Regarding Dr Nigam\'s medical credentials (proof and links)

For all the mindless haters out there who are somehow parrotting an allegation made by one of Dr. Nigam’s competitors, Dr. Anjali, that he isn’t really a doctor and really practices some kind of Indian Ayurvedic healing (not Western medicine), here is a copy of Dr. Nigam’s official qualification as a licensed medical doctor in India, from the Indian national physicians database:

View IMR Details
Name Nigam Vivek
Father/Husband Name
Date of Birth Year of Info 1998
Registration No. 86928 Date of Reg. 23/06/1998
State Medical Council Maharashtra Medical Council
Qualification MBBS Qualification Year 1983
University Name U.Barkatullah
Permanent Address D-1/38, Vishwabharati Society, Khada, Sardar Vallabh Patel Nagar, Andheri (West), Mumbai - 53.

Furthermore, here is the link to the database page which links the above, showing that Dr. Vivek Nigam is licensed with the State of Maharashtra’s Medical Council:

http://mciindia.org/InformationDesk/IndianMedicalRegister.aspx

Here’s a link to the university where Dr. Nigam studied:

http://www.bubhopal.nic.in/

It’s funny how this whole controversy started with Dr. Anjali, who used to work for Dr. Nigam and had a legal dispute with him, and lots of people on this board are parrotting this allegation that Dr. Nigam’s not a licensed physician, without offering any proof.

Please, if you’re going to spread outright misinformation and falsehoods like that on HairSite, just go away!

Thanks for posting that Roger_that. I’m glad people will now see that info. But it won’t stop the mudslingers from attacking Dr. Nigam about this issue. The mudslingers are going to attack Dr. Nigam about anything they can think of because they’re a bunch of lying slanderers.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by roger_that[/postedby]
For all the mindless haters out there who are somehow parrotting an allegation made by one of Dr. Nigam’s competitors, Dr. Anjali, that he isn’t really a doctor and really practices some kind of Indian Ayurvedic healing (not Western medicine), here is a copy of Dr. Nigam’s official qualification as a licensed medical doctor in India, from the Indian national physicians database:

View IMR Details
Name Nigam Vivek
Father/Husband Name
Permanent Address D-1/38, Vishwabharati Society, Khada, Sardar Vallabh Patel Nagar, Andheri (West), Mumbai - 53.

Furthermore, here is the link to the database page which links the above, showing that Dr. Vivek Nigam is licensed with the State of Maharashtra’s Medical Council:

It’s funny how this whole controversy started with Dr. Anjali, who used to work for Dr. Nigam and had a legal dispute with him, and lots of people on this board are parrotting this allegation that Dr. Nigam’s not a licensed physician, without offering any proof.

Please, if you’re going to spread outright misinformation and falsehoods like that on HairSite, just go away![/quote]

Hairsite clearly is a mickey-mouse amateurish website because the moderators allow posters to character-assassinate and slander an innocent person - Dr. Nigam.

Innocent person…:smiley:

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by roger_that[/postedby]

View IMR Details
Name Nigam Vivek
Father/Husband Name

Please, if you’re going to spread outright misinformation and falsehoods like that on HairSite, just go away![/quote]

When I put in “Nigam Vivek”, I get 4 different ones, with 4 different fathers. How are we supposed to know if it’s even him ? Furthermore, that university doesn’t have a dermatology or medical faculty at all. He once claimed he studied biosciences. That’s possible. But that doesn’t make him a doctor and he surely wouldn’t be allowed to perform any kind of surgery in the western world with that

Anyway, mr Nigam mailed me, promising he’d send me over his certificates first thing tomorrow. We’ll see.

IN fact, hahaha I just saw it. IF you put in Vivek Nigam, you’ll find nothing. If you put in Nigam vivek, you’ll get 4 different ones. But if you look at the last name … It’s Vivek ! Not Nigam ! Hahaha.

Of course it’s possible that “Nigam” actually IS his first name… But that would be weird in my opinion, but maybe that’s different in India. We’ll see, tomorrow I’ll have his documents.

Wrong, the medical academic credentialing process in India is much different from North America or Western Europe.

