Stem cells contact lenses cure blindness in a month!

Stem Cell Contact Lenses Cure Blindness in Less Than a Month

Here’s something that people with poor or no vision will be excited about: three patients had their sight restored in less than a month by contact lenses cultured with stem cells.

All three patients were blind in one eye. The researchers extracted stem cells from their working eyes, cultured them in contact lenses for 10 days, and gave them to the patients. Within 10 to 14 days of use, the stem cells began recolonizing and repairing the cornea.

Of the three patients, two were legally blind but can now read the big letters on an eye chart, while the third, who could previously read the top few rows of the chart, is now able to pass the vision test for a driver's license. The research team isn't getting over excited, still remaining unsure as to whether the correction will remain stable, but the fact that the three test patients have been enjoying restored sight for the last 18 months is definitely encouraging. The simplicity and low cost of the technique also means that it could be carried out in poorer countries.

This is incredible and potentially game changing. It’s stuff like this that makes you realize that we live in the future, and it’s awesome.

Its all breakthroughs with these stem cells…something will come and maybe out of nowhere!!!Did anyone new about this thing before?

That’s an enormous success. Blindess is far more difficult to treat and/or cure compared to hairloss in my opnion. If stem cells can cure the blind, then curing baldness would be of no issue for them. The question is CAN WE HAVE THEM FOCUS ON MPB

Nice find. Gives a lot hope.

» Stem Cell Contact Lenses Cure Blindness in Less Than a Month
»
»
» Here’s something that people with poor or no vision will be excited about:
» three patients had their sight restored in less than a month by contact
» lenses cultured with stem cells.
»
» All three patients were blind in one eye. The researchers extracted stem
» cells from their working eyes, cultured them in contact lenses for 10 days,
» and gave them to the patients. Within 10 to 14 days of use, the stem cells
» began recolonizing and repairing the cornea.
»
» Of the three patients, two were legally blind but can now read the big
» letters on an eye chart, while the third, who could previously read the top
» few rows of the chart, is now able to pass the vision test for a driver’s
» license. The research team isn’t getting over excited, still remaining
» unsure as to whether the correction will remain stable, but the fact that
» the three test patients have been enjoying restored sight for the last 18
» months is definitely encouraging. The simplicity and low cost of the
» technique also means that it could be carried out in poorer countries.
»
» This is incredible and potentially game changing. It’s stuff like this
» that makes you realize that we live in the future, and it’s awesome.
»
»
»
» Its all breakthroughs with these stem cells…something will come and
» maybe out of nowhere!!!Did anyone new about this thing before?

»
»
» Here’s something that people with poor or no vision will be excited about:
» three patients had their sight restored in less than a month by contact
» lenses cultured with stem cells.
»
» All three patients were blind in one eye. The researchers extracted stem
» cells from their working eyes, cultured them in contact lenses for 10 days,
» and gave them to the patients. Within 10 to 14 days of use, the stem cells
» began recolonizing and repairing the cornea.
»
» Of the three patients, two were legally blind but can now read the big
» letters on an eye chart, while the third, who could previously read the top
» few rows of the chart, is now able to pass the vision test for a driver’s
» license. The research team isn’t getting over excited, still remaining
» unsure as to whether the correction will remain stable, but the fact that
» the three test patients have been enjoying restored sight for the last 18
» months is definitely encouraging. The simplicity and low cost of the
» technique also means that it could be carried out in poorer countries.
»
» This is incredible and potentially game changing. It’s stuff like this
» that makes you realize that we live in the future, and it’s awesome.
»
»
»
» Its all breakthroughs with these stem cells…something will come and
» maybe out of nowhere!!!Did anyone new about this thing before?

This is very exciting. Now they need to make swimming cap full of stem cells for hairloss :).

great, now those patients can see themselves go slowly bald

» great, now those patients can see themselves go slowly bald

lol

Why is this not all over the mainstream media, if it is true? it is HUGE

where is this on the news channels

» Why is this not all over the mainstream media, if it is true? it is HUGE
»
» where is this on the news channels

Dont believe it… LMAO man you really like to make strong statements just to draw attention :slight_smile:

Hey i know you some times turn psycho and dont believe anything but if you do a google search you will find more links talking about this than gizmodo. I know we have to take everything with a grain of salt but there are links, videos and reports of this.Is it all fake? some sort of conspiracy?

