folicles? Make thicker the vellus hair and maybe a growth stimulant?

» »
» »
» » What do you think?
»
» I think I’d like to try it-couldn’t hurt and doesn’t sound like an
» expensive option.Nothing on the company’s (Carotech)website says when and
» where it can be purchased-anyone know?

» I agree with the last statement. Nonetheless, I’ve been taking a vitamin E
» supplement for a little over a month…but that’s along with
» curcumin/reveratrol so there’s no way of knowing which of these will have
» positive effects. I’ll still make a progress report once I’ve hit the 3
» month mark. So far, my hair is still a sickly yellow/red.

you need to be on a super hair vitamin, and mineral chelated,
if you are not you are nuts

»
» What do you think?

I think its total hogwash, have been on vitamin E
for 20 plus years, no regrowth from it
the only thing that regrew mine was DHT Blockers

I’m not saying it does work and I’m not discrediting it at the same time, although I am a tiny bit skeptical about it.

The everyday vitemin-e pills we take daily are not the tocotrienol complex used in the study so I doubt your vitamin-e has anything to do with hair regrowth.

"There are eight forms of vitamin E: four tocopherols (alpha, beta, gamma, delta) and four tocotrienols (alpha, beta, gamma, delta). Alpha-tocopherol is the main source found in supplements and in the European diet, while gamma-tocopherol is the most common form in the American diet.

Tocotrienols (TCT) are only minor components in plants, although several sources with relatively high levels include palm oil, cereal grains and rice bran. "

While the majority of research on vitamin E has focused on alpha-Toc, studies into tocotrienols account for less than one per cent of all research into vitamin E.

» »
» »
» » What do you think?
»
» I think its total hogwash, have been on vitamin E
» for 20 plus years, no regrowth from it
» the only thing that regrew mine was DHT Blockers

» I’m not saying it does work and I’m not discrediting it at the same time,
» although I am a tiny bit skeptical about it.
»
» The everyday vitemin-e pills we take daily are not the tocotrienol complex
» used in the study so I doubt your vitamin-e has anything to do with hair
» regrowth.
»
» "There are eight forms of vitamin E: four tocopherols (alpha, beta,
» gamma, delta) and four tocotrienols (alpha, beta, gamma, delta).
» Alpha-tocopherol is the main source found in supplements and in the
» European diet, while gamma-tocopherol is the most common form in the
» American diet.
»
»
» Tocotrienols (TCT) are only minor components in plants, although several
» sources with relatively high levels include palm oil, cereal grains and
» rice bran.
"
»
»
» While the majority of research on vitamin E has focused on alpha-Toc,
» studies into tocotrienols account for less than one per cent of all
» research into vitamin E.
»
»
»
» » »
» »
» » »
» » » What do you think?
» »
» » I think its total hogwash, have been on vitamin E
» » for 20 plus years, no regrowth from it
» » the only thing that regrew mine was DHT Blockers

How much a day are we talking? Though not absolutely proven, and the research was on an older group, I would say be sure to take no more than 400ui a day.

» » I’m not saying it does work and I’m not discrediting it at the same
» time,
» » although I am a tiny bit skeptical about it.
» »
» » The everyday vitemin-e pills we take daily are not the tocotrienol
» complex
» » used in the study so I doubt your vitamin-e has anything to do with
» hair
» » regrowth.
» »
» » "There are eight forms of vitamin E: four tocopherols (alpha, beta,
» » gamma, delta) and four tocotrienols (alpha, beta, gamma, delta).
» » Alpha-tocopherol is the main source found in supplements and in the
» » European diet, while gamma-tocopherol is the most common form in the
» » American diet.
» »
» »
» » Tocotrienols (TCT) are only minor components in plants, although
» several
» » sources with relatively high levels include palm oil, cereal grains and
» » rice bran.
"
» »
» »
» » While the majority of research on vitamin E has focused on alpha-Toc,
» » studies into tocotrienols account for less than one per cent of all
» » research into vitamin E.
» »
» »
» »
» » » »
» » »
» »
» » » »
» » » » What do you think?
» » »
» » » I think its total hogwash, have been on vitamin E
» » » for 20 plus years, no regrowth from it
» » » the only thing that regrew mine was DHT Blockers
»
»
»
» How much a day are we talking? Though not absolutely proven, and the
» research was on an older group, I would say be sure to take no more than
» 400ui a day.
»
» Integrative Medicine & Healthy Living | Andrew Weil, M.D.

not good to overload on the vitamins that are fat soluble ie vitamins A or E
the body cannot excrete the excess in the urine , as it can with the water soluble Bs etc

it looks good on paper but i highly doubt this will create any real benefits for hair. I used to take vitamin E and it did nothing for my hair.

