Thinking about HT Surgery

I am thinking of getting the surgery I am 25 been on propecia for almost a year hasn’t done anything. I still have thick hair overall just a thin patch above my hairline. Its apparently a rare hairloss pattern since my hairline is super thick its just a spot behind it, apprently its a female pattern. The doctor isn’t pushing me to do surgery and hes rated a top doctor on the East Coast,I’m in the US. There;s a background on him and how some patients have flows across the world to see him and how many of his pateience and him remain friends after surgery. The doctor wasn’t pushy or calm and he even told me to wait 6 more months.

I grew my hair out longer for the time being because this keeps it virtually undetectable. He told me my baldness won’t stop until I reach a pattern probably a 5-6. I can’t fly around the world for a surgery should I let him to it or hold off. He told me that it it strip but there should be virtually no scar and I would be about to cut my hair short in the back if need be, but I probably won’t since I;m not a teenager anymore which i have come to realize. I really want some other doctors opinions. I won’t post his name because I don’t know if I am allowed to do so.

Hi Tile guy,

It’s good that you are on meds, especially if you have been told that you may advance to a NW5-6. Meds can sl;ow that down dramitcally and even prevent that from happening.

The one statement that stuck out to me was that you were told strip does not leave any scaring. Below is a photo of my strip scar, and that is considered a GOOD strip scar. What you see below is the least amount of scarring you will see from a strip surgery.

Hey pat,

How come you have your head shaved like that? I am still a hairloss rookie. He told me the propecia helps with shock to your other hairs when you have the surgery. He also told me that I will continue to loose hair except the hairs that get transfered, he stressed it to me until I fall into a category. I am to receive 1,200 grafts. He said you may be content with one surgery he told me I may need another and even a 3rd but I can wait a few years. He told me that since I am likely to be a 5 to get the most of it and I may end up with a chip shot in the back of my head but 90% of men end up with one.

Anyone else have the crazy female pattern that I have? kinda like a christmas tree.

The scar is from my first procedure which was strip, you will have one too. I am not saying its the worst thing in the world, you should just be totally aware of the fact that you will have one afterwards. My head was shaved like that for my 2nd procedure.

Read and researhc on these boards for the next 2-3 month, go thru some old threads. If you spend the time here you can go from a hairloss rookie to being very educated in a short period of time.

Yeah how close can you take the sides without seeing the scar? Can you do a 3? just wondering, i have my sides the longest they have been ever i usually went 3 on sides and the barber cut my top short. Now I am keep it longer since longer hair is in style now. I am reading and reading and reading. I just don’t want to regret anything.

» Yeah how close can you take the sides without seeing the scar? Can you do a
» 3? just wondering, i have my sides the longest they have been ever i
» usually went 3 on sides and the barber cut my top short. Now I am keep it
» longer since longer hair is in style now. I am reading and reading and
» reading. I just don’t want to regret anything.
I wouldnt go strip. Pats should know as hes had both strip and fue. These days there is not a great difference in price anyway, so why would you do that to the back of your head and risk complications.
I relate strip as being more like surgery and fue to be more like going to the dentist and getting your tooth drilled. Which would you prefer. The recovery is much quicker, side effects are alot less, and youll atleast have the choice to wear your hair short if you choose to. Plus know when you are at the hair salon, relax knowing they probably have no idea youve had work done, unlike strip.
Just my 2 cents.
Good Luck with what ever you decide.

I really think that with the almost similar prices now - FUE is the way forward, as I have stated before - I have no regrets with my strip but if FUE was more avaliable when I had my procedure, I would have opted with that.

Dan

» I really think that with the almost similar prices now - FUE is the way
» forward, as I have stated before - I have no regrets with my strip but if
» FUE was more avaliable when I had my procedure, I would have opted with
» that.
»
» Dan

I agree with Dan, FUE is really the way to go now.

Check out the topic that the new member Man of Mystery wrote gave about his HT experience. Its a long read, but worth it. The topic is called MY Epic Story.

If you can post some pics of your situation it would be helpful.

