Question regarding BHT

Allot of people have said that the more body hairs you transplant into the scalp the lower the yield.If a patient had a massive amount of chest hair, what IS the most number of hairs that can be transplanted into his scalp in one time ?
I don’t care if the session is spead out over a number of days but is there a limit to how much you can transplant to ensure a good result ?

» Allot of people have said that the more body hairs you transplant into the
» scalp the lower the yield.If a patient had a massive amount of chest
» hair, what IS the most number of hairs that can be transplanted into his
» scalp in one time ?
» I don’t care if the session is spead out over a number of days but is
» there a limit to how much you can transplant to ensure a good result ?

Ive never heard of any sort of limit.

This is a good question for Dr. Cole. I believe that he has done some studies on the subject. I guess the quickest way to ask him a question is on the forum on his website. Perhaps Dr. Umar might have some opinions on this as well.

There have been studies that suggest that placing a high density of hairs in a square centimeter can negatively affect the yield. There haven’t been many studies like this for body hair. Here is one: http://www.forhair.com/hairtransplant/topic1119.html#4447

If you are concerned about high density affecting yield, you could go with a lower density for your first session, and then fill in the rest of the density in a second session. The time between session needs to be longer than a couple of days, usually patients are given enough time for the scalp and hairs to heal before hitting the area again.

Having consultations with doctors who specialize in BHT can help you to find the best options for your individual situation.

Very informative.This forum needs more people like you,people who have something to contribute to this forum other then personal attacks.

Hi Jessica and Damon:

First; Good to see you posting again Jessica. Before this forum changed formats, you asked how my hair is doing;
Recap:
I had the 200 scalp FIT + 1200 BHT with Dr. Cole in December of 2005 where I met Jessica, (top of the line lady by the way). In July of 2006, I participated in the BHT density growth study. Those are photos of my head, Jessica posted.
I originally had work done by Bosley in the late 70s, before the Internet. You can see some of the pluggy tufts in the photos. In December of 2006, I had approx. 2000 BHT (leg hair) with Dr. Cole.
Today at about 5 months post-op from that surgery, things are really looking up. The great thing about being a part of this BHT density/growth study is, general best-practice principles were confirmed. We now know the best course of action for my future surgeries. That is low density, multiple pass, sagittal slit.

I shot video of myself the other day and edited together my (Dr. Cole) pre-op photos. There is a dramatic difference. Hair grows so slow that one often needs to take a look at their pre-op photos to really appreciate the improvement. I am very happy with my progress and Dr. Cole being the perfectionist he is, tells me, I still have a long way to go. Body hair does grow, and I look about 15 years younger than I did in Dec. 05 (at least I think so). The encouraging thing is, The BHT grafts taken so far haven’t even made a dent in my donor supply. With every surgery, my hair looks fuller. I have been told in my case, “the sky’s the limit”.

I’m kind of going back and forth regarding posting the video I shot. Although there is a great improvement, the challenge has been camoflaging the 1970s Bosley inflicted hairline. Dr. Cole has done a tremendous job in blending it so far, but it does not yet come up to his high standard.

Other than that, You can definitely see that I have a lot more hair. I am very encouraged.

If I get some requests, I may go ahead and post the video, but with the understanding that I am a repair patient in progress.

Glad to hear that you are doing so well :slight_smile: You are definitely in good hands. See you soon.

nthmainneighbor wrote: “the challenge has been camoflaging the 1970s Bosley inflicted hairline.”

You put it elegantly into words. …“Inflicted”. Thats pretty much what Bosely did throughout the seventies and eighties and most of the nineties.

Whenever you get the chance, I hope you post a video or pictures of your before status and detailed explanations of your latest pictures or videos expaining why your doing multiple passes (better growth and yield) and how its working for you.

The more info the better for anyone reading and learning. BHT practioners may not fully realize it, but they are doing the world of dermatology a favor as we will learn a great deal about skin and hair growth through transferring hairs to the scalp and what roles various endocrine hormones play in skin. WE will even learn about the skin the body hair has been extracted from and how it behaves over the years with the body hairs taken out.