Roxithromycin new study , sept 2008

Roxithromycin antagonizes catagen induction in murine and human hair follicles: implication of topical roxithromycin as hair restoration reagent.
Ito T, Fukamizu H, Ito N, Seo N, Yagi H, Takigawa M, Hashizume H.

Department of Dermatology, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, 1-20-1 Handayama Higashi-ku, Hamamatsu, 431-3192, Japan, itoutai@hama-med.ac.jp.

Roxithromycin (RXM) is a 14-member macrolide antibiotics, with a variety of bioregulatory functions including anti-apoptotic activity to keratinocytes. Therefore, RXM has been used for many kinds of skin diseases. In this study, human and murine hair follicles were treated with RXM in order to find the possibility to cure hair loss disease such as androgenetic alopecia (AGA). In AGA, dihydrotestosterone signals apoptosis in dermal papilla cells in susceptible individuals, resting in premature termination of anagen and early entry into catagen. Therefore, anti-apoptotitic drug has a possibility of new candidate for AGA. This study revealed RXM antagonized the in vitro inhibitory effect of IFN-gamma on proliferation of keratinocytes and induction of apoptosis in murine and human hair bulb. RXM increases hair elongation and inhibits catagen-like changes induced in vitro with IFN-gamma in murine and human hair follicles. Furthermore, topical 5% RXM solution effectively restores hair growth in about half of individuals with AGA without any local and systemic adverse effects. Therefore, RXM is new candidate as a hair restoration drug for AGA.

Great Info ! thanks for posting this. I will order some of this online and try the 5% application on my scalp asap.
Sounds like the perfect complement to a good anti-androgen regimen

Where would you order it from?

» Where would you order it from?

very simple - the internet

we can find cheap antibiotic generics available over the net. do a search. they have pills and sirup.Roxithromycin is used as anti-acne and other purposes antibiotic in some countries, not hard to get or expensive.

the plan would be to crush those pills & mix with ethanol & glycerine or PPG.

one thing I don’t understand here, the trial was done using a 0.5% lotion but this post mentions 5%

1-20-1

I seen this years ago, many years ago.

Roxythromicyn was tested in people pre-clinically and 8 out of 11 had at least “some” hair regrowth, but only 4 out of 11 had “strong” hair regrowth.

It was going to be tested in a larger study, but Ive seen no results ever since. The larger study, to take place in Japan, should have been done a few years ago now…and since we have heard nada…Im assuming it only did “OK” and nothing major.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00197379?cond="Androgenetic+alopecia"&rank=7

Thats not really good news to be honest, if all of these patients had good responses, I’d bet that the results would be published by now…

I dont think you can patent roxythromiycn, becuase its already in wide usage for other stuff. One might be able to patent a topcial forumulation, but hell anybody can crush up the tablets in DMSO or alcohol or whatnot at whatever tiny concentration…or even put it in a gel carrier, so I dont think that would be financially fruitful for xyz drug company. I wish they’d give us the results so that we’d know.

Roxy mitigates T cell responses (could be a very important factor in the immuno response, maybe THE factor) and suppresses IL-5 and IL-6, which induce entry into early catagen also.

Again in the preclinicals I read about years ago, 4 had some notable regrowth, 4 had weak regrowth, and 3 had no change or even less.

still, out of the 11 it seems that 8 had some regrowth which indicates that the drug does something positive…and with no side effects.

i don’t think that this will stop hairloss on its own but since I also use RU58841, DUT and fluridil I have a feeling that this will be a nice complement to my anti-androgenic regimen.

I was looking for something that is not anti-androgenic and not a vasodillator like minox.

Anyway, worth a try. i have a pack of 7x300mg pills of RULIT coming my way as we speak. this total of 2100 mg costs $25…that is going to be a very cheap trial.

my opinion is that hairloss drugs work much better in a combo.

Well, duh. I was looking more for a safe and reliable source that you or others have used before.

