September 28th: First Robotic Hair Transplant in Canada

September 28th: First Robotic Hair Transplant in Canada

As some of you know, Dr. Rahal recently purchased the ARTAS robotic hair transplant system. Up to now he has used it to perform smaller test sessions.

Adamo Papa, a local patient, will be taking the seat and the spotlight tomorrow when he becomes the first patient to undergo a robotic hair transplant in Canada.

We know there’s been a lot of interest and curiosity surrounding the ARTAS system, so Dr. Rahal and Adamo will be answering questions both during and after the procedure.

There are two ways to get involved, ask a question and offer Adamo support:

• If you’re on Twitter, add hashtag #robotht to tweets both during and after the procedure

• Visit the Adamo’s blog at adamo - Rahal Hair Transplant You can ask him questions both during and after the procedure through the comments

Adamo has also agreed to document the procedure in detail from start to finish including photos, video and blog journal, so feel free to contact him directly for any requests! We will of course update forum members regularly.

Several media will be attending including the Discovery Channel, and we welcome forum members to join in the discussion and share their experience, support and knowledge.

Please keep in mind that the ARTAS trial is ongoing and for the time being will be offered on a very limited basis.

Is this the same as neograft?

I don’t think anyone that understands the FUE procedure and the part punch sizes play in the healing process along with yield, transection, and potential white dotting would ever opt for something or someone that uses punches 1mm or larger. With that being said I can only come to the conclusion that the patient that opts for this type of procedure using this robot has not been fully informed of these issues. If the patient has not been fully informed than has anything in this industry really changed? Please correct me if I am wrong here.

It would seem to me that the machine does not benefit the patient at all but benefits the clinic. When performed manually the procedure can be very fatiguing to the hand of the doctor that wields the punch so the issue than becomes does the clinic sacrifice the patient’s best interest for profit.

I would like to know more about the commercial agreement between the manufacturer and the clinic. Does the contract require the buyer to purchase replacement punches only from the manufacturer of the machine thus generating recurring income and what effect does this have on initial offering price of the machine itself.

I would also like to see several pictures of a shaved down donor area presented.

Looks like a pretty unchallenging case, but I guess It’ll be good one for the “typical result” showreel.

Cost per graft? More expensive or less expensive than manual FUE?

Looks like they get a " cut " ( pardon the pun ) for each and every graft "arty robot punches " … extremely lucrative , i dont think the figures below have been " plucked " from thin air !

ejj

Cole Instruments attended the 2011 ISHRS meeting in Anchorage, Alaska in September. Over 300 ISHRS members registered for this meeting. Physicians enthusiastically purchased the Cole Instrument line of surgical tools. The graft chiller plate and the CIT method of FUE instruments were in high demand. A number of instruments were completely sold out at the meeting. Physicians recognized the superiority of the Cole Instrument FUE punches over all other punches in terms of a sharp edge, thin wall, and hardened steel. Physicians were also impressed with the accuracy and low transection rate of the power follicular isolations devices produced by Cole Instruments (PCID).

The Cole method of harvesting follicular units is three to four times as fast as the ARTAS robot FUE system and has a follicular transection rate less than one-half as high as the ARTAS FUE robot. Physicians who purchased the ARTAS robot immediate obtained a device that is well behind in safety and technology as compared with the Cole Instrument line of FUE equipment. Not only this, physicians who purchased the ARTAS robot paid Restoration Robotics 0,000.00 USD, as well as id=“bd” class=“fs3 ltr”.00 USD per graft. The ARTAS robot has only a handful of patient results, while Cole Instruments have produced over 4000 patient results and counting.

Hey Garyg I have a news flash for you. Cost is way down on the list in fact it should not even be on the list. If you can’t afford it you either wait, have small sessions over time, or do nothing. The only thing that matters is no harm is done to the patient and any work performed leaves the patient better off in both the short and long run. This device uses punches that are too large. Are people here just not informed or is everyone here new. Just search white dotting and punch sizes on all the forums.

If you consider cost you can very well be hiding under a hat for the rest of your life while working 2 jobs, taking no vacation, scrimping and saving and not enjoying many things in life. So you have saved nothing.

» Hey Garyg I have a news flash for you. Cost is way down on the list in fact
» it should not even be on the list. If you can’t afford it you either wait,
» have small sessions over time, or do nothing. The only thing that matters
» is no harm is done to the patient and any work performed leaves the patient
» better off in both the short and long run. This device uses punches that
» are too large. Are people here just not informed or is everyone here new.
» Just search white dotting and punch sizes on all the forums.
»
» If you consider cost you can very well be hiding under a hat for the rest
» of your life while working 2 jobs, taking no vacation, scrimping and saving
» and not enjoying many things in life. So you have saved nothing.

Of course I have to consider cost, why wouldn’t I? Cost is always a factor, that’s human nature, we consumers want it good and we want it cheap.

