Topical antibiotics

Ok, my latest hypothesis :slight_smile:

I have noticed that one guy reported cesation of hair loss when he was put on doxycycline which is an antibiotic.

His daily hair loss has drastically reduced.

Now, lets say that the guys who say that balding is organ rejection are right (and well, everything suggests that they really are right).

That would mean that the cells in our balding follicles produce antigens of some sort.

It can be the DHT that when it enters the nukleus of the balding cell, kinda triggers this reaction. But then. Why would we all not go bald immediately in puberty?

Ok, so how about bacterial antigens? These are substances produced by bacteria that have antigenic activity. This kind of bacteria can live only where it is far safe enough from our immune systems or at least this is how I understand it. Could it be that the follicles get infiltrated with some sort of bacteria who over the time, build their collonies in the sebum stuffed follicles and dermal pappilas? (I dont wanna start with demodex here:))

Now if you think about it. We know that hair loss is kinda linked with acne. Many anti acne treatments work for hair loss (retin-a is a nice example).

One known aspect of acne is that the increased androgens in your skin cause loads of sebum and that makes Propionibacterium acnes bacteria to collonize your pores, cause inflamation and acne. I have not studiet this much so I dunno if this bacteria can feed on androgens on its own or if there is much stronger link like that.

Topical antibiotics are used to treat acne. In fact, particularly the Doxycycline is used to treat acne as well.

So what do you think guys? Could it be that our bald follicles are stuck bald just because their sebaceous glands got infiltrated by bacteria colonies which then spread into the dermal papilla and triggered there immune reaction?

Ha these guys think the same!

http://www.lipoxidil.com/site/microinflammation.php

» Ok, my latest hypothesis :slight_smile:
»
» I have noticed that one guy reported cesation of hair loss when he
» was put on tetracycline like antibiotics.
»
» His daily hair loss has drastically reduced.
»
» Now, lets say that the guys who say that balding is organ rejection are
» right (and well, everything suggests that they really are right).
»
» That would mean that the cells in our balding follicles produce antigens
» of some sort.
»
» It can be the DHT that when it enters the nukleus of the balding cell,
» kinda triggers this reaction. But then. Why would we all not go bald
» immediately in puberty?
»
» Ok, so how about bacterial antigens? Could it be that the follicles get
» infiltrated with some sort of bacteria (I dont wanna start with demodex
» here:))

Then, what about the hair loss pattern ? It’s just because of the pattern that all these theories have been refused

» Now if you think about it. We know that hair loss is kinda linked with
» acne. Many anti acne treatments work for hair loss.
»
» One known aspect of acne is that the increased androgens in your skin
» cause loads of sebum and that makes Propionibacterium acnes bacteria to
» collonize your pores, cause inflamation and acne. I have not studiet this
» much so I dunno if this bacteria can feed on androgens on its own or if
» there is much stronger link like that.
»
» Topical antibiotics are used to treat acne.
»
» So what do you think guys? Could it be that our bald follicles are stuck
» bald just because their sebaceous glands got infiltrated by bacteria
» colonies which then spread into the dermal papilla and triggered there
» immune reaction?

No :wink:

The bacteria needs androgen / sebum to flourish. What is different on your balding scalp is that it has more androgen receptors more DHT binds to it, and that triggers some reaction.

I would not be suprised if that reaction did cause sebum production in the follicle or produced something that the bacteria could feed on. Sebum is androgen triggered.

Why the hell otherwise antibiotics would help acne and hairloss?

Acne is caused by the effects of hormones on the pilosebaceous unit, consisting of a hair follicle, sebaceous gland, and a hair. The follicle becomes obstructed and an overgrowth of a normal skin bacteria, Propionibacterium acnes, causes destruction of the lining of the follicle. This process allows follicular material to enter the dermis, causing an inflammatory response. For a more detailed description of this process, see What Causes Acne?

we all know that balding and inflamation come together.