» » Yeah how close can you take the sides without seeing the scar? Can you do
» a
» » 3? just wondering, i have my sides the longest they have been ever i
» » usually went 3 on sides and the barber cut my top short. Now I am keep
» it
» » longer since longer hair is in style now. I am reading and reading and
» » reading. I just don’t want to regret anything.
» I wouldnt go strip. Pats should know as hes had both strip and fue.
» These days there is not a great difference in price anyway, so why would
» you do that to the back of your head and risk complications.
» I relate strip as being more like surgery and fue to be more like going to
» the dentist and getting your tooth drilled. Which would you prefer. The
» recovery is much quicker, side effects are alot less, and youll atleast
» have the choice to wear your hair short if you choose to. Plus know when
» you are at the hair salon, relax knowing they probably have no idea youve
» had work done, unlike strip.
» Just my 2 cents.
» Good Luck with what ever you decide.

I may wait, my sister thinks my hairs fine, its thick now that i grew it out. With Fue i guess I’d have to goto New York to do it armani has an office up there im on the east coast.

heres a couple

I am gonna cancel the surgery wait till i can save some more $$$ maybe for] fue. This site won’t let me upload I select my jpg and it says invalid file. Its pissing me off ill try later.

»
» I may wait, my sister thinks my hairs fine, its thick now that i grew it
» out. With Fue i guess I’d have to goto New York to do it armani has an
» office up there im on the east coast.

Dr. Armani’s clinic is located in Toronto. That is where he performs surgeries. He does offer in person consultations in Toronto or you can have an online consultation if you submit photos.

AM I NUTS?

My advice would be, read on this board, get educated about what can be done for how many grafts, decide if you want Strip or FUE, choose 2-3 of the top clinics in the method you choose and submitt your photos for an evaluation. That will go a long way in developing a plan for you. Best of luck Tileguy :slight_smile:

» I wouldnt go strip. Pats should know as hes had both strip and fue.

Pats strip results were better than his FUE (at least with the pics he has provided). I’m not an advocate of strip, but the yield in FUE seems more hit and miss.

Pats can prove me wrong if we wants to show updated pics of his crown.

Hey Tileguy,

I personally preferred to go with FUE instead of strip for the simple fact that it didn’t leave a scar. I checked on many websites about hair loss and could not find any conclusive information that stated that strip yielded better results. In my opinion I thought it was better unless I missed some information.
Let us know what happens.

Gabriel

» I am thinking of getting the surgery I am 25 been on propecia for almost a
» year hasn’t done anything. I still have thick hair overall just a thin
» patch above my hairline. Its apparently a rare hairloss pattern since my
» hairline is super thick its just a spot behind it, apprently its a female
» pattern. The doctor isn’t pushing me to do surgery and hes rated a top
» doctor on the East Coast,I’m in the US. There;s a background on him and how
» some patients have flows across the world to see him and how many of his
» pateience and him remain friends after surgery. The doctor wasn’t pushy or
» calm and he even told me to wait 6 more months.
»
» I grew my hair out longer for the time being because this keeps it
» virtually undetectable. He told me my baldness won’t stop until I reach a
» pattern probably a 5-6. I can’t fly around the world for a surgery should I
» let him to it or hold off. He told me that it it strip but there should be
» virtually no scar and I would be about to cut my hair short in the back if
» need be, but I probably won’t since I;m not a teenager anymore which i have
» come to realize. I really want some other doctors opinions. I won’t post
» his name because I don’t know if I am allowed to do so.

Tile guy,

There are so many considerations to make before having any HT work done. Ask yourself if you would still proceed with a hair transplant if you knew for certain that you would have to spend a very large amount of money to chase your hair loss as it progresses through the years. Many patients who come to us after having multiple procedures tell us that they would have simply worn a shaved hair style had they known that their procedures would need to be corrected or performed over several sessions. Some patients can pull off the totally shaved hair style, but others can only move forward with restoring their recession. Once you move forward with a procedure, you may risk not being able to shave your head down to a “buzz” without showing any sign of donor harvesting. All surgical procedures can result in some scarring because as cutting of skin can produce a scar. Non-strip methods typically produce less noticeable traces of harvesting in the donor area. If you must have a procedure performed, only choose a conservative amount of grafts to be transplanted and understand all side-effects beforehand. The clinic that you choose should have good results in both the donor and recipient area. The price of the procedure doesn’t dictate the quality so be careful of extremely expensive and extremely cheap pricing. It will be worth the wait if you need to do more studying or pull together additional finances for a quality procedure.