One thing i worry about with ACEL

i was reading that it regrew a thumb that had been almost completely lost, but the new regrown thumb didn’t have fingerprints. it seems to me that fingerprints are DETAIL and it also seems to me that hair is DETAIL. And if it couldn’t regrow fingerprints then it might not be able to regrow hair.

» i was reading that it regrew a thumb that had been almost completely lost,
» but the new regrown thumb didn’t have fingerprints. it seems to me that
» fingerprints are DETAIL and it also seems to me that hair is DETAIL. And
» if it couldn’t regrow fingerprints then it might not be able to regrow
» hair.

Seriously?? Wow man, you were able to deduce that fingerprints are DETAIL, and hair is DETAIL, and somehow they are related…amazing. Your head is DETAIL and your ass is DETAIL…that must be why your head is shoved up your ass. Makes about as much sense.

» hair.

Ok all you doctors and scientists. Throw out all your fancy words like dermal papilla cells, fibroblasts, hair follicles, etc. It’s all just DETAIL and its all related.

Seriously though, if you are looking for a relationship, look at the nail. Hair and nails are related…and supposedly the lost finger regrew the nail.

» » i was reading that it regrew a thumb that had been almost completely
» lost,
» » but the new regrown thumb didn’t have fingerprints. it seems to me
» that
» » fingerprints are DETAIL and it also seems to me that hair is DETAIL.
» And
» » if it couldn’t regrow fingerprints then it might not be able to regrow
» » hair.
»
» Ok all you doctors and scientists. Throw out all your fancy words like
» dermal papilla cells, fibroblasts, hair follicles, etc. It’s all just
» DETAIL and its all related.
»
» Seriously though, if you are looking for a relationship, look at the nail.
» Hair and nails are related…and supposedly the lost finger regrew the
» nail.

The original Acell story (the one that get’s the most publicity) is the one of the older gentleman (Lee Spievack) that lost a fingertip (not a thumb). A part of his nail bed was intact, and he regenerated his fingerprint.

» Your head is DETAIL and your ass is DETAIL…

AHAHAHAHAHHAHA :smiley: :smiley:

» » » i was reading that it regrew a thumb that had been almost completely
» » lost,
» » » but the new regrown thumb didn’t have fingerprints. it seems to me
» » that
» » » fingerprints are DETAIL and it also seems to me that hair is DETAIL.
» » And
» » » if it couldn’t regrow fingerprints then it might not be able to
» regrow
» » » hair.
» »
» » Ok all you doctors and scientists. Throw out all your fancy words like
» » dermal papilla cells, fibroblasts, hair follicles, etc. It’s all just
» » DETAIL and its all related.
» »
» » Seriously though, if you are looking for a relationship, look at the
» nail.
» » Hair and nails are related…and supposedly the lost finger regrew the
» » nail.
»
» The original Acell story (the one that get’s the most publicity) is the
» one of the older gentleman (Lee Spievack) that lost a fingertip (not a
» thumb). A part of his nail bed was intact, and he regenerated his
» fingerprint.
»
»

Yet more Hairsite-generated Acell hype. He would have regrown the tip without Acell. The last time this was debated (for the 10th time), I posted the following link to a study that examined the regeneration of fingertips. It is not an uncommon phenomena:

“The phenomenon of fingertip regeneration in humans was initially described for children, but later shown to extend to adults. For both children and adults, regeneration of the fingertip involves the integrated regeneration of many tissues, including nail matrix, nail bed, finger pulp, sensory organs, dermis and epidermis, all of which reform to a normal or near normal cosmetic and physiological state through healing by secondary intention. Animal models for digit tip regeneration in adults demonstrate distal bone growth associated with a regeneration response. There also several documented instances of regeneration of the distal phalangeal element of the toe following traumatin injury or voluntary resection to relieve hammer toe, thus, it would appear that the regenerative capabilities in human limbs includes the tips of both fingers and toes.”

http://course1.winona.edu/lreuter/309/ab00/Regeneratio.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s2262894.htm

Pixie Bulldust
Watch Pixie Bulldust [G, 4:00min.] (Help):

Play The video

And lack of scepticism is the problem with this classic medical miracle yarn.

Anton Enus: Coming up.

Lee Spievack: It took off probably about that much of the finger.

Anton Enus: The medical breakthrough that helped this man regrow a severed finger.

— SBS, World News Australia, 1st May, 2008

The story aired by SBS World News was filed by the BBC’s New York reporter Matthew Price. It was about Lee Spievack, of Cincinnati, Ohio, who had the tip of his finger sliced off by a model aeroplane.