» The bacteria needs androgen / sebum to flourish. What is different on your
» balding scalp is that it has more androgen receptors more DHT binds to it,
» and that triggers some reaction.
»
» I would not be suprised if that reaction did cause sebum production in the
» follicle or produced something that the bacteria could feed on. Sebum is
» androgen triggered.
»
» Why the hell otherwise antibiotics would help acne and hairloss?

One thing I want to stress is the importance of topical application.

Prolonged antibiotics taken orraly can kill your intestinal bacteria, which breaks down food into many important things for hair growth (for example biotin)

Debris,

Your theory sounds fair enough to me…Bryan Shelton posted once in HLH a French paper going in the same direction…I think this deserves a shot (Topical antibiotics trial)…are you considering this Debris ? I might do it.

I know this has been discussed in the past on other hairloss sites (maybe this one too. I don’t remember). But there has been some evidence that Roxithromycin might help with hairloss. However the mechanism may be other than because it is an antibiotic.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00197379?order=8

» Debris,
»
» Your theory sounds fair enough to me…Bryan Shelton posted once in HLH a
» French paper going in the same direction…I think this deserves a shot
» (Topical antibiotics trial)…are you considering this Debris ? I might do
» it.

I am considering this. Not all antibiotics are equal though so I would probably try topical doxycycline.

It probably is also important to do it thoroughly. The same way as you do any other antibiotic shots, if you dont take it regularly or finish the course. you may end up with doxycycline resistant bacteria?

It can also be that the immune system driven damage to the follicle is permanent … and I do expect this to be true … in that case this would once again work only on thinning areas.

Anyway still thinking …

» I know this has been discussed in the past on other hairloss sites (maybe
» this one too. I don’t remember). But there has been some evidence that
» Roxithromycin might help with hairloss. However the mechanism may be other
» than because it is an antibiotic.
»
» CTG Labs - NCBI

interesting …

» I know this has been discussed in the past on other hairloss sites (maybe
» this one too. I don’t remember). But there has been some evidence that
» Roxithromycin might help with hairloss. However the mechanism may be other
» than because it is an antibiotic.
»
» CTG Labs - NCBI

Very low quality pictures are near the end of this patent:

I guess these are 6 month 3 month and before pictures.

There was one guy who ordered topical Roxithromycin from www.lipoxidil.com last year, before they withdrew it.

He said it was the best hairloss treatment he had ever used but ran out of his supply and tried to re-order. He was told that they had to withdraw it.

Here is the topical Roxithromycin study for hairloss, which was also the reason Lipoxidil sold it.

EHRS 12th Annual Meeting - 29 Jun 06 / 01 Jul 06

Hair Restoration and Anti-Gray Hair Effects
by Topical Roxithromycin
T. Ito, N. Ito, N. Seo, H. Yagi, H. Hashizume
Masahiro Takigawa Dermatology, Hamamatsu University
School of Medicine, Hamamatsu, Japan

There are still few effective topical substances for androgenetic alopecia (AGA). In this study, we found that roxithromycin (RXM)
has anti-apoptotic and anti-gray hair effects on AGA in vitro, and indeed, clinically improved or prevented hair loss of AGA. RXM is a
14-member new macrolide antibiotic and has been extensively used for prevention and treatment of systemic and local infection.

In addition, recent studies revealed RXM also has various modulatory bioactivities to many kinds of cells, such as Langerhans cells, keratinocytes and T cells. Human hair follicles, obtained from plastic surgery with informed consent, were cultured for 6 days. In the control group, hair elongation was 1.96 a 0.19 mm. On the other hand, it was 3.4 a 0.20 mm and 3.32 a 0.19 mm in 5 M RXM and 10 M RXM treated group, respectively in vitro. The groups treated with 5 M CLM (2.17 a 0.13 mm), 10 M (1.93 a 0.18 mm), 5 M EM (2.85 a 0.13 mm), 10 M EM (2.05 a 0.19 mm) showed no significant hair elongation compared with the control group

Next, 11 male individuals suffering from AGA topically applied 8 ml RXM at 0.5% in alcoholic solution once a day for 6 months with informed consent.

Photographs were then scored, 4 patients apparently showed improvement of hair restoration, 4 patients were more than slight improvement, and 3 patients were no improvement. Topical RXM used under these conditions was safe without any local and systemic adverse effects.