As for benji’s comment, I too thought that this study had been around for many years.

» Well, duh. I was looking more for a safe and reliable source that you or
» others have used before.
»
» As for benji’s comment, I too thought that this study had been around for
» many years.

If it worked…it would be out on the market making a huge cash killing!!! its not so its BS…NEXT!!!

This study is new , from September of 2008 .

» 1-20-1
»
»
» I seen this years ago, many years ago.
»
»
» Roxythromicyn was tested in people pre-clinically and 8 out of 11 had at
» least “some” hair regrowth, but only 4 out of 11 had “strong” hair
» regrowth.
»
»
» It was going to be tested in a larger study, but Ive seen no results ever
» since. The larger study, to take place in Japan, should have been done a
» few years ago now…and since we have heard
» nada…Im assuming it only did “OK” and nothing major.

» » Well, duh. I was looking more for a safe and reliable source that you or
» » others have used before.
» »
» » As for benji’s comment, I too thought that this study had been around
» for
» » many years.
»
» If it worked…it would be out on the market making a huge cash killing!!!
» its not so its BS…NEXT!!!

» This study is new , from September of 2008 .

Yes, you are right, 2008 Sep 27 … what I don’t understand is the final of the abstract :

" … Furthermore, topical 5% RXM solution effectively restores hair growth in about half of individuals with AGA without any local and systemic adverse effects. Therefore, RXM is new candidate as a hair restoration drug for AGA … "

Where do they get this from ? … are there any pics to back up this claim ? I will email them.

I live in Japan, not too far away from Hamamatsu in fact. I just e-mailed these guys to find out more about this. Especially why they mention 5% since they other studies mentionned 0.5%. Maybe the strenghts needs to be stronger.
I will post the answers here.

In any case, this is a human tested and widely available anti-biotic, safe and cheap for once, so I will try this anyway.

El_D:

Where did you purchase it?

Thanks

» El_D:
»
» Where did you purchase it?
»
» Thanks

from a European country, purchased in a pharmacy under the brand name RULIT (or RULID). but you can buy any generic or even real brand names over the internet if you don’t have someone who can buy it for you. I have a family member who is doctor so they can easily get me any prescribtion drugs I want.
I get my real Avodart this way.

Found this on my travels:

http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=36805&mode=full&page=6

Looks like it was tested in cream form in 2006, sounds promising but someone needs to experiment and create a topical.

Maybe crush an X amount in to minox and apply it twice a day?

just started my first application of the rox topical tonight.
i popped 4 pills of RULID, 300mg each and crushed them. Pills are easy to crush into a fine white powder.
dissolved the powder in 20ml of alcohol (96%) and added 10 ml of propylene glycol.
that should get me around the 3 to 5% mark depending on how we calculate it.

I applied this at my hairline and temples…
lets see how things turn out in a month or so.

El Dut what’s the status on your progress thus far?

» just started my first application of the rox topical tonight.
» i popped 4 pills of RULID, 300mg each and crushed them. Pills are easy to
» crush into a fine white powder.
» dissolved the powder in 20ml of alcohol (96%) and added 10 ml of propylene
» glycol.
» that should get me around the 3 to 5% mark depending on how we calculate
» it.
»
» I applied this at my hairline and temples…
» lets see how things turn out in a month or so.

i am not using it now. The reaons is that the powder of the crushed pills does not dissolve in alcohol very well. I might try to use some DMSO, but that would mean getting a lot of other things into my blood than just the active ingrediant…filler…coating…etc… not sure if this is safe long term.
I still have some un-used RULID pills, might try again at some point.

Good luck-keep me posted willya

» i am not using it now. The reaons is that the powder of the crushed pills
» does not dissolve in alcohol very well. I might try to use some DMSO, but
» that would mean getting a lot of other things into my blood than just the
» active ingrediant…filler…coating…etc… not sure if this is safe long
» term.
» I still have some un-used RULID pills, might try again at some point.