Home | News | Find a Doctor | Ask a Question | Free

This Lab-Grown Skin Grows Hair

Looks promising but they say human trials within next 10 years. Wish they’d speed that up.

This Lab-Grown Skin Grows Hair

It’s also on BBCNews:

(And - surprise, surprise - it’s “5-10 years away”…)

In other words, they don’t have a clue how to make this happen on a human scalp!

I think this is a step forward - but a small one as it is still on freaking mice :expressionless:

If everything went fantastically from here there is still so much work to do and so many legal obstacles to overcome that I’d be surprised if they could deliver anything before 2030 :frowning:

Impressive, and I admire them for their cutting-edge research, but in many ways this is equivalent to regrowing fingers and arms on a person. The skin, together with all its functioning mini-organs (hair follicles, sweat glands, sebaceous glands, blood vessels), is an organ or even an entire organ system (called the “integumentary system” by scientists). Regenerating the entire system will be incredibly complicated. Yes, I think it will take up to 10 years to accomplish this and be able to sell it to the public.

Here’s another recent article-if they can get stem cells to regenerate tissue, why not skin with hair? here’s hoping…

Humans could get salamander-like tissue regeneration abilities in “a few years”