New development from Japan -- has anyone seen this?

These scientists are deriving a cocktail of proteins and growth factors from cultured human adipose (fat) stem cells. The list of growth factors is somewhat similar to what’s in Histogen’s HSC, but the results, seen in pictures here, seem to be better…

http://www.balancehairrestoration.com/wp-content/uploads/using-proteins-secreted-by-adipose-derived-stem-cells.pdf

Good find, we need to see data from a larger group though, this study was done with a very small group, only 25 test subjects about half men and half women.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by abcxyz[/postedby]
Good find, we need to see data from a larger group though, this study was done with a very small group, only 25 test subjects about half men and half women.[/quote]

You’re right. They said that all subjects showed increased hair growth, but if I were going to run a test like this, I’d also have a control group that receives no treatment at all (or a placebo containing just saline solution or alcohol). I would assume an experiment like this would be done with a control group, but I didn’t see a reference to one in the article.

I would shave down the control group’s hair just like the test subjects’ hair was shaved, to take before and after pictures. I would put the same kind of tattoo in the middle of that 11mm circle also on the control subjects. I would take “before” and “after” photos of the area just like with the test subjects. I would have done the same kind of hair counts with the control group.

So, just as we have “before” and “after” photos of people who received the ASDC proteins, we should also have “before” and “after” shots of the same number of people who received nothing.

The reason for this is that I don’t think you can EVER say you’re certain that in many of the “before” shots, you didn’t have dormant follicles in telogen phase that were resting and not producing hairs, which just happened to pass through their cycles again into anagen phase by the time the “after” pictures were taken.

To eliminate all possibilities like that, you need to have a control group that goes through every step in the process, including observation, except does not receive the treatment.

Also note that Vitamin B, Vitamin C, buflomedyl, cysteine, Vitamin H, Vitamin E, and Coenzyme Q (all compounds that promote the metabolism and growth of cells) were given to those who received the mixture. Although all these things are normally present in human cells, why were they added? Could this ASDC protein mixture have grown hair without all those things added? Could adding more of those things have grown hair even without the ASDC mixture? Those possibilities should be controlled for as well.

Also, they allowed several male test subjects to remain on Finasteride during the study, and I think that’s a very unwise way to conduct such a study.

These results look promising but as Roger points out, the test group is small. More worrying though is the inclusion of subjects on Finasteride which makes it difficult to ascertain what are the key regrowth/regeneration factors.

from what i can see is just stem cells from fat with a cocktail of vitamins
i can’t see anything new this is old news or
am i wrong???

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by georgex6[/postedby]
from what i can see is just stem cells from fat with a cocktail of vitamins
i can’t see anything new this is old news or
am i wrong???[/quote]

Yes, you are wrong. Be careful about your terminology, George. These are not “vitamins”. They are mainly cellular growth factors which are very different from vitamins.

This isn’t quite old news, but I think it is extremely similar to what Histogen has developed with its HSC mixture, and the source is very similar.