New Post on drrobertjones.com

http://www.drrobertjones.com/acell.html

Hard to tell, but I’m not seeing any new growth. The caption says the doctor told him to expect growth in 6-8 weeks. If that’s accurate, we’re in the critical timeframe now.

» http://www.drrobertjones.com/acell.html

WAY too early to expect new growth, let alone for such growth to be visible.

For example, when I had my plug transplants, it would take about 3 or four months before new hair growth was visible–and that was standard for plug procedures.

In the case of this Acell experiment, we’re not just talking about growing hair, we have to grow hair follicles first.

If we see no hair growth in this trial 4 or 5 MONTHS from NOW, then it’s time to start worrying.

If after 6 MONTHS or a year from NOW, there is still now growth, then I’d say a good chance this trial failed to grow hair.

it’s impossible to tell if there is any regrowth.

seems like the scar has contracted dramatically, not sure but in the second pic you can see a fine scar line, i dont think a scar even conventionally treated would result in such a dramatic improvement in healing

» seems like the scar has contracted dramatically, not sure but in the second
» pic you can see a fine scar line, i dont think a scar even conventionally
» treated would result in such a dramatic improvement in healing

Do you predict that there will be at least 95% scarless healing?

Just the healing alone is amazing to me. Originally that wound was very nasty looking. At the least it would be nice if Acell could be used to significantly reduce the visibility of donor area scars.

We need a better close up but to me so far it looks like the scar went from looking like he went to a butcher to a top doc. It looks to me the scar just transformed into a pencil thin on youd get at a good ht doc . i thinkl jones needs to redo this and keep acell moist this time

» Just the healing alone is amazing to me. Originally that wound was very
» nasty looking. At the least it would be nice if Acell could be used to
» significantly reduce the visibility of donor area scars.

I agree, it looks like there is a good degree of contraction and also re-epithelisation but no deaper dermal regeneration. This means that there is good primary and secondary intension. At best this would be a good adjunct to strip surgery. that’s still a BIG BIG leap forward!!!

» » Just the healing alone is amazing to me. Originally that wound was very
» » nasty looking. At the least it would be nice if Acell could be used to
» » significantly reduce the visibility of donor area scars.
»
» I agree, it looks like there is a good degree of contraction and also
» re-epithelisation but no deaper dermal regeneration. This means that there
» is good primary and secondary intension. At best this would be a good
» adjunct to strip surgery. that’s still a BIG BIG leap forward!!!

I agree too. This is the main purpose of Acell and that has been forgotten on this forum! Any hair growth would be amazing but its not what acell was designed and applied for! This guys head was pretty cut up to start with so it would be interesting to see what would happen if Dr Jones used someone for a one off strip!

Also people were talking about applying fresh sheets after ones had been taken off! Some experimenting could be done with this to find the best results!

» http://www.drrobertjones.com/acell.html

pics 1 and 3 are out of focus. Pic 2 is ok, but hard to see, because old hair is blocking the view.
It would be good if the surrounding hair was taken aside using some styling cream, or using another helping person…
I think it is very important to find out what is the initial boundary of the wound, to see what is new skin and what is old skin.

Although I have no experience is wound healing, I would say the wound is healing amazingly well.

Yes, that looks very good considering the starting (and even mid-point) situation.

It brings us back to the early question about scar healing - what would this stuff do on a line-scar that was already gonna turn out very good to begin with?

Granted the pictures are poor qualirty, there not zoomed and jones let the acell dry and scab, and he didnt mark the boundaries of the wound.
From the looks of it that wound didnt regenerate any tissue, it stretched. Since it didnt regenerate tissue im pretty sure were not gonna see hair growth. BUT its not a total failure because without acell that wound woulda been a huge scar and now (from the pics) it looks like he just had a scar sutured up by a top doc. If thats what it can do on a gaping hole i think it should do wonders for a scar much smaller.

@Cal:

Yes, that looks very good considering the starting (and even mid-point) situation.
It brings us back to the early question about scar healing - what would this stuff do on a line-scar that was already gonna turn out very good to begin with?
<<<<<<<

Maybe the strip scar would dissapear completely. If this is the case, then this could mean that FUE is dead, because Strip transplant is faster, cheaper, and would also be scarless.

@commanderfink
» Granted the pictures are poor qualirty, there not zoomed and jones let the
» acell dry and scab, and he didnt mark the boundaries of the wound.
» From the looks of it that wound didnt regenerate any tissue, it stretched.
» Since it didnt regenerate tissue im pretty sure were not gonna see hair
» growth. BUT its not a total failure because without acell that wound woulda
» been a huge scar and now (from the pics) it looks like he just had a scar
» sutured up by a top doc. If thats what it can do on a gaping hole i think
» it should do wonders for a scar much smaller.

Are you sure that there is no new tissue? I would say there is, but difficult to tell, with the given photos.
Also, I agree with you that the original boundary of the wound should have been marked. I hope Jones’ next iterations of the experiment will take this into account. I emailed him about it, but I never got a reply.
well, in any case, the old hairs could serve this purpose if they are not trimmed.

Im not sure of anything but from what it looks like, it looks like the wound stretched until it connected with the other side, maybe there was slight tissue regenration but even if hair grows on it it will be to small and area to harvest. Honestly i am disapointed so far

» Im not sure of anything but from what it looks like, it looks like the
» wound stretched until it connected with the other side, maybe there was
» slight tissue regenration but even if hair grows on it it will be to small
» and area to harvest. Honestly i am disapointed so far

I have always felt follicle generation was unrealistic. My hope rests solely on the ability to help create, or increase the likelihood of, a virtually undetectable donor scar from one of the top clinics.

Thats my dream as well but im kinda doubting even that right now

» Thats my dream as well but im kinda doubting even that right now

Look at this

Fibrin = scab = scar

Fibrin which you find in scabs transforms extracellular matrix to produce a fibrotic response…

If this ends in a scar you can safely say fibrin played a role.

http://stke.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/sigtrans;2007/392/tw226

I’m still a believer it will produce hair, in fact I’m sure of it. Our fellow mammals produced hair so why cant we? I’ll be suprised if Acell does not produce hair, very very suprised.