The beneficial effects of RXM seem to result from prevention of apoptosis of matrix cells and melanocytes in human hair follicles.

Some people have tried breaking up roxithromycin tablets and combining with a topical.

Personally, i don’t like that idea.

One of the most powerful NATURAL anti-biotics know to man is supposed to be Oil of Organo due to its carvacrol content.

“It is critical when using oregano essential oil to be sure that its primary component is carvacrol and not thymol .Thyme oil can be toxic; using it can lead to serious side effects and, in some cases, even cause death.”

YOU MUST GET THE PROPER RESEARCH GRADE CARVACROL RICH TYPE.
THYME RICH IS VERY TOXIC.

Not only is it a very strong anti-biotic, but it is also antiviral, antifungal, antiparasitic (ie Demodex et al)), antiseptic, strong analgesic and antirheumatic agent.

“Provided that the oregano essential oil being used is authentic and high grade, there is a great deal of scientific evidence to support its medicinal properties. Indeed, several studies have shown that oregano essential oil can inhibit or destroy many strains of bacteria, fungi, and parasites.”

ANTI-BACTERIAL
“Oregano essential oil was found to have significant antibacterial action against a wide number of bacteria including E coli, Staph, Salmonella enterica, and Klebsiella pneumonie, which is a pneumonia that frequently occurs in people with a weakened immune system. The following year, the Journal of Applied Microbiology published a study by Scottish researchers that showed oregano essential oil to be effective against 25 different bacteria. Other studies, such as the one done by researchers at the University of Tennessee in 2001, also showed oregano essential oil to have powerful antibacterial properties.”

ANTI-FUNGAL
“Research published in the International Journal of Food Microbiology in 1988 found oil of oregano to be an excellent antifungal, completely inhibiting the growth of the nine fungi tested. Since that time, numerous research studies have been published that repeatedly show the ability of oregano essential oil to kill yeast, including Candida albicans. In 2002, oregano essential oil was put to the test in an interesting study by researchers in Yugoslavia and the results were published in Nahrung. Among the 13 fungi tested were food poisoning, plant, animal, and human pathogenic species. Oregano essential oil high in carvacrol possessed the best and broadest antifungal properties.”

PARASITES
“A small clinical trial published in 2000 examined the effects of oregano oil in adults with intestinal parasites. Of the 14 adult participants, 11 tested positive for the intestinal parasite, Blastocystis hominis, which is known to cause diarrhea, anal itching, and weight loss. The 11 test-positive participants took 600 mg of emulsified oregano essential oil daily for six weeks. Eight were completely free of the parasite and the remaining three participants had a reduction in parasitic presence and symptoms.”

Source:Answers - The Most Trusted Place for Answering Life's Questions

Oil of Oregano is perhaps the most powerful herbal anti-fungal agent known. In fact, oregano is such a potent anti-fungal agent that it is capable of destroying even resistant fungal forms such as mutated fungi resulting from antibiotic therapy.

Oil of Oregano is an excellent antibacterial agent. Its volatile oils are highly active against the majority of pathogenic bacteria, including staph, strep and E. coli. Research shows that Oil of Oregano is also a potent antiseptic that is highly effective in killing a wide range of fungi, yeast and bacteria as well as parasites, especially Giardia, and viruses.

Oil of Oregano is a powerful pain killer. An article published in Phytotherapy Research describes how Oil of Oregano superceded anti-inflammatory drugs in reversing pain and inflammation and is nearly as powerful as morphine as a pain killer. Oil of Oregano is also a powerful antioxidant. Furthermore, the oil improves digestion by stimulating the flow of bile.

Source:http://www.longevita.com/Detail.asp?ProductID=110

Damn. I’m more and more interested :slight_smile:

Somebody has been good enough to convert Dr Ingrams (one of the Worlds leading experts on Oil of Oregano) book “The Wrinkle Free Zone” into PDF form on the internet.

