Pinacidil (potassium channel opener)

hi! recently i read a little bit for potassium channel openers and saw this thing about leo company…

Treatment type: Unknown / Rumor says that it is a Potassium Channel Opener similar to Minoxidil but more effective (reported by two sources not linked to company).
Testing Progress : Animal safety studies completed.
Small scale human studies now underway supposedly to be completed summer 1999 and announced in October or November of 1999.
Clinical Results : Unknown (Rumored reports to be 3x more effective than Minoxidil 2%)
Notes : There is not much specific information available yet so it is hard to determine how likely it is that this will be an effective treatment.

The following email was sent to us, but has not been confirmed yet by Leo. We are now in contact with Leo and hope to have more information as well as confirmation of this soon:

"I visitied Leo Pharm. quite recently. They told us briefly about their product. Since they told us, I guess these things are not a secret.

They said that minoxidil is not working for 50% of men because there is an enzyme in the skin that transforms minoxidil to a potassium channel opener, and in 50% of men this enzyme is lacking. On the contrary, Leo´s product works directly as a potassiun channel opener and therefor is more effective. Judging from a slide that they briefly showed, Leo´s product (called p1075) works 3 times better than minoxidil 2%.

I cannot confirm any of these fact [sic]"

after some googling i found pinacidil that it is to some patents. Pindac (Pinacidil) Leo Pharma and also to this link it says leo labroratories…is this the pco that they r trying?has anyone searched it in the past.? cause english is not my native language sorry for my describing way… thanks

» Testing Progress : Animal safety studies completed.
» Small scale human studies now underway supposedly to be completed summer
and announced in October or November of 1999.
» Clinical Results : Unknown (Rumored reports to be 3x more effective than
» Minoxidil 2%)
» Notes : There is not much specific information available yet so it is hard
» to determine how likely it is that this will be an effective treatment.

This looks like really old news - 1999? that’s 10 years ago. If this drug worked we would definitely have heard about it.

Related Study comparing Minox and Pinacidil

http://www.ionchannels.org/showabstract.php?pmid=7999667&redirect=yes&terms=pinacidil+hair