Title: Shapiro Medical -Example of older work from 10-12 yrs ago

3 Session of 2000+gr = 6156 grafts/13,944 hairs total done between 1997-1999 - Dr. Ron Shapiro

One of our older patients who we have not seen for 10 years came by this week for a check up. We thought it would be interesting to share the results of his work done at SMG 10-12 years ago to show the longevity of his results as well as the quality of our work 10 -12 years ago. The patient had 3 sessons of ~2000 grafts between 1997 and 1999. In 1997 2000 grafts was considered a fairly large megasession. Today it is somewhat on the smaller side. However, do you think the 3 procedure done a decade ago has stood the test of time? He is completely happy and does not feel he needs any more work. What he received is age appropriate and he’s thankful Dr. Shapiro had the foresight to plan ahead into the future - even way back when.

As you can see by the “before” picture quality, the pictures itself look ancient and were not intended for showcasing as a before/after result online. The HT forums were in its infancy and the pictures were taken for patient’s and doctor’s benefit only. Of course the quality of the cameras, showing results online, and ht techniques have evolved for the better.

Take Care,
Jason

Thanks for posting these B Spot. This is a very unique and beneficial post showing results over a long time period which we don’t usually get to see on these forums. If this was a before and one year after comparison I’d be impressed but given that it’s ten years post op I’m very impressed! Do you happen to have any earlier photos showing results say 6 months to a year post op? You mentioned you had not seen the patient in ten years and with the lack of digital cameras and broadbank in the late 90s I would imagine the answer to that would be no but I thought I’d ask. The patient must be very pleased to still have great hair for his age and for it to still look natural after so long.

» Thanks for posting these B Spot. This is a very unique and beneficial post
» showing results over a long time period which we don’t usually get to see
» on these forums. If this was a before and one year after comparison I’d be
» impressed but given that it’s ten years post op I’m very impressed! Do you
» happen to have any earlier photos showing results say 6 months to a year
» post op? You mentioned you had not seen the patient in ten years and with
» the lack of digital cameras and broadbank in the late 90s I would imagine
» the answer to that would be no but I thought I’d ask. The patient must be
» very pleased to still have great hair for his age and for it to still look
» natural after so long.
Fantastic! This gentleman must be very happy…

Thanks for the comments guys----I read on another forum some patients asking about work that was more than 1-2 years old—asking to see work that is 4-5 years old or more.

This was a local patient who we did “mega-sessions” of 2000 grafts per session on in the late 90’s when Dr. Shapiro was one of the few docs doing refined work, microscopically dissected, and building the natural hairline and transition zone that really defines Dr. Shapiro’s work.

We don’t have any pics other than these-- They didn’t really understand the art of taking photos and taking non-deceptive photos—you can see the difference in the side by side pics! I think we have Jotronics from H&W to thank for ushering in the demand for excellent before and afters.

I am hopeful that our new website will finally be completed very soon–you guys will love the HD videos and pics and the interaction on the new site. It will showcase what our patients see in our offices, but not on the forums or on the current website.

Anyway, I think this is a great example of excellent work that stands up to time—It is reassuring and comforting to know that properly transplanted grafts and properly managed donor region, in the hands of a top clinic will stand the test of time.

Take Care,
Jason

Thats cool, I don’t think anybody has ever posted pics that old of HT work unless it was for some type of repair. The work still olds up and looks very natural. Thank you for sharing those pics with us Jason.

This is very interesting, so he kept his hair all these years or did it thin out a little?

I would like to see more results that are many years after the surgery.

I say this is a success story for someone to be able to keep his hair transplant for 10 years without having to get repair work or add more density. Is he on Propecia or any medications for the past 10 years?

» I say this is a success story for someone to be able to keep his hair
» transplant for 10 years without having to get repair work or add more
» density. Is he on Propecia or any medications for the past 10 years?

I do not believe this patient is on any medication or uses any topicals.
I believe he reached an age where his hairloss was simply stopped.

Cheers!
Jason

» » I say this is a success story for someone to be able to keep his hair
» » transplant for 10 years without having to get repair work or add more
» » density. Is he on Propecia or any medications for the past 10 years?
»
» I do not believe this patient is on any medication or uses any topicals.
» I believe he reached an age where his hairloss was simply stopped.
»
» Cheers!
» Jason

No offence but I don’t know anyone whose hair loss stopped simply because he reached a certain age.

» No offence but I don’t know anyone whose hair loss stopped simply because
» he reached a certain age.

Sorry, wrong wording—the patient has not experienced any visible/real loss (outside of his loss of the male pattern) since his HT. I believe he has reached the point in his hairloss that he will likely retain most of the native hair he currently has.

Take Care,
Jason

» » » I say this is a success story for someone to be able to keep his hair
» » » transplant for 10 years without having to get repair work or add more
» » » density. Is he on Propecia or any medications for the past 10 years?
» »
» » I do not believe this patient is on any medication or uses any topicals.
»
» » I believe he reached an age where his hairloss was simply stopped.
» »
» » Cheers!
» » Jason
»
» No offence but I don’t know anyone whose hair loss stopped simply because
» he reached a certain age.

I agree, hair loss never completely stops as we get older (unless you are already bald). Did you take any pics of the donor? I wonder if the donor remains the same in 10 years

Yeah, I am glad he kept his hair all these years but equally important is what his donor scar looks like after 10 years? did it stretch ? Any pics of the donor?

» Yeah, I am glad he kept his hair all these years but equally important is
» what his donor scar looks like after 10 years? did it stretch ? Any pics
» of the donor?

good question.

I will see if we have some donor area shots.

I do not believe his scarring was ever an issue—but it would be nice to see the donor area 10+ years later.

Take Care,
Jason

» I will see if we have some donor area shots.
»
» I do not believe his scarring was ever an issue—but it would be nice to
» see the donor area 10+ years later.
»
» Take Care,
» Jason

Definitely, I think doctors should start posting more 10+ years donor so that ppl know what to expect with the donor a decade later.