Matthew Price: The photos of his severed finger are pretty graphic. You can understand why doctors said he’d lost it for good. But it grew back with the help of a mystery powder. Nerves, tissue, blood vessels, skin in just four weeks. Miracle man sprinkles miracle powder on his finger.

Lee Spievack: Maybe they call it pixie dust.

Matthew Price: Exactly, they call it pixie dust, they sprinkle, and it grew back.

The pixie dust, the story went on to explain, was actually stuff called extra-cellular matrix, developed from pig’s bladders at the University of Pittsburgh.

And the BBC illustrated its alleged powers with this remarkable graphic:

Matthew Price: Normally when we are wounded, we scar, but the scientists say putting the extra-cellular matrix on the wound stimulates the cells to regrow instead.

Pretty amazing, eh? But there were a few things Matthew Price didn’t tell his viewers. First, that doctors have been using extra-cellular matrix to help regenerate tissue since the 1990s.

Second, that Lee Spievack’s accident happened way back in 2005, and was extensively reported, in America and in Australia, in early 2007 - for example in Sydney’s Sun-Herald.

Medical miracle at our fingertips

— Sun-Herald, Medical miracle at our fingertips, 25th February, 2007

The Sun-Herald accurately pointed out that:

…while the scientists know that the compound can regrow tissue, not bone, they are not sure how it works. It means they cannot regrow a complete finger.

— Sun-Herald, Medical miracle at our fingertips, 25th February, 2007

You wouldn’t have guessed that from the BBC’s ridiculous graphic. And there’s another thing the BBC’s TV News report didn’t mention. The company that owned the patent on the powder that Lee Spievack sprinkled on his finger was owned by his brother Alan; and the expert interviewed in the story was that company’s senior Scientific Adviser.

None of those details rated a mention either on ABC News, when it ran its own version of the pixie dust story - complete with the miraculous BBC graphic.

At least ABC Medical reporter Sophie Scott took the trouble to consult local experts. But they hardly made matters clearer.

Sophie Scott: According to Australian doctors the reason the treatment worked was because the patient’s finger, bone and nail remained intact.

Dr Peter Maitz (Burns Expert): The finger pulp in fact, no bone, no muscle or no nail part has been regrown and that is possible, yes.

— ABC, Sydney News, 1st May, 2008

Que? But we saw Lee Spievack show us that this much finger was removed.

Meanwhile, back in England, the BBC story had sparked some scathing criticism - for example, from Dr Ben Goldacre in The Guardian.

The missing finger that never was

— Guardian, The missing finger that never was, 3rd May, 2008

He quoted a professor of hand surgery:

“It looked to have been an ordinary fingertip injury with quite unremarkable healing. This is junk science.”

— Guardian, The missing finger that never was, 3rd May, 2008

Read “The missing finger that never was”, Guardian, 3rd May, 2008.

It certainly wasn’t news - just another reheated chestnut of a miracle yarn, with no verification, no clinical trial, and no peer-reviewed publication to back it.

ABC News told Media Watch:

…the story was circumspect, but with the benefit of the additional information, I doubt we would have run it at all.

— Email from Craig McMurtrie (Head of Network Coverage, ABC News) to Media Watch

Read Craig McMurtrie’s response to Media Watch’s questions.

The ABC has added an “editor’s note” to its website. And the BBC has heavily qualified its own story.

Read “‘Pixie dust’ brings scientists closer to growing limbs”, ABC News online, 1st May, 2008.

EP16, 2008 Transcripts 2/06/2008
Normie’s Dodgy Draft Mystery Solved
Pixie Bulldust
Heralding A Controversy

© 2008 ABC | Privacy Policy

» Yet more Hairsite-generated Acell hype. He would have regrown the tip
» without Acell. The last time this was debated (for the 10th time), I posted
» the following link to a study that examined the regeneration of fingertips.
» It is not an uncommon phenomena:

Your article is moot since Acell is being tested on humans specifically for hairloss as we speak. We know strip surgery causes scars - we’ll see if Acell can repair them. We know hair won’t grow naturally in those scars - we’ll see if Acell will grow anything. comprende? verstehen sie? comprenez? understand?

Besides, why do you care? You have a full head of hair and said you had no interest posting here?

» hair.

you’re pretty good at worrying, keep it up man :slight_smile:

If you cut the tip of your finger off how likely is it to grow back perfectly formed if you try to grow it back naturaly? not very.
My father is a carpenter and he has dozens of friends with cut off fingertips and severed fingers etc heck one of his best friends is down to about 2 fingers left lol, not one single one of them has grown back to what you could call a cosmetically acceptable finger tip.
It will most probably grow back as a heavily scared stump.
With acell the wounds healed a lot better and the presence of any scar is non existant.
Acell and other ecm’s grow back damaged local tissue, fact.
Your body can do this to some extent but not very well as it will scar much much faster and more heavily to prevent infection etc.

