Seborrhoeic Dermatitis & hair loss

Hi, I was wondering if you guys can tell me what you use to control the Seborrhoeic Dermatitis on your scalp?
My vertex and the back of my head is constantly inflamed, tender with a tingly feeling or gets itchy.
My hair is thinning out only in those areas as well.
My dad is in his early 60’s and has the same condition yet his hair is still thick. My mom also has tenderness around her vertex area. So I’m guessing Seborrhoeic Dermatitis might be hereditary.
I started using Propecia back in 2006 and it worked quite well for one year, but then after 2007, I stopped gaining hair and was only able to maintain existing hairs. I decided to shave my head completely to stop the itchiness last November but that didn’t pan out too well as the itchiness continued. So I started using Nizoral and Head & Shoulders everyday and the two products combined worked amazing. I gained a lot of my hair back (by reversing miniaturization), and it has thickened to the point where its now the envy of my female friends. Unfortunately, the top of my scalp and the back still remains tender and inflamed.

my question is, besides Nizoral 2% and Head & Shoulders, is there anything else I can use to help me keep my scalp condition under control? I know some of the hair loss may be attributed to MPB, but MPB shouldn’t hurt the scalp to the point where the hairs thins out and falls out. Thanks in advance.

salycic acid and coal tar shampoos are considered anti-inflammatory, and might have an effect

they are known as t-sal and t-gel

Hey there,
I too had Seborrhoeic Dermatitis [/url]and faced a few similar symptoms like redness in my scalp and constant itching and i hope my experience can help you out. I know its a little too late to be replying to this thread but I will try my best to give an answer for anyone who is facing Seborrhoeic Dermatitis.
After a lot of clinic visits and assessments from multiple sources I found out that the reason for my ailment were these:

1. An oily scalp: I used to oil my hair everyday before taking a bath, hoping that it would help smoothen my hair but it turns out it was one of the primary contributors to the problem.
  2. Cold Weather: Another reason to oil my hair since the temperatures was always below 10 degree Celsius and I had to keep my body moisturized. It turns out cold weather can also contribute to Dermatitis.
  3. Stress at my Workplace: It wasn’t that i working paycheck to paycheck but the long working hours and the pressure of deadline definitely increased my blood pressure and the doctors told me that controlling my blood pressure might be beneficial to this hair condition that I had.

Cure: After a long and tiring battle with me trying to control my temper, trying to install heaters at my home and avoiding eating any kind of food with oil or oiling my scalp I had almost surrendered. But luckily giving up hope helped me cool myself down and now even though it has taken a while, I have overcome this problem by following the same techniques.
I realized that dermatitis cannot be cured in a day and understood that my scalp needed constant care and it is not possible to cure dermatitis in a day.

You’re right. There is no miracle cure for hair loss. It does take time to achieve the results you desire. Even with hair transplant surgery, it takes several months before you can finally observe better results. The only option that will give you immediate change are hairpieces such as wigs or toupees. However, this will not guarantee you long-lasting results.

You should not be using Nizoral everyday. With your symptoms it’s worth a trip to the dermatologist. Hairs thin and fall out, typical course of mpb.

Seborrhoeic dermatitis can lead to hair fall. Consult a doctor for seborrhoeic dermatitis for medication. Some tips are here to treat seborrhoeic dermatitis:
1.Wash your head regularly
2. Apply a medicated cream to avoid inflammation
3. Avoid skin and hair product that contains alcohol.
4. Avoid hair styling.

You might want to rotate shampoos.

1. Nizoral 2% (not 1% - 2%) 3X’s per week
  2. Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength 2X’s per week
  3. Neutrogena T-Gel Extra-Strength (not regular strength) 2X’s per week

Those (in my opinion) are the big 3. Never hurts to cleanse the scalp 2X’s per day either at least a few days per week and keep hands off scalp and nice and clean.

You have a chronic hereditary skin condition - unless you want to spend thousands and endless dermatology appointments - best you can probably due is to treat it continuously w/the above very good shampoos (name brands - no generics) and just accept that you are treating a chronic condition the best you can.