Rare 7 hair graft with CIT

Strip is unethical. There is no reason for it and it destroys your option to shave your head. I’ve seen a guy with a bad hair transplant shave his head. This guy had a strip and you can see a hideous scar running all along the back of his head including the stiches scar (very clearly visible).

It looked like a large smiley. Exactly like the mouth of Jack Skellington below. Imagine having this guy’s mouth on the back of your shaved head. The only up side to it would be that you could put 2 eyez on it and you’d look like the fellow below

» Forhair’s intention might not be to slander strip, and his/her
» personal preference might be FUE. However, you twist it or back it, the
» bottomline is, the statement was loosely worded without careful thought.
» It’s ok if it’s from an independent poster, but if it comes from someone
» who is representing a Clinic, more discretion and thought is required-- a
» prospective patient might construe it as a fact!

I am what i am, i am a patient too…just like you, why is your opinion counts and mine not?
I am not american, in my country people speak stright and whatever they think is true, sometimes it’s good but somteimes there are people that might interperate it in a wrong way…:slight_smile: i love FUE, i am not hiding it, i had it and it’s great.
As a represntetive i was polite enough not to mention names of clinics that produce bad strip scars…i was 5 years in the US and i saw houndreds of bad HT and scars that you will not imagine…well, considering that i think that i am very moderated. I take things easy but i am sure that some others that will see stuff like that will take it in a different way…espacially the patient who had it.
However, i must emphasize that also FUE can produce bad results in the wrong hands. and i have seen that too. bad FUE is more reversible then a bad strip tho.

» I suppose Dr. Cole had to switch to a larger punch in order to take out a 7
» hair graft?

I think that goes without saying, I don’t believe he has a one size fits all punch for everyone.

Great job, never seen a 7 hair graft before.

We have had our share of 6 hair grafts, but even those type grafts are extremely rare.

I would not be suprised if a 0.8 mm punch was used, at least that is the maximum size we use and we are able to get 6 hair grafts.

FUE rules !

I’m not trying to be a jerk here, but can you please explain the significance of a 7 hair graft. I could easily ask a doctor to use a 4mm punch and pull out a 20 hair graft, but that doesn’t mean I would want it stuck back into my hairline, regardless of how much money it would have saved me

» I’m not trying to be a jerk here, but can you please explain the
» significance of a 7 hair graft. I could easily ask a doctor to use a 4mm
» punch and pull out a 20 hair graft, but that doesn’t mean I would want it
» stuck back into my hairline, regardless of how much money it would have
» saved me

Someone posted this earlier, the patient saves money because it will be counted as 1 graft if the doctor decides to transplant the 7 hair graft as is without dissecting it into smaller units. That’s the only advantage I can think of.

» I’m not trying to be a jerk here, but can you please explain the
» significance of a 7 hair graft. I could easily ask a doctor to use a 4mm
» punch and pull out a 20 hair graft, but that doesn’t mean I would want it
» stuck back into my hairline, regardless of how much money it would have
» saved me

Mostly, it’s just very unusual/interesting to find a follicular unit (a naturally occurring grouping of hair) containing this many hairs. Large grafts such as this definitely wouldn’t be placed in the patient’s hairline, as this would look incredibly unnatural. However, you could see the benefit for a patient who has very high calculated density (average number of hairs per follicular unit), as they would be able to achieve amazing results with a fraction of the grafts needed to give anyone else the same density.

Amazingly, Dr. Cole extracted another 7-hair follicular unit from a different patient this morning.

» Amazingly, Dr. Cole extracted another 7-hair follicular unit from a
» different patient this morning.

now this one is a bad picture, it’s too big, I have no idea what I am looking at.

» now this one is a bad picture, it’s too big, I have no idea what I am
» looking at.

Oops- fixed it!

This reminds me of the old Plug days. This would not look natural in any area of the scalp. Look at a natural head of hair. No person has 7 hairs growing out in one area. Bad Idea. This industry needs new Ideas not to revert to the 80’s grafting. Who in their right mind would sign up for this? Who will be the next guinea patient?

» This reminds me of the old Plug days. This would not look natural in any
» area of the scalp. Look at a natural head of hair. No person has 7 hairs
» growing out in one area. Bad Idea. This industry needs new Ideas not to
» revert to the 80’s grafting. Who in their right mind would sign up for
» this? Who will be the next guinea patient?

