Possible Testing Methods for Acell

Guys,

I’ve read a few posts where forum members propose possible techniques that they think should be utilized when experimenting with Acell. I think that it should be tested in several ways to determine which (if any) benefits the patient the most. I think that we should develop several testing techniques that can be utilized in experimenting with Acell…list those techniques in an organized, easily understandable fashion…and e-mail that list to the same list of doctors that we have already established. It may spark an idea in them that they may not have considered (remember, they’re only human). I am going to start by copying / pasting a post from the HT forum where a member described an idea using punch grafts.

Take Care,
Bill

1) Punch Grafts…posted by Dastardly

Jotronic has been kind enough to enter the debate on the use of ACELL with HT. Having the rep from possibly the world’s premiere clinic discuss this exciting development is much appreciated.

He mentioned using the strip IN the wound to try and create no-scar (and possibly a little hair).

This is exciting, and the alternative (leaving the strip open and applying the matrix to the open wound in the hope of regrowing the donor area with hair) just seems so invasive I can’t imagine any Doctor wanting to test it (or a patient wanting to risk it).

I have a feeling that it won’t be much use with FUE - obviously I have no evidence - it’s just a gut feeling - but I suspect FUE wounds are too small for it to do any good. I suspect it may prevent scarring, but I doubt you’d grow a single follicle in the hole, in which case you’d still get the gap.

So how about using an old technology to test it - namely the old “plug punch.” The plug can be broken down into follicular units so the patient still gets a normal result in the recipient.

However, the punch hole could be left open and ACELL applied. The hole may be big enough to test what happens with open wounds in the donor area. Yet if it doesn’t work and the patient is left with bare skin or somesuch, such wounds can easily be sutured shut at a later date or, alternatively, removed as part of a later strip. It’s a low risk way of testing the dust.

There is also no ethical issues with this either, as leaving plug wounds open to heal was standard procedure in the bad old days. If they did it then, they could do it now - albeit with the ACELL material over the top.

Besides, I’m only talking 2 or 3 holes - even in a worst case scenario, such minor scars could easily be repaired or taken out at a later date.

Opinions?

2) Placing Acell Sheet Inside Strip and Suturing Closed…Posted by Jotronic

Joe Tillman (Hair Transplant)
posted by jotronic , 03.08.2008, 22:19

Well, I’ll just dish out what I know. Acell is confident that their product will regrow however there is a caveat. For all the tissue and hair to grow back the wound needs to heal like an open wound. The matrix sheet would be stitched on at the edges to hold it in place then the wound would have to be kept moist. Redressing would be necessary every few days so you’d need to be near the clinic for a few weeks. I was told complete regeneration should appear, and finished in about five weeks.

On the other hand, and I think this is much more practical, the sheets could be placed inside the wound, close it up, then let it heal like any strip wound then it should result in no scar and some hair in the narrow area that regenerated. This is not my hypothesis, this is that of the VP of Acell as I’ve spoken to him about this recently. So, in the case of scar tissue, the scar could be cut out, then the matrix sheet (applied over the powerder), then the area should heal up as if nothing was ever done. Again, this is from the mouth of the VP of Acell, not me. This is what he came to after I explained in more detail the nature of the procedure. So, while some tissue would be regenerated it would only be enough to fill the void where scar tissue would normally have formed.

And by the way, Z22, I don’t think you meant it like this but for our patients there is no real drawback from our procedure. They don’t really mind the scar because they are not head shavers else we wouldn’t be booked for a couple of months out.

That’s all I got guys and like I said it is pretty much straight from Acell and not conjecture on my part.

Joe Tillman
aka, Jotronic
Hasson & Wong

www.hairtransplanttv.com
Joe@HassonandWong.com

The Truth Is In The Results
7917 FU Grafts

3) Placing Acell at a Depth to Stimulate Dormant Hair Follicles…Posted by Rev

That’s what I’ve been saying for weeks (but it got lost among these threads). My question still remains: How can we get Acell to the depth of those dormant hair follicles, and does it actually have potential via stand-alone application? If not, could Acell be used in combination with something else to stimulate hair growth?

I was joking around with hanging about Aderans’ newest experiments on pigs, BUT than I started thinking about one line in their PDF.
“Cells were combined with Matrigel™ (a surrogate extracellular matrix) and implanted at various depths.”

Aderans used an extracellular matrix to improve the efficacy of their cell injections. Could we do the same with a combination of Acell (an extracellular matrix) along with Rogaine, or some other product (natural or otherwise). Could Acell act as a catalyst to improve the efficacy of currently available products? How could we make Acell more soluble? How would we get it to the depth of those dormant hair follicles?

I would first try FUE wounds. You say that these wounds are “too small” and it won’t work. But you don’t know for sure. So first I would try this.
If this doesn’t work, then try the bigger “punch holes”.
In any case, the holes would be left open to cure. No stitching. Just apply the dust.

Even better would be to do the holes inside a former strip scar for reference purposes. This way you don’t need a tatoo to locate the wound, because the scar indicates the location. Use a singular point of the scar (for example, close to either end of the scar).

I have done a simple drawing:

should be here:

I would like to see a VERY Small Strip procedure done…maybe a quater inch by a half inch…On hair bearing scalp…this small of a section could be cut out and sutured up if it didnt work…although I guess this is pretty much similar to the larger punch graft idea. How practical it would be to perform a larger strip and allow Acell to regrow the donor area on regular patients, Im not sure ??? If it was proven to work consistently to regrow the donor area…but I had to be layed up 5 or so weeks to do it…I think I would find a way…Its not the “CURE” we are all hoping for…but if it worked to give “unlimited” donor hair I know I would be estatic

Its not the “CURE”
» we are all hoping for…but if it worked to give “unlimited” donor hair I
» know I would be estatic

Speak 4 urself.If I can cut out the scar tissue in my donor area & have it replaced with hair then this is the answer 2 all my problems.I’ll shave my head & move on with my life.There r thousands of guys out there like me who will benefit immensely from this.

As I mentioned on the surgery forum,my main fear is cancer & how our immune system will respond 2 the matrix & dust.
This is an exciting idea but there is still allot of unknown questions.I only hope some brave soul is willing 2 become a guinea pig 4 these experiments so we can have some answers soon.

» I would like to see a VERY Small Strip procedure done…maybe a
» quater inch by a half inch…On hair bearing scalp…this small of a
» section could be cut out and sutured up if it didnt work…although I
» guess this is pretty much similar to the larger punch graft idea. How
» practical it would be to perform a larger strip and allow Acell to regrow
» the donor area on regular patients, Im not sure ??? If it was proven to
» work consistently to regrow the donor area…but I had to be layed up 5
» or so weeks to do it…I think I would find a way…Its not the “CURE”
» we are all hoping for…but if it worked to give “unlimited” donor hair I
» know I would be estatic

Im kinda thinking along these lines myself

Better design:

2 or 3 holes at one end of the strip.
One hole in scar tissue, the other holes outside the scar tissue, in hairy tissue. Could make a difference.

Each hole could be a punch hole or a group of FUEs.