Transplant gives new scalp with hair to burned firefighter

Transplant gives new scalp [with hair!] to burned firefighter: http://news.yahoo.com/transplant-gives-face-scalp-burned-firefighter-153049655.html

Aside from the risk of dying–a risk I’d gladly take to have hair again–what are the downsides if you survive, do you have to endure nasty side effects from anti-rejection drugs for the rest of your life?

If your going to burn your hair and face off in order to get this same transplant, make sure you do it while performing a heroic action, otherwise you will be unlikely to be chosen as a candidate for this type of surgery. If you see a house on fire, pour gas on your head and rush in looking for who is inside.

I once seriously thought of burning my scalp to scar it, so that I would have a socially acceptable reason for wearing a hairpiece.

The main thing that stopped me from doing it, was the thought that if hair loss might one day be reversed, I would need my scalp with its dormant hair follicles for such a future therapy to work.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by Ahab[/postedby]
I once seriously thought of burning my scalp to scar it, so that I would have a socially acceptable reason for wearing a hairpiece.

The main thing that stopped me from doing it, was the thought that if hair loss might one day be reversed, I would need my scalp with its dormant hair follicles for such a future therapy to work.[/quote]

You should have gone for it dude.