The Effectiveness of Stand Alone ACell and PRP Treatment

At Dr. Cole’s office we use the HairCheck system to determine hair caliber and density. HairCheck also helps us measure the effectiveness of treatments over time. Our recent patient came to us for hairline repair several years ago. Years before that he had another hair restoration physician plant plugs on his hairline which of course provided a cosmetically unacceptable appearance. Once per year since 2011 our patient has had stand alone ACell and PRP treatments. A few days ago he had another treatment and we compared his HairCheck numbers. We measured 5 areas in 2012 and compared the Hair Mass Index we took then to his numbers taken on 07-02-2013. As a point of reference, the first measurement begins at 8cm above the Glabella which is the smooth area between the eyebrows just above the nose.
The numbers are as follows:

08-15-2012
Area 08 - Hair Mass Index - 31
Area 12 - Hair Mass Index - 21
Area 18 - Hair Mass Index - 12
Area 24 - Hair Mass Index - 28
Area 33 - Hair Mass Index - 53

07-02-2013
Area 08 - Hair Mass Index - 62
Area 12 - Hair Mass Index - 32
Area 18 - Hair Mass Index - 38
Area 24 - Hair Mass Index - 43
Area 33 - Hair Mass Index - 64

Our patient did not have any grafts placed in his crown area. These results are encouraging but of course don’t represent a formal study. There are studies currently underway designed to determine the effectiveness of PRP hair loss treatments. We will post more results as they become available. I do have comparison photos of this patient and a closeup view of the crown does show a visible improvement in hair shaft diameter. I also recorded a short video where our patient gives his impression of stand alone ACell and PRP treatments. Today is the 4th of July. I will post the photos and video on Friday.

CITNews works at Dr. Cole’s office
chuck@forhair.com
www.forhair.com

Here is a side by side comparison. Our patient has had three stand-alone PRP / ACell treatments beginning in 2011. As you can see his hair shaft diameter was improved.

Cole Hair Transplant
1045 Powers Place
Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
Phone 678-566-1011
email CITNews at chuck@forhair.com

Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Here is a closeup where you can better see the improvement in hair shaft diameter after stand-alone PRP / ACell treatments beginning in 2011.
*Note:
Both photos were taken with our patient’s hair wet, in order to expose as much scalp as possible.

Cole Hair Transplant
1070 Powers Place
Phone 678-566-1011

Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Hi Chuck, Is it a viable treatment up front where finasteride and minoxidil are less effective?

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by hairdar[/postedby]
Hi Chuck, Is it a viable treatment up front where finasteride and minoxidil are less effective?[/quote]

hairdar:

Our patient had been using Rogaine, Finasteride, and more recently Avodart for several years. He didn’t notice a significant difference in his hair caliber until after he had his first ACell / PRP treatment. I shot the video in hi-def 720p. It is uploaded to You Tube. Hit the quality control and change the setting to hi-def and select the full screen mode. The hair shafts will show clearly in the side by side comparison.

Here is the video I shot where our patient describes his impression.

chuck@forhair.com
www.forhair.com

It would be huge if I can just use Acell and PRP and stop using Propecia entirely, I am always worried about long term side effects from the pill.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I just now saw this -

Are these PRP + Acell results happening consistently, without evidence that they were spurred by other existing MPB meds kicking in?

We would be please if Aderans could reliably deliver that kind of thickening.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by cal[/postedby]
Sorry to bump an old thread but I just now saw this -

Are these PRP + Acell results happening consistently, without evidence that they were spurred by other existing MPB meds kicking in?

We would be please if Aderans could reliably deliver that kind of thickening.[/quote]

Dr. Cole began using PRP because it improves healing.
Emory Healthcare

It has been claimed that PRP improves hair shaft diameter. We have studies underway designed to quantify improvements in hair shaft diameter. We have also sent out patient surveys designed to determine our patient’s impressions of their PRP treatment. We have had five stand-alone PRP treatments in the last year. The majority of patients have PRP and ACell treatments during their hair transplant surgery.