“The Wrinkle Free Zone”, Page 89

Oil of Oregano has been proven effective in killing the mites that cause Rosacea. Dr Ingrams studies have shown that the high potency form of Oil of Oregano is the most effective at killing the skin mite DEMODEX to significantly improve the skins condition in most instances.

Here is the book:

Here is Dr Cass Ingrams website, one of the Worlds leading experts on Oil of Oregano. He has written a book about it and , most importantly, he has the correct CARVACROL RICH “Oil of Oregano” products on his website that have been researched and tested by Georgetown University and other research facilities.

He recommends the Oil of Oregano products from The Original Wild Oregano Company

Oil of Oregano research

“Oil of oregano is antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiparasitic.”

Ketoconazole is antifungal as well.

“Oil of Oregano is a powerful pain killer. An article published in Phytotherapy Research describes how Oil of Oregano superceded anti-inflammatory drugs in reversing pain and inflammation and is nearly as powerful as morphine as a pain killer.”

Do you remember the studies that said that blocking the pain transmiters grows hair?

http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=36805&mode=full&page=6

this guy was using it for 4 months and noticed nothing cosmetically significant.

Have you been considering trying it before?

or Have you tried already?

and here are the posts i was referring to from HLH:

Itchy&Scratchy
Prolific Poster
Friday April 06, 2007 4:54 PM

Things were starting to look up. I added Lipoxidils Roxisome product to my extensive regime using it liberally but just once per day over a forth month span. My hair looks much better overall today. Vertex vastly improved. Right horse shoe obviously filled in somewhat, left not as much. But I regrew hair and improved quality of existing! Ive had an uncanny ability to figure out which products were going to work for me and very often they have. So why am I fired up? Lipoxidil no longer makes/sells this Roxithromycin .05% product. I found on their site that they had to stop selling a lot of their products because the FDA is putting pressure on them because they say their products help hair loss and its not all proven. So they had to stop selling even as cosmetics! You guys better watch out. The FDA ruined my 2006 by basically forcing Ancientway to stop selling hair loss products that claimed to help with hair growth…even though they did and there were no complaints against them!!!

Now the FDA has ruined my 07’ by stopping the sale of Roxithromcin products, even though they grow hair!!! Think of all the bogus hair products that continue to florish but yet the FDA has somehow found the sites selling actual legitimate hair benifiting product sites and is starting to shut them down. Why is the Republican driven FDA doing this? Who is this benifitting? What is their agenada here?

I thought they were suppossed to protect us from illness not cause it. These were all topical products with zero known side effects, unless you count hair growth. Well there goes my life again! I cant take much more of this. Everytime I think Im back on track the FDA sticks a knife in my side. We have actually reached a point in fighting hairloss where we are going backwards. What`s next? Minoxidil? This can cause heart palps! Finasteride…can cause gyno. Watch out!

Itchy&Scratchy
Prolific Poster
Saturday December 08, 2007 9:52 PM

Poet.
Heres the deal. 0.5% Roxithromycin lotion is a flat out great product for hair loss! I also love the fact that it's hitting the problem in an additional way then other products. I purchased a couple of bottles from Lipoxidil and was at month 4 and my hair was already starting to look really good again. ( Note: I do use a boat load of additional products but none were added within a year of that 4 mont period). Then when I went to reorder, I found that Lipoxidil no longer sold this due to fears of the FDA cracking down since its not drug approved in this country.

What amazes me is that Roxithromycin is approved in most countries as an internal anti biotic with no real adverse reaction but we can’t use it here as a topical? I tried to get my dermatologist to have it made up for me when I didnt know Roxy was not an FDA approved drug. He could not believe how good my hair looked and commented so. He looked up the drug in his book but couldnt find it and he said it must not be an FDA approved drug. He told me not to worry about it though because if it really worked, he would have heard about it certainly.

Now, several months removed from Roxy, Im going through a nice shed and itchy scalp. If anyone is able to score a pipeline to this Ill pay top dollar. I did notice you can order the tablets via overseas pharmacy but for some reason that scares me, like Ill end up in jail or something and then Id really go bald. I don`t think they let you bring your products into the slammer.