Home | News | Find a Doctor | Ask a Question | Free

Topical Fin vs oral Fin

Hello guys.

It’s been a long time since I posted on this forum. I am still currently doing well: stabilized Norwood 2 with an all out regimen including 1/2 proscar, 1000mg of nettle root (this one makes a big difference from proscar on its own), green tea, multivit, additional vitC (1g), vitE (800 i.u), gingko biloba, paba (1g), brewer’s yeast (1g), maca (1.5g, making a big difference as well), additional biotin (5mg). Topically: essential oils daily, 15% minox twice a day, revivogen twice a day (good one as well), coco oil and amla oil prior to shampooing once a week.

I am just contemplating switching (at least partly) to topical fin. Dr Klein’s promox has 0.1% fin. Since I would have 2ml a day, that would make 2mg of finasteride per topical route daily. How can this compare with the 2.5 mg of oral fin I take? To what extent can I consider replacing one with the other? Any idea? Any experience?

I would like to eliminate, as much as possible, the sexual sides of oral fin that I’ve been having since the beginning.

Thank you.

Unfortunately the general finding is that topical Fin is worth very little, at least in terms of limiting sexual sides.

The stuff goes into your skin & affects your hair follicles just fine. But it also goes into the rest of your system almost as effectively as if you’s swallowed the pill.

OK. Thank you cal. By the way, what about the alleged enhancement of efficiency of promox compared with remox?

I can’t really answer that one.

» OK. Thank you cal. By the way, what about the alleged enhancement of
» efficiency of promox compared with remox?

There might be some truth to topical finas. I used topical dutas before and I was seeing a slow down in hair loss, although I wasn’t sure if I used it correctly since all I did was to puncture the Avodart gel cap and apply the gel directly onto my scalp.

I was under the impression that the sexual sides AREN’T encountered if using fin topically. Not being argumentative here - just that info on topical fin is all over the place.

Anyone else other than cal have some info/suggestions.

» Unfortunately the general finding is that topical Fin is worth very little,
» at least in terms of limiting sexual sides.
»
» The stuff goes into your skin & affects your hair follicles just fine.
» But it also goes into the rest of your system almost as effectively as if
» you’s swallowed the pill.

actually not all of it will go into your skin, I’m pretty sure a part of that is washed away, that’s why I suppose it has reduced effect, as well as less influence on your sexual life. I suppose the oral one will be the best choice if you want to stop your hair-loss

brm,

What brand of 15% minox are you using and where do you order from?

Have 2 friends that have been using 1mg oral fin 5 years with slight side effects. Last 4 years they switched to topical fin as a replacement twice a day and have had a good response to it. No reported side effects. You have to remember that fin is dose dependent not everyone reacts the same. You can use as little as half a propecia pill or as brm 2.5 mg finasteride to see results. Not everyones hairloss is the same.