Our patient shown in this thread has had three PRP treatments. He saw the best results from his treatment in 2012. Dr. Cole has modified the PRP formula and is seeing better results using his
Angel” system.

As I mentioned, our patient whose photos are featured in this thread had been using Propecia for many years. He switched to Avodart in 2003. When he had his first PRP / ACell treatment, he had been on Avodart for about 8 years. Avodart may have enhanced the effectiveness of the PRP / Acell treatments, but our patient didn’t see any major improvement in hair shaft diameter until a short time after his ACell / PRP treatments. Our patient continued using Avodart during and after his treatments.

Cole Hair Transplant
1045 Powers Place
Phone 678-566-1011

What kind of money is your clinic asking for each round of (stand alone) PRP & Acell?

cal:
We avoid posting prices in forums because forum posts often become a permanent fixture and prices always change over time.

You may phone our office for pricing:
678-566-1011
Ask for Parvin

Cole Hair Transplant
1045 Powers Place
Phone 678-566-1011

Emory Healthcare has a decent video covering the value of PRP with regards to healing. As I mentioned, Dr. Cole began using PRP because of its effectiveness in helping the healing process along. Hair restoration doctors began to notice that in some cases PRP increases a patient’s hair shaft diameter.

Cole Hair Transplant
1045 Powers Place
Phone 678-566-1011

What about the longer term?

I recall that the early PRP patients were always sliding back to baseline within a year or so. There was no lasting gain.

Does your clinic have enough test patients for Acell + PRP alone (no HT grafting done at the same time) to have any sense of the treatment’s longevity by itself?

Why don’t those repeated injections damage or destroy hair follicles?

Small as a needle is, it is still very large compared to a hair follicle.

It would be like anyone of us being impaled on a sharpened telephone pole.

At this point, it’s recommended that PRP treatments be repeated at least once per year. Our patient, whose photos I posted in this thread had better hair shaft diameter eleven months after his 08/15/12 PRP/ACell treatment than he had 6 years earlier (in 2007).

Cole Hair Transplant
1045 Powers Place
Phone 678-566-1011

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by Ahab[/postedby]
Why don’t those repeated injections damage or destroy hair follicles?

Small as a needle is, it is still very large compared to a hair follicle.

It would be like anyone of us being impaled on a sharpened telephone pole.[/quote]

MPB programs men to think that hair follicles are frail and very easily damaged. To put things in perspective, we recently had a repair patient in who had a low hairline grafted by another clinic using twos, threes, and even four hair grafts on his hairline. He was shocked when the transplanted hair grew in. He had repeated laser hair removal treatments with little success and had Dr. Cole surgically remove the hair.

Not sure about damage caused by needles. Micro needling is evidently beneficial and some strip hair transplant patients claim micro needling has improved the appearance of their strip scar/scars.

I did a search and could not find a study indicating hypodermic needles are harmful to skin.

Cole Hair Transplant
1045 Powers Place
Phone 678-566-1011

CITnews,

When you said “stand alone treatment”, does it mean that I don’t need to get a hair transplant in order to have PRP? I can get PRP by itself from Dr. Cole?

I’m not reassured.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by reiner[/postedby]
CITnews,

When you said “stand alone treatment”, does it mean that I don’t need to get a hair transplant in order to have PRP? I can get PRP by itself from Dr. Cole?[/quote]

That is correct.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by reiner[/postedby]
CITnews,

When you said “stand alone treatment”, does it mean that I don’t need to get a hair transplant in order to have PRP? I can get PRP by itself from Dr. Cole?

[postedby]Originally Posted by CITNews[/postedby]

That is correct.[/quote]

Chuck is it just PRP or “PRP and Acell” combined, as a stand alone treatment?

Dr. Cole has determined that ACell combined with PRP is more effective in improving hair shaft diameter. Our PRP treatments include ACell.

Cole Hair Transplant
1045 Powers Place
Phone 678-566-1011