Simpson and Delilah

Okay, I know this is really off topic, but nobody reads the off topic board anyway, so I’ll post it here.

You guys should really watch the Simpsons Season Two episode “Simpson and Delilah”. Homer tries a baldness cure called “Dimoxinil” which grows him back his hair.

It’s really a heartening episode. You really can get the feeling that the writers know what it’s like to go bald. “Dear God, please give a bald guy a break”.

The sheer bliss when Homer wakes up in the morning to find he has grown his hair back. I know I’ll react just like that when our train finally comes. And of course, Burns giving Homer his old job back because he too knows what it’s like to feel the sting of “male pattern baldness”.

What I wouldn’t give for some of that “Dimoxinil” stuff . . .

» What I wouldn’t give for some of that “Dimoxinil” stuff . . .

Your manhood :smiley:

I remember watching this when it originally aired, and I remember relating to it a lot (I’ve been dealing with hair loss for over 20 years). And I agree. Whoever wrote it surely has dealt with hair loss. You can watch it for free here.
http://watchthesimpsonsonline.com/movie/215-The_Simpsons_202_Simpson_and_Delilah.html

Ya know, I think somewhere in the early Simpsons press they gave Homer’s age to be 33 years old.

That’s hella early for being that bald. Homer looks like a badly thinning NW#5 that’s very clearly headed for NW#7.

The character seemed to play a few years older than this much of the time. Maybe they adjusted him upwards because there were more story possibilites if he & Marge were a little farther into middle age. (Homer once got triple-bypass surgery after a bunch of heart attacks, etc.)

But even if that’s the case, his appearance was still originally set at the beginning when they were calling him only 33 years old.

i must have been around 10 when this episode was first on. Back then i didnt get it, i just laughed at the punchlines. Funny, now i almost want to cry watching this episode :frowning:

There’s another episode where Homer gets a hair transplant (more like a whole scalp transplant) from an executed convict, Snake. The hair then takes control of Homer’s personality and alas, he has to get rid of it.

» Ya know, I think somewhere in the early Simpsons press they gave Homer’s
» age to be 33 years old.

I think Homer is now 38-39, but Bart and Lisa were always 10 and 8.

Yep. “Hell Toupee”. One of the episodes in a Halloween Treehouse of Horror.
http://watchthesimpsonsonline.com/movie/124-The_Simpsons_1004_Treehouse_of_Horror_IX.html

» Okay, I know this is really off topic, but nobody reads the off topic board
» anyway, so I’ll post it here.
»
» You guys should really watch the Simpsons Season Two episode “Simpson and
» Delilah”. Homer tries a baldness cure called “Dimoxinil” which grows him
» back his hair.
»
» It’s really a heartening episode. You really can get the feeling that the
» writers know what it’s like to go bald. “Dear God, please give a bald guy
» a break”.
»
» The sheer bliss when Homer wakes up in the morning to find he has grown
» his hair back. I know I’ll react just like that when our train finally
» comes. And of course, Burns giving Homer his old job back because he too
» knows what it’s like to feel the sting of “male pattern baldness”.

Bad part about this is that it continues to foster the attitude that there’s something funny about male pattern baldness.

I mean they wouldn’t make a comedy out of someone whose scalp was burned off in a fire.

» Ya know, I think somewhere in the early Simpsons press they gave Homer’s
» age to be 33 years old.
»
» That’s hella early for being that bald.

I went Norwood 5 in my twenties, and that was more than 30 years ago.

Being young and bald is the worst.

And it’s definitely not funny.

You’re right. But I thought the episode was pretty balanced. They also made fun of those who looked down on people just because they were bald. Like the lady saying, “Some nerve. Telling us how to run the plant. He doesn’t even have hair”. Basically pointing out the absurdity of the way people think about baldness.

I’m as sensitive to bald jokes as most dealing with hair loss, but I actually like this episode.

» Being young and bald is the worst.
»
» And it’s definitely not funny.

o/ here