The principal medical degree in India is called the “M.B.B.S.”, Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. Therefore it’s actually a bachelor’s degree. The degree generally awarded is therefore not an “M.D.” as in the USA and most of Europe (although I think lately in India, some universities are granting an “M.D.” degree to be more “internationally accepted”. I believe Dr. Anjali has an M.D. degree and maybe she’s using this difference to criticize Dr. Nigam. I say it’s a ridiculous difference.)

A graduate then goes on to do an internship or residency to become qualified and licensed as a doctor. The university in question does have a faculty of Biosciences.

Regarding which “Vivek Nigam” it is, it’s the one with an office address in Mumbai. Both first name and surname are fairly common in India.

From Wikipedia, regarding the MBBS degree:

A Medical College offers graduate degree MBBS. Only institutions offering MBBS course in its curriculum are referred to as a Medical Colleges. The college may teach Post Graduate as well as Paramedical courses. The admission to government MBBS programs is highly competitive because of high subsidy and extensive hands on experience.

The MBBS course starts with the basic pre-clinical subjects such as biochemistry, physiology, anatomy, microbiology, pathology and pharmacology. The students simultaneously obtain hands-on training in the wards and out-patient departments, where they interact with real patients for five long years. The curriculum aims to inculcate standard protocols of history taking, examination, differential diagnosis and Complete patient Management. The student is taught to determine what investigations will be useful for a patient and what are the best treatment options. The curriculum also contains a thorough practical knowledge and practice of performing standard clinical procedures. The course also contains a 12-month long internship, in which an intern is rotated across various specialties. Besides standard clinical care, one also gets a thorough experience of ward management, staff management and thorough counselling skills.

The degree awarded is “B achelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery”. The minimum requirements for the MBBS course are 50% marks in physics, chemistry, biology and English in the ‘10+2’ examinations. For reserved category students the requirement is 40%. MBBS admissions are not centralised. The admission requirements differ across universities. Generally, students who attain higher marks in the qualifying examinations and in the Medical Entrance examinations conducted by various agencies are accepted onto the MBBS course.

We’ll see when he mails me his certificates tomorrow. I’ll also try to contact his ex manager, ms Anjali, to hear what she has to say and if she agrees to your conclusions.

Reading back, I think her point was that he isn’t a dermatologist at all. If he studied biosciences and, unlike how that’s in the west’, also learned some things regarding surgery, then that would be at least something.

From wiki:
Medical colleges in India, accredited by the Medical Council of India, all title the degrees as MBBS. The students complete a course of four and a half years followed by one year of a compulsory rotatory internship before applying for the degree. The course is divided into four parts with only the second part lasting one and a half years. Students take an examination at the end of each part. The first part comprises pre-clinical subjects anatomy, physiology and biochemistry. The second part includes para-clinical subjects pharmacology, microbiology, pathology and forensic medicine. The third part comprises clinical subjects is divided into part I and part II comprising preventive and social medicine, ophthalmology, otorhinolaryngology and general medicine, general surgery & orthopedics, pediatrics and obstetrics and gynecology respectively. The 12 month internship is compulsory to attain both the degrees and registration with the Medical Council of India.
Following MBBS they can apply for post graduate (specialty) coarses which will be for 2 to 3 years they will receive a degree as MD, MS, DNB depending on the subjects. Following this they can also further do super specialty courses in cardiology, neurology, oncology, nephrology, gastroenterology, endocrinology, immunology, etc. for 3 more years, they will be awarded the degree as DM (medical), MCh (surgical), DNB (medical/surgical).

I think that that was her point. He never became a real doctor but stopped after his MBBS bachelor. She studied 3 years more and became actually a real dermatologist.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by myself2[/postedby]
Reading back, I think her point was that he isn’t a dermatologist at all. If he studied biosciences and, unlike how that’s in the west’, also learned some things regarding surgery, then would be at least something.[/quote]

I believe he never claimed to have a specialty in Dermatology. That’s a non-surgical specialty, by the way. In North America, most HT surgeons are surgeons, not dermatologists. Dr. Nigam is trained in medicine and surgery, having the MBBS degree (although he may not have done a postgraduate residency in surgery – apparently that doesn’t matter in India). So, he is a qualified, licensed doctor in India, having the same degree that the vast majority of Indian physicians have.

