Study: Ketoconazole is a STIMULANT

Topical application of ketoconazole stimulates hair growth in C3H/HeN mice.Jiang J, Tsuboi R, Kojima Y, Ogawa H.
Department of Dermatology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo 113-8421, Japan.

Ketoconazole (KCZ) is an imidazole anti-fungal agent that is also effective in topical applications for treating seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff. Recently, topical use of 2% KCZ shampoo has been reported to have had a clinically therapeutic effect on androgenetic alopecia. The present study was conducted with the purpose of quantitatively examining the stimulatory effect of KCZ on hair growth in a mouse model. Coat hairs on the dorsal skin of seven week-old male C3H/HeN mice were gently clipped, and either 2% KCZ solution in 95% ethanol or a vehicle solution was topically applied once daily for three weeks. The clipped area was photographed, and the ratio of re-grown coat area was then calculated. The results demonstrated that 2% KCZ had a macroscopically significant stimulatory effect compared with the vehicle group (p<0.01, n=10). Repeated experiments showed similar effects, confirming the efficacy of KCZ as a hair growth stimulant. Although the therapeutic mechanism of topical KCZ for hair growth is unclear, our results suggest that topical applications of the substance are useful for treating seborrheic dermatitis accompanied by hair regression or male pattern hair loss.

I washed a wrist about every third day with nizoral a year or so ago, and left the suds in for a couple of minutes. At three months the hair on that wrist was longer and darker than the other wrist. It stimulated growth there, much to my suprise. We know that sebaceous glands get smaller (about 20%) with nizoral usage via another study and that sebum secretions decline, but this drug does something else that acts as a stimulant. It affects certain prostaglandins, inhibits malezzia fufur, and who knows what else. Nizoral is something that anybody can add to their “regimine”.

nizoral which the active ingredient is keto , is well known to stimulate hair growth

there are tons of studies of Nizoral and keto which say the same thing

This is an interesting finding.

I’ve always been a big fan of Keto shampoos. Been typically using them at least 3-5 times a week. Whatever bad styling damage that heavy usage might be doing to my hair, I figure it’s gonna be outweighed in the long run by the MPB-fighting effects from it.

» This is an interesting finding.
»
» I’ve always been a big fan of Keto shampoos. Been typically using them at
» least 3-5 times a week. Whatever bad styling damage that heavy usage might
» be doing to my hair, I figure it’s gonna be outweighed in the long run by
» the MPB-fighting effects from it.

find? its not news
nizoral shampoo has been around with 2 percent keto for how long? years

A great many people attribute keto’s effect on hairgrowth in Androgenic alopcia subjects to its anti-androgenic effect. We know one has less sebum produced and smaller sebaceous glands with keto.

This study proves that ketoconozaole stimulates hair period, irrespective of its anti-androgenic profile.

When I washed my wrists with it for three months…I was anticipating that the hair on that wrist would react to the anti-androgenic keto and become thinner and weaker. The opposite happened. It got longer and darker and thicker.

Obviously keto, which you use hagin’, is very useful. Long-term, its almost assuredy better than minxodil. Whether its by inhibiting a particular prostaglandin, malezzia furfur, cytochrome P450 or whatever…its good for hair for reasons beyond androgen antagonsim.

» find? its not news
» nizoral shampoo has been around with 2 percent keto for how long? years

That study was published in 2005 ( searched via pubmed ), but I think that he means that it acts as a stimulant ( i.e like minoxidil ) and not only as an antiandrogen / antifungal

» A great many people attribute keto’s effect on hairgrowth in Androgenic
» alopcia subjects to its anti-androgenic effect. We know one has less sebum
» produced and smaller sebaceous glands with keto.
»
»
» This study proves that ketoconozaole stimulates hair period, irrespective
» of its anti-androgenic profile.
»
»
»
» When I washed my wrists with it for three months…I was
» anticipating that the hair on that wrist would react to the anti-androgenic
» keto and become thinner and weaker. The opposite happened. It got longer
» and darker and thicker.
»
»
» Obviously keto, which you use hagin’, is very useful. Long-term, its
» almost assuredy better than minxodil. Whether its by inhibiting a
» particular prostaglandin, malezzia furfur, cytochrome P450 or
» whatever…its good for hair for reasons beyond androgen
» antagonsim.

i actually only used niz cream for about 3 months had a huge shed scared the crap out of me, i mean it made my frontal top hair totally weak and see through, so i stopped it after three months. After about 4 more months
it eventually regrew even stronger but i got so spooked by this shed i am afraid to go back on it

my hair still looks way better now than it did 10 yrs ago and thats with all naturals mostly and no transplant

however

when i got the shed on niz cream its the first time i ever expreienced a shed, and even though it grew back even stronger, i am not convinced it wont happen again and maybe NOT grow back this time

sheds make me nervous

I use ketoconazole 1% shampoo every single day, and leave it on sometimes for half an hour.

Some ppl say that shampoo cant do any difference, but I personally believe that keto shampoo left on for at least 5 mins a day is more important then minoxidil and can easily more than double your propecia results

» I use ketoconazole 1% shampoo every single day, and leave it on sometimes
» for half an hour.
»
» Some ppl say that shampoo cant do any difference, but I personally believe
» that keto shampoo left on for at least 5 mins a day is more important then
» minoxidil and can easily more than double your propecia results

On the nizoral website, there is information about how long ketoconazole stays in the skin:

"

* Following a single application of ketoconazole shampoo, ketoconazole persists at therapeutic concentrations for 7 days in the epidermal layers. In addition, substantial pityrosporal inhibitory doses of ketoconazole were detected on the hair for several days after use of the shampoo, the mean level at 72 h was 11.6 µ mg.[/i] "

That info is near the bottom of this page: http://www.nizoral.com/story/index.jhtml in small grey writing…

I think the 2% version has instructions right on the bottle that say “leave on for several minutes” or some such direction. The 1% version just says lather and rinse----which probably gets a good many men to really miss the hairloss benefit of nizoral. They simply dont leave it in long enough for the keto to get down to dermal papilla depth. Ive been using it about every third day----left in for at least two minutes…