The goal for Follica

I posted this in the middle of another thread, but it seemed to get lost in there:
So is the hope for Acell that it will provide us with unlimited donor hair for HT’s? I’m not knowledgable about HT’s; when they are done, do they leave hairless patches/scars where the procedure was done, thus limiting the ability of someone to get multiple HT’s?

Yes, ALL procedures leave some scarring - whether it be strip or FUE. You can only have so many strip surgeries due usually to scalp laxity. Common sense tells us that you can only remove so much donor hair, via FUE, before the scalp looks “moth-eaten”. It is said that ROUGHLY 50% of the hair can be lost before “hair loss” becomes apparent to the casual observer. Moderately bald to severely bald guys don’t really stand a chance to look “normal” in the end. HT’s are exceptional for those lower on the Norwood Scale because more than enough donor hair can be harvested without a detrimental effect on appearance.

» I posted this in the middle of another thread, but it seemed to get lost in
» there:
» So is the hope for Acell that it will provide us with unlimited donor hair
» for HT’s? I’m not knowledgable about HT’s; when they are done, do they
» leave hairless patches/scars where the procedure was done, thus limiting
» the ability of someone to get multiple HT’s?

Sorry, the title of this post should be THE GOAL FOR ACELL.

Hair transplants (as we know them now) cannot ever create one single new hair. Whatever is added to the recipient area must be permanently subtracted from the donor area.

A “hair” transplant is really more of a skin transplant. They just transplant little bits of scalp skin from the back without heavily damaging the hair follicles that were on them. The HT industry likes avoid talking about the nitty gritty mechanics of this work until you’re closer to being sold on getting the work done, for fear of putting you off about doing it. (Hey, it’s a very shady business.)

Once the donor-area skin is transplanted to the front of your head, the hair follicles keep growing (and keep on following their genetic instructions for the back of the head, so they still don’t go bald) in the new location.

» So is the hope for Acell that it will provide us with unlimited donor hair
» for HT’s?

Maybe it would be practical with FUE. Not sure. The graft holes are very small, and you’d have to direct the pixie dust to all those scattered holes (maybe you could make a cream). For strip, it’s hard to imagine leaving that big of a wound open on the back of your scalp…you’d probably bleed out before you healed, and/or get an infection, and be in much pain (not to mention you’d look ghoulish).

I pictured ACELL as part of a Follica-like procedure, where the pixie dust replaces the EGF inhibitors as the primary stimulus for generating new hair follicles after injury. In other words, wound the scalp, and let ACELL generate new skin and hair follicles over the wounded area.

I never seem to have much luck stirring up other people’s enthusiasm for this idea, but I personally think Acell has a good chance of regenerating hairs with dermabrasion wounds.

If dermabrasion is a deep enough wound to start the process with one chemical then I suspect it’s gonna be enough to start it with another one too. If anything, the Acell chemical seems even MORE willing to spur repair/regrowth of existing tissues than Follica’s stuff is.

Give it a year or two and we’ll know A LOT more. We still probably won’t have anything new on the market for commercial use by then, but a lot of testing will have progressed and we’ll know some more things that we don’t know yet.

Why a year or two? Acell is supposed to be released for human use later this year. I would imagine that once it is released for human use, a doctor can use it for any purpose they choose. Am I wrong about this?

» Why a year or two? Acell is supposed to be released for human use later
» this year. I would imagine that once it is released for human use, a
» doctor can use it for any purpose they choose. Am I wrong about this?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>accurately… the people of this site say things that I do not understand, seem that they are if conforming with more 10 years it ties the cure…I wait in the maximum I tie 2010 with follica;-)