I was just about to post this story too…not sure if people noticed at the end of the video the doctor mentioned this technique can be used on skin, hence why its even more relevant for us.

Someone should contact these researchers and ask if they can use this for hairloss-I’m sure they can get volunteers. Take some stem cells from permanently growing hair, multiply them and inject them back in the scalp-its gotta be easier than corneal repair.

Don’t know why they can’t do this already-it seems so obvious. They stand to make a lot of money too.

» great, now those patients can see themselves go slowly bald

ROFL

» I was just about to post this story too…not sure if people noticed at the
» end of the video the doctor mentioned this technique can be used on skin,
» hence why its even more relevant for us.
»
» Someone should contact these researchers and ask if they can use this for
» hairloss-I’m sure they can get volunteers. Take some stem cells from
» permanently growing hair, multiply them and inject them back in the
» scalp-its gotta be easier than corneal repair.
»
» Don’t know why they can’t do this already-it seems so obvious. They stand
» to make a lot of money too.
»
»
» » great, now those patients can see themselves go slowly bald
»
» ROFL

Actually I think that this is what Follica is trying to do but in a simper way.They dont have to take stem cells from the donor in order to fix the recipinet like in this case where they took stem cells from the good eye to try to fix the bad eye.

Follica wounds the skin the stem cells go into an embryonic window so that means that they dont need to culture them from somewhere else. And then they control with proteins if during the healing we will have new hair follicles or no hair follicles at all.We all know this… The key is how these hair will respond to DHT… if they can give us a full head of hair and then to keep it we will have to take propecia for the rest of our lives…for me personally its a bad deal.

Just for the shake of a debate, what about this for an idea?.. In the blind healing protocol the stem cells from the good eye fix the bad eye, the injured eye, the lets say…wounded eye ;). By wounding the skin… and taking stem cells from the good hair(donor) and skin(normal skin) could we more permanently fix the bad hair(recipient)and skin(wounded skin by the Follica technique).

And then using these stem cells hoping that the wounded skin will be healed…BUT giving it characteristics of the donor!!! Propably a matrix would be needed like the contact lenses in the eyes case.And also add the wnt proteins that follica uses to boost the follicle formation.

Its like a combination of the intercytex,aderans protocol with Follicas! Its just an idea guys for the shake of the debate :slight_smile:

I have a feeling that stem cells really perform when they are in healing mode…maybe the key is to find a ground where healing is actually needed so that they can perform their miracles…Hence the artificial wounding from Follica.

Even the new teqique of PRP uses a needling protocol… healing is the key.Is PRP actually the first and less potent form of what the future is bringing through Follica???

» Actually I think that this is what Follica is trying to do…

Good thinking…I believe we agree that Follica/PRP are doomed to fail if all the wounding produces is the same type of hair that previously fell out.

This is why its crucial stem cells from the donor area are used. I think you’re right, some type of wounding will be required and have some cell growth media placed on the scalp until the hair cells take root.

I know Intercytex has received a lot of criticism, but their solution shows promise assuming their hype is true. They were recently featured in PopSci Magazine:

If Intercytex manages to grow permanent hairs in a petri dish that can be reimplanted, then essentially the problem is solved. They even claimed 40% of the injected cells grew hair. I’ll take any method that works. :slight_smile:

» They even claimed 40%
» of the injected cells grew hair. I’ll take any method that works. :slight_smile:

ICX claims that too, however that figure includes hairs that are very thin as well.

» » Why is this not all over the mainstream media, if it is true? it is HUGE
» »
» » where is this on the news channels
»
»
»
» Dont believe it… LMAO man you really like to make strong statements just
» to draw attention :slight_smile:
»
» Hey i know you some times turn psycho and dont believe anything but if you
» do a google search you will find more links talking about this than
» gizmodo. I know we have to take everything with a grain of salt but there
» are links, videos and reports of this.Is it all fake? some sort of
» conspiracy?