» it looks good on paper but i highly doubt this will create any real
» benefits for hair. I used to take vitamin E and it did nothing for my hair.

Total BS. If it were that easy, would there be millions of bald men around? I took Vitamin E for my skin around the time hair loss started. Vitamin E is worthless as far as hair is concerned.

» I agree with the last statement. Nonetheless, I’ve been taking a vitamin E
» supplement for a little over a month…but that’s along with
» curcumin/reveratrol so there’s no way of knowing which of these will have
» positive effects. I’ll still make a progress report once I’ve hit the 3
» month mark. So far, my hair is still a sickly yellow/red. Any Luck

Just curious if anyone had any luck.

» » it looks good on paper but i highly doubt this will create any real
» » benefits for hair. I used to take vitamin E and it did nothing for my
» hair.
»
» Total BS. If it were that easy, would there be millions of bald men
» around? I took Vitamin E for my skin around the time hair loss started.
» Vitamin E is worthless as far as hair is concerned.

There are 8 types of vitamin E, most E sold doesn’t contain the 4 E’s responsible for hair growth.

» » it looks good on paper but i highly doubt this will create any real
» » benefits for hair. I used to take vitamin E and it did nothing for my
» hair.
»
» Total BS. If it were that easy, would there be millions of bald men
» around? I took Vitamin E for my skin around the time hair loss started.
» Vitamin E is worthless as far as hair is concerned.

Good for you, replying to a threads title without reading any of the data or even having an idea what the discussion actually concerns. great Insight.

Before anyone posts nonsense on this board they should do some research on the company. If anyone takes 5 minutes to look at this company and their products, you’ll see they claim to have cures for almost everything out there using their vitamins. Modern day snake oil salesman with vitamins. Come on give me a break, keep this board for scientific breakthroughs.

» I think its total hogwash, have been on vitamin E
» for 20 plus years, no regrowth from it
» the only thing that regrew mine was DHT Blockers

Maybe one of the reasons for this:

"What makes Toco-8 different than every other Vitamin E?

First, it’s important to understand that Vitamin E is actually a term used to describe a family of nutrients. Most people think that there is only one Vitamin E, when in fact there are 8 different members that make up the Vitamin E family, listed below

The tocopherol family -

alpha-tocopherol

beta-tocopherol
gamma-tocopherol
delta-tocopherol
The tocotrienol family -

alpha-tocotrienol

beta-tocotrienol

gamma-tocotrienol
delta-tocotrienol.

All of them have important functions in the body and each a unique action. Unfortunately, the only form that’s been readily available is the alpha-tocopherol (contained in most generic Vitamin E supplements).

The popularity of alpha-tocopherol stems from the fact that it is an incredibly abundant and cheap form of Vitamin E. In the early 1900’s, during the popular time of vitamin discovery, alpha-tocopherol appeared to be the only Vitamin E utilized in the body, because it happened to be the only vitamin E easily detected in blood. (Tocotrienols tend to accumulate and protect the liver, brain, and subcutaneous tissues, while being very hard to detect in blood.) It wasn’t until recently that the other forms of Vitamin E, such as the tocotrienols, began to be uncovered as very important nutrients for human health.

The irony is that most Vitamin E products claim to be “natural” because the Vitamin E is naturally extracted from soybean oil, but then synthetically altered to create pure alpha-tocopherol. So, we miss out on all the other forms, and end up with something very unnatural. This creates a major imbalance. For instance, the National Academy of Sciences recently announced that supplementing with alpha-tocopherol alone depletes the body of the other members of the Vitamin E family. This is a problem because it is the “other” Vitamin E’s that show the most impressive benefits for improving cardiovascular health and hair regrowth.

Most alarming, is that tocotrienols are already extremely low in Western diets, while being simultaneously depleted by the ever dominating alpha-tocopherol supplementation! Tocotrienols should be first on your list of supplements!

They aren’t the only ones with a study though. The Toco-8 folks also have one…or Carotech…whichever wasn’t posted :expressionless:

I’m not taking any of these…but a bunch of other sources in this thread:

http://www.hairlossfight.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1205

»
» What do you think?

Tocotrienols should be a part of every one’s hair loss regimen.

Now, I don’t think that tocotrienols can stop hair loss or regrow hair by themselves, but they did slow down my hair loss, as well as, strengthen and thicken my hair (and nails).