News since 2010?

hi guys

I’ve been a long time poster/lurker of this site (since 2003), but I don’t come here often since a few years.

What’s new around here ? Where are we in 2015 in the hair loss pipe dream industry ?

Are there any new treatments available or promising cures closer than “five years away” ?

Anything ?

Any snakeoil topical who has a decent effectiveness ?

Thanks for your recap !

cheers

Kytheras drug Setipiprant going into trials for hair loss based on the Pgd2 findings from Dr. Cots. Board members of the hairloss community looking for a legit Set supplier.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by FatalEvolution[/postedby]
hi guys

…Where are we in 2015 in the hair loss pipe dream industry ?
[/quote]

Pretty much where we were in 2010.

IMO the current state of the HM race is worse than 5 years ago if anything.

In 2010 Aderans was still moving forward. They were the biggest player for the last decade. They’re totally dead now. $150 million down the drain.

Follica isn’t technically dead but we have lost most of the initial big hopes it generated. Dr. Cotsarelis is not a total freud in the research sense, but when it comes to near-term claims & leaking info he has basically proven to be full of crap. I wouldn’t trust his word about his progress either way.

Replicel & Histogen are still around and they rank as the frontrunners in the minds of some. Those of us with longer memories recall when these were the second-rate outfits that we didn’t hang a ton of hopes on. IMO their prospects haven’t really improved so much as the better competition is just gone.

Dr. Gho continues his long crusade to sell commercial HM. But he is no closer to proving it on real live patients than he was 15 years ago. Every few years another batch of noobs fall for him again.

The only bright spot is the long term work on an unlimited supply of new follicles. Prospects for that still look good. We have seen some encouraging progress there in the last couple years. But it’s not even in human trials yet so that is still probably 10-15 years away from the market at best.

Yep, definitely worse off than 5 years ago.

Thanks for the recap, guys.

Well, hairloss keeps sucking in 2015, and I guess it’ll keep sucking for at least another “five years” round or two. Lol :crying:

See ya.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by cal[/postedby]
IMO the current state of the HM race is worse than 5 years ago if anything.

In 2010 Aderans was still moving forward. They were the biggest player for the last decade. They’re totally dead now. $150 million down the drain.

Follica isn’t technically dead but we have lost most of the initial big hopes it generated. Dr. Cotsarelis is not a total freud in the research sense, but when it comes to near-term claims & leaking info he has basically proven to be full of crap. I wouldn’t trust his word about his progress either way.

Replicel & Histogen are still around and they rank as the frontrunners in the minds of some. Those of us with longer memories recall when these were the second-rate outfits that we didn’t hang a ton of hopes on. IMO their prospects haven’t really improved so much as the better competition is just gone.

Dr. Gho continues his long crusade to sell commercial HM. But he is no closer to proving it on real live patients than he was 15 years ago. Every few years another batch of noobs fall for him again.

The only bright spot is the long term work on an unlimited supply of new follicles. Prospects for that still look good. We have seen some encouraging progress there in the last couple years. But it’s not even in human trials yet so that is still probably 10-15 years away from the market at best.[/quote]

Keep your chin up — published today:

Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2015 May 7.

A two-stepped culture method for efficient production of trichogenic keratinocytes.

Chan CC1, Fan MY, Wang WH, Mu YF, Lin SJ.
Author information
Abstract
Successful hair follicle neogenesis in adult life depends on existence of both capable dermal cells and competent epidermal keratinocytes that recapitulate embryonic organogenesis through epithelial-mesenchymal interaction. In tissue engineering, the maintenance of trichogenic potential of adult epidermal cells while expanding them remains a challenging issue. We found that though hair follicle outer root sheath keratinocytes could be expanded for more than 100 passages as clonogenic cells without losing the proliferative potential with a 3T3J2 fibroblast feeder layer, these keratinocytes were unable to form new hair follicles when combined with inductive hair follicle dermal papilla cells. However, when these high passage keratinocytes were co-cultured with hair follicle dermal papilla cells for 4 days in vitro, they regained the trichogenic ability to form new hair follicles after transplantation. We found that the short-term co-culture with dermal papilla cells both enhanced Wnt/β-catenin signaling, a signaling cascade key to hair follicle development, and upregulated the expression of hair follicle specific genes, including K6, K16, K17 and K75, in keratinocytes, indicating these cells were poised toward a hair follicle fate. Hence, efficient production of trichogenic keratinocytes can be obtained by a two-stepped procedure with initial cell expansion with a 3T3J2 fibroblast feeder followed by short-term co-culture with dermal papilla cells.
PMID: 25951188 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Is this the same technology as SB?

What exactly does this mean?

Are any of the posters communicating with replicel? If anyone is perhaps it would be a good idea to get this into their hands:

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by jarjarbinx[/postedby]
A Two-Stepped Culture Method for Efficient Production of Trichogenic Keratinocytes - PubMed

What exactly does this mean?[/quote]

its just another method to get trichogenic DPs

there is more than 1 way to skin a horse

A Two-Stepped Culture Method for Efficient Production of Trichogenic Keratinocytes - PubMed

[postedby]Originally Posted by needhairasap[/postedby]

there is more than 1 way to skin a horse[/quote]

This is not what SB did because first, they’re not converting pluripotent stem cells into anything here.

Second, I don’t exactly agree with Needhairasap, this is not just another way to get trichogenic DP cells. I think it’s more of a way to get trichogenic keratinocytes. They took “high passage” keratinocytes (which would be poorly inductive) and mixed them with inductive DP cells (the inductive DP cells would have to be low-passage or no-passage because high-passage ones would not be inductive). The resulting keratinocytes did not product hair follicles.