I would like to see a pic of what it looks looks like in the scalp before it is removed?

» This reminds me of the old Plug days. This would not look natural in any
» area of the scalp. Look at a natural head of hair. No person has 7 hairs
» growing out in one area. Bad Idea. This industry needs new Ideas not to
» revert to the 80’s grafting. Who in their right mind would sign up for
» this? Who will be the next guinea patient?

7-hair follicular groups are quite uncommon but they certainly can occur naturally (as you can see from these two grafts that were extracted from two different patients’ donor regions.) Whether the grafts would produce natural-looking results when transplanted all depends on the patient’s hair characteristics (it would look more natural in someone with fine vs course hair) and where the graft is placed (anything greater than a 1-hair graft tends to look unnatural on the hairline). If a particular patient had very course hair, they might require fractionation of such a large graft to achieve the most natural result.

A naturally-occurring 7-hair follicular unit is not really comparable to a ‘plug’, as a 4mm plug typically contained 12 to 15 natural follicular groups, containing on average 40 hairs. This was obviously a poor and unnatural solution to treating hair loss from the very beginning.

What benefit does extracting a 7 hair graft give the patient especially if it needs to be dissected? How big was the punch that was used to extract this graft and is it really worth the potential scarring of the patient just to show that it can be done. Any increase in density from 2/7 hair grafts is going to be neglible so why take the risk?

It’s almost like see what I can do, at the expense of the patient, but please correct me if I am wrong. I am far from an expert and just using basic logic.

» What benefit does extracting a 7 hair graft give the patient especially if
» it needs to be dissected? How big was the punch that was used to extract
» this graft and is it really worth the potential scarring of the patient
» just to show that it can be done. Any increase in density from 2/7 hair
» grafts is going to be neglible so why take the risk?
»
» It’s almost like see what I can do, at the expense of the patient, but
» please correct me if I am wrong. I am far from an expert and just using
» basic logic.

First, one cannot necessarily determine the size of the graft that is being removed simply by looking on the surface. This is because all the hairs exit from one or two orifices and combine together.; this is how hairs exit the scalp in natural groups. The ability to extract intact follicular groups is one the primary advantages to CIT because we are able to achieve better coverage with fewer grafts.

I didn’t state that this group would necessarily be broken down into smaller parts although it is possible to do so. Alternatively, one could leave the group intact and relocate it to the top of the scalp (again it would never go along the hairline and probably wouldn’t work in the crown). It all depends on the purpose of the graft and the needs of the individual patient. Once again, this is a natural follicular group and there is absolutely nothing wrong with relocating this group intact to the recipient area in the appropriate situation.

It is good that you brought up your concerns about fractionating this group because this is exactly what happens with every strip procedure that is performed. Obviously natural follicular groups consisting of 5 or more hairs do not only occur in FUE cases. They occur in all patients, but with strip patients, the follicular groups are broken into smaller pieces resulting in patients paying two or more times for the same follicular group. This same 7-hair follicular group could be removed via a tiny incision or it could be taken out with an incision that is over 1 cm in width, over 1 cm in depth, and over 30 cm in length. Clearly the second option is going to leave the worse scarring.

How big was the punch that was used to extract this graft?

» How big was the punch that was used to extract this graft?

I agree with topcat’s question. How large was the punch used in this situation?

Actually… and in my opinion… this IS a rare graft… no matter the punch size… I haven’t seen more than a 5 haired graft before… with any punch from a diameter of 0.8-1.3mm… So congrats on the find… You can tell this particular graft has follicles that are tightly wound together. :slight_smile:

» They occur in all patients, but with
» strip patients, the follicular groups are broken into smaller pieces
» resulting in patients paying two or more times for the same follicular
» group.
Emilie,
Dr. Cole has performed strip procedures before, you also said he performs it on rare cases now. So does the comment above applies for the strip procedures performed by your clinic? If you keep repeating the above comment all over the forum, you’re ethically obliged to answer this.
Arvin

» First, one cannot necessarily determine the size of the graft that is
» being removed simply by looking on the surface. This is because all the
» hairs exit from one or two orifices and combine together.; this is how
» hairs exit the scalp in natural groups.

I thought one of the advantages of fue is that you can cherry pick 1,2,or 3-hair follicular unit from the donor, but now you are telling me it cannot be easily determined?