» September 28th: First Robotic Hair Transplant in
» Canada

»
»
»
» As some of you know, Dr. Rahal recently purchased the ARTAS robotic hair
» transplant system. Up to now he has used it to perform smaller test
» sessions.
»
» Adamo Papa, a local patient, will be taking the seat and the
» spotlight tomorrow when he becomes the first patient to undergo a robotic
» hair transplant in Canada.
»
»
»
» We know there’s been a lot of interest and curiosity surrounding the ARTAS
» system, so Dr. Rahal and Adamo will be answering questions both during and
» after the procedure.
»
» There are two ways to get involved, ask a question and offer Adamo
» support:
»
»
» - If you’re on Twitter, add hashtag #robotht to tweets both
» during and after the procedure
»
»
» - Visit the Adamo’s blog at
» adamo - Rahal Hair
» Transplant
You can ask him questions both during and after the
» procedure through the comments
»
» Adamo has also agreed to document the procedure in detail from start to
» finish including photos, video and blog journal, so feel free to contact
» him directly for any requests! We will of course update forum members
» regularly.
»
» Several media will be attending including the Discovery Channel, and we
» welcome forum members to join in the discussion and share their experience,
» support and knowledge.
»
» Please keep in mind that the ARTAS trial is ongoing and for the time being
» will be offered on a very limited basis.

Is this supposed to be broadcast live? I followed the link but I didn’t see anything.

It isn’t broadcast live, but there will be videos. First one is up.

We understand that of all the questions surrounding ARTAS, the most important ones relate to what it means for the patient and his or her satisfaction with the result. Everyone wants to know how it compares to regular FUE. Is it superior or inferior to the more established methods?

That’s why we’re documenting this procedure from start to finish and will be displaying photos and video - this will include a look at how the donor area heals.

The intention here is to offer a completely transparent view of what ARTAS can offer and the coming months will provide a lot of answers.

Very good to hear.

Can you tell us about the punch size range that was used on the patient and most important was the patient advised that the procedure being performed on him was also an evaluating tool for the clinic as the clinic was not sure themselves of if the robot was a superior or inferior method?

Has the patient been notified that there is extensive evidence of whtie dot scarring with larger punches as numerous patients have come forward over the years with complaints associating the punch size with the damage they received and that many of these same patients are at a loss what to do now with some resorting to tattooing?

Sometimes a doctor and clinic have a way of convincing a patient that there is not much to be concerned with in order for the patient to agree meanwhile the doctor knows very well that he is just testing it out to see if it works without the patient knowing.

I notice my comment to Adamo’s blog has been posted, thank you. It’s the only one asking questions so far while the majority can’t wait to get into the chair. I must say I find that very disturbing but we can all wait around the next 3 or 4 years and see what happens.

I think if the same logic were to be applied to Dr Coles instruments ,as has been to the Arty Robot faster , quicker , more patients per day , then Dr Coles instruments have already made Arty obselete and outdated .

Has it got a graft counter on it ,or in its software , so Restoration Robotics know exactly how to invoice the Dr per graft ?

Is it capable of decreasing the possibilty of necrosis ? can it gauge depth of follicle ? be good see results

ejj

It would be interesting to see what Dr. Woods has to say about this haha :slight_smile:

If they are coring very large holes out, there is a price to pay for that in both physical and emotional trauma. If the patient has not been fully informed about the issue of punch sizes and I do mean fully informed then a very hefty penalty needs to be paid. I’m not talking about a small sum to just make the patient go away as is often done but I’m talking about a penalty that completely puts anyone that knowingly does harm out of business.

» If they are coring very large holes out, there is a price to pay for that
» in both physical and emotional trauma. If the patient has not been fully
» informed about the issue of punch sizes and I do mean fully informed then a
» very hefty penalty needs to be paid. I’m not talking about a small sum to
» just make the patient go away as is often done but I’m talking about a
» penalty that completely puts anyone that knowingly does harm out of
» business.

Are you saying that the robot is using a once size fits all punch?

Currently the robot uses punches 1mm or larger that is not good but then again any prospective patient that doesn’t know this by now is a complete dumb ass. These people that are not doing any research deserve what they get. How can we fast forward 7 years later and this is even up for discussion, I don’t get it.

whats the punch size?

» whats the punch size?

This double-punch extraction technique requires an outer 16g (1.65mm) punch with cutting capabilities, along with an inner 18g (1.2 mm) punch with a blunt edge.

ARTAS is only approved for use on patients with straight hair that is dark brown or black in color.

The patient is positioned for the robot to punch out the grafts on a donor area of roughly 5 to 10cm at a time. During this time, the patient must remain absolutely still as the head is restrained by straps. After this, the surgeon removes each graft by hand with a pair of forceps. The patient is then repositioned for ARTAS to work on a new section of donor hair. This process continues until the extraction portion of surgery is complete. The implantation of grafts to the bald area is done using a traditional transplant approach.

ABOUT RESTORATION ROBOTICS

On April 14, 2011 the FDA granted a 510K dollar clearance to the ARTAS System for follicular unit extraction of the scalp on androgenic alopecia patients.

In 2007, the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) meeting was presented with the initial test results of ARTAS. At that point, the prototype had an unacceptably high transection rate of 30%. After more research and testing, at the ISHRS meeting of the following year the company reported that the device had decreased transection rates to 6-15%. At the ISHRS meeting in September 2011 the company reported further improvement in the transection rates of 2-7%, but this is subject to verification.

ARTAS = Useless gimmick which tries to put the dieing FUE/FUT field on life support to appear as “Star Trek Future Robotic cool stuff” which it is not and wont be