Tricho vs. bht vs. ? for strip scar revision

hi everyone

i had 2 strip surgeries and a subsequent scar revision performed by (the late) Dr. Seager around a decade ago. 2 years ago i had 850 body hairs transplanted into the strip by Dr. A. My hair is very thin and the scar is relatively thick, so it remains prominent when my hair is wet and requires me to keep my hair longer than i would like in the back.

has anyone had tricho performed solely to revise a strip scar?

i believe the less invasive the procedure, the better, but i’m not sure if transplanting more body hair into the scar will be effective if those hairs can’t find adequate blood supply.

has anyone revised their strip successfully using bht or other techniques?

thanks, and i hope everyone has a happy, healthy and prosperous new year :slight_smile:

s

I was thinking about getting tricho for my strip scar too but I am worried my scalp laxity is not that good and my scar will widen again afer a few years. Have you seen the recent pics using beard hair for strip scar? It is supposed to be the best donor for scar. Jury is still out but some doctors seem to recommend this , this is like a new discovery or something.

IMO, beard hair is the future for fixing our scars.

Hair from under the chin might just be a godsend in 2008.

But, like head-hair & BHT, if you don’t have good donor hair to work with, revision might be the only option.

Happy New Year.

» hi everyone
»
» i had 2 strip surgeries and a subsequent scar revision performed by (the
» late) Dr. Seager around a decade ago. 2 years ago i had 850 body hairs
» transplanted into the strip by Dr. A. My hair is very thin and the scar is
» relatively thick, so it remains prominent when my hair is wet and requires
» me to keep my hair longer than i would like in the back.
»
» has anyone had tricho performed solely to revise a strip scar?
»
» i believe the less invasive the procedure, the better, but i’m not sure if
» transplanting more body hair into the scar will be effective if those hairs
» can’t find adequate blood supply.
»
» has anyone revised their strip successfully using bht or other
» techniques?
»
» thanks, and i hope everyone has a happy, healthy and prosperous new year
» :slight_smile:
»
» s

I haven’t seen that many tricho revision success stories. Unless your scar is huge, fue or body hair should be your first choice.

» I was thinking about getting tricho for my strip scar too but I am worried
» my scalp laxity is not that good and my scar will widen again afer a few
» years. Have you seen the recent pics using beard hair for strip scar? It
» is supposed to be the best donor for scar. Jury is still out but some
» doctors seem to recommend this , this is like a new discovery or
» something.

i haven’t seen those pics, i will look for them. my understanding is that with tricho your scar could appear “invisible” since hair is (in theory) growing out of it. i’m guessing different docs and clinics have their own tricho technique, maybe some of them are more successful than others in terms of the number of hairs that they can trap in the scar? and in terms of how much the scar stretches?

i would imagine that if you have a strip and you want to get rid of the scar, you could consider getting tricho and harvesting additional donor hairs from the scalp to transplant, but i wouldn’t get many anyhow so i wonder if excising the scar exactly at it’s edges and then closing it with a technique that minimizes stretch and keeps viable hair growing within the scar would make it easier to conceal and not visible with shorter hair?

s

i think beard hair is a good option to have, but anyone who considers getting a significant number of hairs transplanted from their face or neck should definitely get a test patch first imo, so they don’t compound their situation by seeing unsightly scars everytime they look in the mirror

of course that depends on the doctor’s technique, but also the wound healing characteristics of the individual, and i personally find my current body prone to developing scar tissue… so it looks like i might be scarred for life, well this life anyway, lol

best wishes :slight_smile:

s

Using beard hair as donor seems to be a popular topic lately.

Here are some pictures provided by Dr. Arvind on this topic.

"The following is a patient in which different parts of the strip scar was transplanted using different donor hair.

We found the part where the thicker calibre hair was transplanted had much better coverage. The grafts were transplanted and have grown in the outlined area, thus, breaking the scar. 10 beard hair were used for the purpose." - Dr. Arvind.

» I haven’t seen that many tricho revision success stories. Unless your scar
» is huge, fue or body hair should be your first choice.

my strip scar is relatively thick, i had a scar revision but it didn’t have much effect. i’m thinking the closure technique affects how much the scar stretches after the skin is excised, i just don’t know how far “technology” has advanced over the past decade

s

» Using beard hair as donor seems to be a popular topic lately.
»
» Here are some pictures provided by Dr. Arvind on this topic.
»
» “The following is a patient in which different parts of the strip scar was
» transplanted using different donor hair.
»
» We found the part where the thicker calibre hair was transplanted had much
» better coverage. The grafts were transplanted and have grown in the
» outlined area, thus, breaking the scar. 10 beard hair were used for the
» purpose.” - Dr. Arvind.
»
»

perhaps beard hair is more “robust” than hairs from other parts of the body. personally i think my pubic hair is at least as robust as my facial hair, so if i do try to transplant more hairs into the scar i’m thinking i would probably start there.

thanks David :slight_smile:

s

This one is 22 grafts, 14 months post op. Also provided by Dr. Arvind previously.

"The following pictures show the growth and appearance of the beard grafts in the scar.

11 grafts were planted on each side of the strip scar. 11 beard hair grafts grew in each side.

The following picture shows what it looks like if even a few scalp hair is mixed with the beard hair.

The donor area from where the grafts were extracted in August 2006.

Regards,
Dr. A "

These are the BEFORE shots and discussions.

"In Aug 2006, among other things, we transplanted beard hair in 2 identifiable points of his worst scar.

The scar was result of flap surgery followed by numerous strip excisions.
He is a white Caucasian from N. America.

His beard hair has a thicker calibre than the scalp hair. The beard hair is also more black while the scalp is dark brown in color." - Dr. Arvind

22 untrimmed beard grafts.

Recipient area slits

Graft placement

Donor area immediately post extraction.

Video of the growth of beard hair in strip scar, also provided by Dr. Arvind.
222_file6.wmv

Wait for some time. See more beard hair results. From what Dr. A has posted, they seem to be the best bet for scars.