I said where is this on the mainstream news, Seen it on msnbc> Fox? the evening news? Why in such an important find like this, is it, that the first place most of us hear about this is on hairsite? seems odd dont you think, wouldnt it be all over the news? as I said

repairing the cornea doesn´t look very difficult.
the cornea is a very simple part of the eye.
The retina is a totally different matter. Can they repair the retina?

oh, by the way… fÜck the blind people, fÜck the old people with vlus, and fÜck the mice experiments, WE WANT A CURE FOR HUMAN BALDNESS.

» repairing the cornea doesn´t look very difficult.
» the cornea is a very simple part of the eye.
» The retina is a totally different matter. Can they repair the retina?
»
» oh, by the way… fÜck the blind people, fÜck the old people with vlus,
» and fÜck the mice experiments, WE WANT A CURE FOR HUMAN BALDNESS.

nice attitude

» » repairing the cornea doesn´t look very difficult.
» » the cornea is a very simple part of the eye.
» » The retina is a totally different matter. Can they repair the retina?
» »
» » oh, by the way… fÜck the blind people, fÜck the old people with vlus,
» » and fÜck the mice experiments, WE WANT A CURE FOR HUMAN BALDNESS.
»
» nice attitude

oh, I forgot to say, fück the burn victims too…

you know, I am tired of that stupid “political correctness”, when some companies look ashamed of researching a cure for baldness and somehow prefer to give priorities to cure other afflictions.

I have said many times, baldness is one of the biggest problems of mankind, and must be a priority to cure it.

1. Baldness affects a huge number of men. HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MEN. Nothing compared with blindness, burns, or vlus, that are just a needle in an ocean. NUMBERS MATTER. When you multiply the suffering of a single bald man by the number of balmen on earth, you get an inmense amount of suffering and discomfort. This is not an exaggeration at all.

2. Baldness treatments are potentially lethal. People is using Propecia and Minox for many many years and only God knows the secondary effects of these drugs in the long term. Not mentioning other less-conventional treatments, that could be even more dangerous.

» 1. Baldness affects a huge number of men. HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MEN.
» Nothing compared with blindness, burns, or vlus, that are just a needle in
» an ocean. NUMBERS MATTER. When you multiply the suffering of a single bald
» man by the number of balmen on earth, you get an inmense amount of
» suffering and discomfort. This is not an exaggeration at all.

I would say more:
when you multiply the suffering of a single bald men, by the number of baldmen on earth, by the number of years they suffer this illness (lets say 40 years on average), the result is astronomical.

Now, does anyone have any doubt, that this is the worst illness of mankind?

I think it is clear that we should not accept any discrimination in the direction of considering baldness a low-priority illness.

To each person his problems are more significant than anyone else’s. And the thing about baldness is unless you’re suffering from it it will never even be used in the same sentence as “disease”. That’s why sometimes I wish Bill Gates went bald so he can invest in finding a cure :smiley:

» » 1. Baldness affects a huge number of men. HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MEN.
» » Nothing compared with blindness, burns, or vlus, that are just a needle
» in
» » an ocean. NUMBERS MATTER. When you multiply the suffering of a single
» bald
» » man by the number of balmen on earth, you get an inmense amount of
» » suffering and discomfort. This is not an exaggeration at all.
»
»
» I would say more:
» when you multiply the suffering of a single bald men, by the number of
» baldmen on earth, by the number of years they suffer this illness (lets say
» 40 years on average), the result is astronomical.
»
» Now, does anyone have any doubt, that this is the worst illness of
» mankind?
»
» I think it is clear that we should not accept any discrimination in the
» direction of considering baldness a low-priority illness.

I started SEVERELY thinning at 21, and I was quite the ladies man at the time,
My hair shut down basically and I would have been like Ron Howard in 5 yrs had i not discovered vitamins and a healthy lifestyle which severely slowed down my rate of thinning
I managed to hold on to it until my late 30s even, with just a bald spot on the crown

Did i suffer , well yes, but it was all in my head, and it was my choice. If your hair is the most important thing in your life and you think you are a loser without studly 19 year olds hairline. then you bring this on yourself. We all have a cross to bear in life, some are short, some are ugly, some are not that bright, some are poor, with no family support, there is always something,

Look at Christopher reeve, look what happened to him, you think he cared about his hair? he just wanted to have movement back

You never know something is important until you lose it, and after suffering severe thinning for 25 yrs, believe me we care WAY MORE about our hair , than the rest of society does. I used to wear a hat all the time in the USA, now I hardly ever do, it makes me look ridiculous and people were thinking, hey dude what do you think you are hiding you think we dont know?