I believe Dr. Nigam has practiced Cardiology as well as Holistic Medicine in the past, before he started in Aesthetic Medicine and Hair Transplantation.

In the US, dermatology is a non-surgical specialty and sub-specialty of Internal Medicine. You have to do a separate residency to be a dermatologist.

Read my previous post. To become a MD, he would have needed to study 3 more years (and 6 more years to get specialized as DM)

Read my previous post. To become a MD, he would have needed to study 3 more years and to become a dermatologist, 6 more years.[/quote]

That’s if he started out and finished his medical education in the US system, which he did not.

Read my previous post. To become a MD, he would have needed to study 3 more years and to become a dermatologist, 6 more years.

[postedby]Originally Posted by roger_that[/postedby]
[postedby]Originally Posted by myself2[/postedby]
Read my previous post. To become a MD, he would have needed to study 3 more years and to become a dermatologist, 6 more years.

That’s if he started out and finished his medical education in the US system, which he did not.[/quote]

Not sure what you mean. It says, to become a Medical Doctor he needed to study 3 more years. He didnt. All he has is that MBBS bachelor. Which is by the way at least more than I assumed he had. But still. I now understand her complaint.

How do you know he didn’t study the 3 more years? I don’t see anything that says he didn’t.

[quote]Not sure what you mean. It says, to become a Medical Doctor he needed to study 3 more years. He didnt. All he has is that MBBS bachelor. Which is by the way at least more than I assumed he had. But still. I now understand her complaint.

How do you know he didn’t study the 3 more years? I don’t see anything that says he didn’t.[/quote]

Nope, but you don’t have proof too. And that’s exactly what Dr Anjali said. That Mr Nigam doesn’t have his MD and therefore is not a real doctor.

Let me ask you this. Would you let a guy who only has his bachelor operate on your heart ? Of course you wouldn’t. Now you could argue “but this is only hair surgery”. Sure, but at least in the Western World they don’t make that difference. You’re only allowed to perform ANY kind of surgery if you have a Master degree. Not just bachelor.

[quote]Nope, but you don’t have proof too. And that’s exactly what Dr Anjali said. That Mr Nigam doesn’t have his MD and therefore is not a real doctor.

Let me ask you this. Would you let a guy who only has his bachelor operate on your heart ? Of course you wouldn’t. Now you could argue “but this is only hair surgery”. Sure, but at least in the Western World they don’t make that difference. You’re only allowed to perform ANY kind of surgery if you have a Master degree. Not just bachelor.[/quote]

Dr. Nigam wouldn’t be listed in that physicians database if he weren’t academically and legally qualified to be a doctor, having all the required degrees and training.

You are totally misinterpreting everything and twisting all the facts to suit a conclusion you’ve drawn already, and you’re selectively using US-type standards to measure Dr. Nigam’s qualifications.

You are either one of the stupidest people I’ve encoutered ever on this site, or you’re deliberately denying the facts the same way people did with Obama’s birth certificate.

No amount of proof from Dr. Nigam himself is going to please you because you just hate Dr. Nigam for some reason.

[quote]Nope, but you don’t have proof too. And that’s exactly what Dr Anjali said. That Mr Nigam doesn’t have his MD and therefore is not a real doctor.

Let me ask you this. Would you let a guy who only has his bachelor operate on your heart ? Of course you wouldn’t. Now you could argue “but this is only hair surgery”. Sure, but at least in the Western World they don’t make that difference. You’re only allowed to perform ANY kind of surgery if you have a Master degree. Not just bachelor.

Dr. Nigam wouldn’t be listed in that physicians database if he weren’t academically and legally qualified to be a doctor, having all the required degrees and training.

You are totally misinterpreting everything and twisting all the facts to suit a conclusion you’ve drawn already, and you’re selectively using US-type standards to measure Dr. Nigam’s qualifications.

You are either one of the stupidest people I’ve encoutered ever on this site, or you’re deliberately denying the facts the same way people did with Obama’s birth certificate.

No amount of proof from Dr. Nigam himself is going to please you because you just hate Dr. Nigam for some reason.[/quote]

What part of that difference between MBBS and MD don’t you understand exactly ? Unless you (or mr Nigam himself) shows me proof he actually has a MD certificate, he’s not a doctor. What a world would it be if everyone who had a bachelor could call himself doctor.