But when the same type of keratinocytes were mixed with “follicle DP cells” (which would be low-passage or no-passage, taken straight from the follicle, and thus highly inductive) for 4 days, the resulting keratinocytes regained trichogenic activity.

I think this could be a way of enhancing SB’s work by adding inductive keratinocytes to the mix. Remember hair follicles are really a structure of mixed cell source, and higher quality follicles could probably be created by using several different types of cells, not just DP cells.

Just an idea, but this study may have been “inspired” by SB’s work. Meaning that now more researchers are starting to see that a real cell-based procedure is possible, built on SB’s development, and they want to be part of it in some way, so they’re looking for ways to enhance it.

[postedby]Originally Posted by roger_that[/postedby]

This is not what SB did because first, they’re not converting pluripotent stem cells into anything here.

Second, I don’t exactly agree with Needhairasap, this is not just another way to get trichogenic DP cells. I think it’s more of a way to get trichogenic keratinocytes. They took “high passage” keratinocytes (which would be poorly inductive) and mixed them with inductive DP cells (the inductive DP cells would have to be low-passage or no-passage because high-passage ones would not be inductive). The resulting keratinocytes did not product hair follicles.

But when the same type of keratinocytes were mixed with “follicle DP cells” (which would be low-passage or no-passage, taken straight from the follicle, and thus highly inductive) for 4 days, the resulting keratinocytes regained trichogenic activity.

I think this could be a way of enhancing SB’s work by adding inductive keratinocytes to the mix. Remember hair follicles are really a structure of mixed cell source, and higher quality follicles could probably be created by using several different types of cells, not just DP cells.

Just an idea, but this study may have been “inspired” by SB’s work. Meaning that now more researchers are starting to see that a real cell-based procedure is possible, built on SB’s development, and they want to be part of it in some way, so they’re looking for ways to enhance it.[/quote]

So then this work would still require SB’s technology and of course SB is on indefinite hold.

Well these new keratinocyte technology sounds like it would enhance Sb’s technology and together they would probably be excellent but you’re looking at 5 years minimum until SB gets to market with or without this enhancement. So we still have to look for other ways to regrow hair.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/88147-Replicel-Update-Oct-22-2014-Presentation/page17

comments from the peanut gallery here?

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by lbj[/postedby]
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/88147-Replicel-Update-Oct-22-2014-Presentation/page17

comments from the peanut gallery here?[/quote]

All the companies in this baldness race can explain what the perfect cure would look like: we multiple hairs/cells, and then inject as many as you need, wherever you need them.

Sitting next to a computer and repeating the above statement is the easy part. The hard part is publishing the before and after shots.

I take this just as an explanation of what their goal is, rather than what they are currently capable of…

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by lbj[/postedby]

comments from the peanut gallery here?[/quote]

The thing is whether or not these folks can make injected cells produce hairs and revitalize existing hairs. Obviously that’s the goal but so far only Sanford-Burnham (SB) has been able to do this and they aren’t sharing their secret formula. As far as I know Replicel does not know how to do it.

[postedby]Originally Posted by roger_that[/postedby]

Just an idea, but this study may have been “inspired” by SB’s work. Meaning that now more researchers are starting to see that a real cell-based procedure is possible, built on SB’s development, and they want to be part of it in some way, so they’re looking for ways to enhance it.

[postedby]Originally Posted by jarjarbinx[/postedby]

So then this work would still require SB’s technology and of course SB is on indefinite hold.

Well these new keratinocyte technology sounds like it would enhance Sb’s technology and together they would probably be excellent but you’re looking at 5 years minimum until SB gets to market with or without this enhancement. So we still have to look for other ways to regrow hair.[/quote]

even 5 years sounds ridiculously optimistic. have trials even started yet?

an nice little update from Roger’s hero’s… these guys are real go-getters!

KHAN on MAY 1, 2015 8:50 PM I have been checking this website daily for four months now and am kind of loosing hope. You guys really should have some sort of blog for people to check in for updates. Can you tell us if there has been any progress at all in the LAST 4 MONTHS !!?

Patrick Bartosch
PATRICK BARTOSCH on MAY 5, 2015 6:57 PM

Hello,
Thank you for your comment and for being such an avid Beaker reader. Unfortunately, these studies can take years. Just finding a partner to move this forward will take months, if not longer. We understand it is very frustrating, but it is not uncommon for research to move at this pace.
We promise to post updates here once we have them.
Best,
Patrick

Just finding a partner can take months… aka they haven’t even STARTED CONVERSATIONS WITH PARTNERS… I wouldn’t be surprised if nobody at the organizations is actively pursuing this even part-time…

I bet there is a guy with this on his “to do list” for June… “start looking for partners for XYZ hair research”

hopefully he doesnt lose the sticky note…

When I said SB follicles could hit the market in 5 years I was thinking about Japan only where a new law allows early release after phase 2 for cell-based treatments.

But unlike AAPE or Histogen, SB cells follicles may be the kind of treatment that you wouldn’t have to do multiple times in the beginning. One treatment of SB follicles could be good for a decade or more whereas if I were to get AAPE or Histogen I would want to do injections at least once a week for the first 4 months and then once every couple months for maintenance if I got my hair back after weekly injections for 4 months. And since Japan could get SB cells first that could mean long waiting lines because everybody and their brother is going to be on the waiting list. The only other option for SB follicles is somewhere like Russia or the Caribbean but I don’t know if SB would even think of setting up somewhere like that. I don’t have any hope for SB follicles hitting the marketplace ANYWHERE in the world in less than 5 years.

This might be interesting:
Angela Christiano is a speaker at the “2015 CSHL Conference on Stem Cell Biology”:

http://meetings.cshl.edu/meetings/2015/stem15.shtml

So, what do you think, guys?
Is it gonna happen in our lifetimes?