If hair loss is your most serious problem you are a very fortunate person. the severity of this condition is all self induced.

Society actually cares much more about YOUR REACTION TO YOUR OWN HAIR, than they do about your hair itself. If you go get a toupee, or get transplants, wear a hat, are shy and self conscious about your hair, they think you are a loser. If you are fine with it, shave your head, or just go about your life, sure they will tease you sometimes, SO WHAT, get over yourself, I just laugh. My sister and her husband came to visit and the wife said at dinner, to my little girl, you dont want to be bald like your daddy do you. Years ago i would have been upset, I laughed, just as if it were a comment about my shirt.

Learn not to take yourself so seriously. Believe me society doesnt care nearly as much about your hair as you think they do. They are much more concerned with your character, your generosity, kindness, how you treat THEM

any guy or girl who snickers, well either they themselves or their partner will probably experience the same thing 15 yrs down the road.

Hey, Hanging, you are not refuting my point. In fact, you admit that baldness was a big issue for you. You say that the rest of society doesn’t care, and we are somehow a club of internet weirdows. But this is not true. I think all men who go bald cares about it, but many of them just pretend not to care… some kind of “damage control” tactics.

The truth is, that, on average, bald men find his baldness uncomfortable to say the least. And when you consider that they must bear this discomfort for half of his life, and you consider the hundreds of millions of persons in the world with this problem, you can’t avoid the conclusion that this is a HUGE problem.

Of course you can learn to live with it, but this is true even for the blind people, isn’t it?

» I started SEVERELY thinning at 21, and I was quite the ladies man at the
» time,
» My hair shut down basically and I would have been like Ron Howard in 5 yrs
» had i not discovered vitamins and a healthy lifestyle which severely slowed
» down my rate of thinning
» I managed to hold on to it until my late 30s even, with just a bald spot
» on the crown
»
» Did i suffer , well yes, but it was all in my head, and it was my choice.
» If your hair is the most important thing in your life and you think you are
» a loser without studly 19 year olds hairline. then you bring this on
» yourself. We all have a cross to bear in life, some are short, some are
» ugly, some are not that bright, some are poor, with no family support,
» there is always something,
»
» Look at Christopher reeve, look what happened to him, you think he cared
» about his hair? he just wanted to have movement back
»
» You never know something is important until you lose it, and after
» suffering severe thinning for 25 yrs, believe me we care WAY MORE about our
» hair , than the rest of society does. I used to wear a hat all the time in
» the USA, now I hardly ever do, it makes me look ridiculous and people were
» thinking, hey dude what do you think you are hiding you think we dont
» know?
»
» If hair loss is your most serious problem you are a very fortunate person.
» the severity of this condition is all self induced.

» Hey, Hanging, you are not refuting my point. In fact, you admit that
» baldness was a big issue for you. You say that the rest of society doesn’t
» care, and we are somehow a club of internet weirdows. But this is not true.
» I think all men who go bald cares about it, but many of them just pretend
» not to care… some kind of “damage control” tactics.
»
» The truth is, that, on average, bald men find his baldness uncomfortable
» to say the least. And when you consider that they must bear this discomfort
» for half of his life, and you consider the hundreds of millions of persons
» in the world with this problem, you can’t avoid the conclusion that this is
» a HUGE problem.
»
» Of course you can learn to live with it, but this is true even for the
» blind people, isn’t it?
»
»

Hey man i know how upset we can be sometimes and baldness sucks big time we all know this. But honeslty is stupid to compare what we have with blind people.I think you know it also but you are on a bad mood these days propably. Is what i called the "i hate to be bald period, we all go through this from time to time, it usually comes with shedding, bad haircut, wrong hairstyle, a bad experience with a girl, coworkers or friends where hairloss was mentioned, lol

Its a disease its for sure we all have the same symptoms but what the heck we just have to live with it.What are we gonna win by crying about it all the time…our life will pass and we will loose many good experiences. Sports help i just wish i had more time…