Acell just gives your body a helping hand at what it can do naturally, it grows nothing as a ‘stand alone miracle’ but when your body heals it will help to heal with fresh tissue rather than scar over.

» lost,
» that
» And
» » hair.
»
» Seriously?? Wow man, you were able to deduce that fingerprints are
» DETAIL, and hair is DETAIL, and somehow they are related…amazing. Your
» head is DETAIL and your ass is DETAIL…that must be why your head is
» shoved up your ass. Makes about as much sense.

Seriously? You were able to deduce that my head is up my ass because I think there’s a chance that hair and fingerprints as the final touches in tissue regowth??? Your head is empty and your ass is a home for cock so your a dumbass with a cock up his ass. And that is what makes sense.

» lost,
» that
» And
» » hair.
»
» Ok all you doctors and scientists. Throw out all your fancy words like
» dermal papilla cells, fibroblasts, hair follicles, etc. It’s all just
» DETAIL and its all related.
»
» Seriously though, if you are looking for a relationship, look at the nail.
» Hair and nails are related…and supposedly the lost finger regrew the
» nail.

“supposedly” the lost finger regrew a nail. Since you used the word “supposedly” does that mean you aren’t even sure it did grow a nail? That issue aside, these scientific terms are fine but don’t forget that science sometimes makes predictions based on past findings but sometimes scientists learn new things when they do research/scientific work. When I say that fingerprints and hair are both detail I mean that they both seem to be “finishing touches” of the tissue. I do not specifically mean that they are both the same thing. Of course they are not.

BTW if this experiment does not work what will you blame it on? Will you blame it on Acell just not being able to replace “finishing touches” or “detail” or will you blame it on black magic?

» » » i was reading that it regrew a thumb that had been almost completely
» » lost,
» » » but the new regrown thumb didn’t have fingerprints. it seems to me
» » that
» » » fingerprints are DETAIL and it also seems to me that hair is DETAIL.
» » And
» » » if it couldn’t regrow fingerprints then it might not be able to
» regrow
» » » hair.
» »
» » Ok all you doctors and scientists. Throw out all your fancy words like
» » dermal papilla cells, fibroblasts, hair follicles, etc. It’s all just
» » DETAIL and its all related.
» »
» » Seriously though, if you are looking for a relationship, look at the
» nail.
» » Hair and nails are related…and supposedly the lost finger regrew the
» » nail.
»
» The original Acell story (the one that get’s the most publicity) is the
» one of the older gentleman (Lee Spievack) that lost a fingertip (not a
» thumb). A part of his nail bed was intact, and he regenerated his
» fingerprint.
»
»

Someone posted that he didn’t regrow fingerprints and that’s what I was worried about. If Acel will even regrow fingerprints I think that is a very good sign.

» lost,
» that
» And
» » hair.
»
» you’re pretty good at worrying, keep it up man :slight_smile:

silly post

» lost,
» that
» And
» » hair.
»
» you’re pretty good at worrying, keep it up man :slight_smile:

Is he really manless ?

I have a friend with several whacked fingertips from a power tool accident years ago. Just a fraction of an inch off the tips, much like the Acell experiment.

His fingertips did indeed regenerate w/o Acell. But they sure as hell didn’t come back looking like the Acell results. They’re permanently deformed & shorter now.

last update from the soldiers using it was that indeed it grow grow a couple mms of new tissue, again i think the initial test should have been with a regular strip or revision,

» Seriously? You were able to deduce that my head is up my ass because I
» think there’s a chance that hair and fingerprints as the final touches in
» tissue regowth??? Your head is empty and your ass is a home for cock so
» your a dumbass with a cock up his ass. And that is what makes sense.

I was able to deduce your head is up you ass because you post stupid $hit.

So you are saying you want to stick your cock in my ass? Wow, man, maybe we should have dinner first.

»
» I was able to deduce your head is up you ass because you post stupid
» $hit.

So says the man with an empty head and a cock up his ass.

»
» So you are saying you want to stick your cock in my ass? Wow, man, maybe
» we should have dinner first.

My post said nothing about MY cock up your ass, but I guess you were too stupid to comprehend my post, or else you were dreaming. If it’s the latter; forget it! Also, your comment about having dinner first before cock up your ass is too much information. Nobody wants to know.

By the way dumbass it’s ACELL not ACEL. If you are so concerned with DETAIL maybe you should pay attention to it.