Nano Shampoo: Pump It Or Dump it? Shampoo Questions - EXPERTS PLEASE REPLY

so i’ve been using Nano non-scrip version for years. i keep seeing all of the the boards here about Piroctone Olamine and Nizoral (which I did start a few months back).

my question is, should I dump the Nano and go for something else that has a minox type effect? minox shampoo? i’m definitely going to buy some Piroctone Olamine shampoo, just need to find best kind and source.

so do I dump the Nano or what?

experts et al please reply…THANKS!

ps-i’m surprised there’s no real poll or master list or sticky on the forums categorizing products like shampoos, creams, vitamins, drugs, etc. - info just seem kinda unorganized and i would think could be easier to find…

g:

I used Dr. Proctor’s Nano Shampoo (shipped from his office) for many years. Back in the good 'ole days, Nano was light blue in color and had a nice almond scent. At that time, it really did help quite a bit and seemed to work synergistically with minox. I used to love the stuff because it made my hair look a lot thicker. The formula has changed in recent years and I no longer use it because it does not do for me what it used to.

I use Body Shop Ginger Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (also labeled as Ginger Scalp Care, for some reason) which contains Piroctone Olamine. I LOVE the stuff! It has done wonders for reducing itch and it makes my scalp feel almost “normal” again. I started out using it daily, but now rotate with other shampoos and will continue to use it until it stops working. I do NOT recommend that you use Nizoral - there seems to be something “fishy” with that shampoo. I really believe that it ultimately does much more harm than good. It may work great in the beginning, but continued use it NOT advised. Beware of this stuff. For more information on Body Shop PO shampoo, see:

http://www.thebodyshop.com/bodyshop/browse/product_detail.jsp?productId=prod6270015&categoryId=cat30042#detailtabs

» so i’ve been using Nano non-scrip version for years.

Is there a PRESCRIPTION version of NANO shampoo available?? :smiley:

» so do I dump the Nano or what?

Why on earth would you want to dump the NANO??

» » so i’ve been using Nano non-scrip version for years.
»
» Is there a PRESCRIPTION version of NANO shampoo available?? :smiley:
»
» » so do I dump the Nano or what?
»
» Why on earth would you want to dump the NANO??

i would dump it if people here had experience or evidence to think its not work $40 for non-prescription stuff if there’s better, more effective products out there - ie. minox shampoo? other?

suggestions?

» i would dump it if people here had experience or evidence to think its not
» work $40 for non-prescription stuff if there’s better, more effective
» products out there

NANO Shampoo lasts a pretty long time if you use it carefully, so it’s not really like it’s terribly expensive.

» so i’ve been using Nano non-scrip version for years. i keep seeing all of
» the the boards here about Piroctone Olamine and Nizoral (which I did start
» a few months back).
»
» my question is, should I dump the Nano and go for something else that has
» a minox type effect? minox shampoo? i’m definitely going to buy some
» Piroctone Olamine shampoo, just need to find best kind and source.
»
» so do I dump the Nano or what?
»
» experts et al please reply…THANKS!
»
»
»
» ps-i’m surprised there’s no real poll or master list or sticky on the
» forums categorizing products like shampoos, creams, vitamins, drugs, etc.
» - info just seem kinda unorganized and i would think could be easier to
» find…

You could rotate a Menthol based shampoo ( to boost bloodflow) and a Piroctone Olamine based shampoo ( to reduce inflammation ).

Regards
Pete

»
»
»
» You could rotate a Menthol based shampoo ( to boost bloodflow) and a
» Piroctone Olamine based shampoo ( to reduce inflammation ).
»
»
»
»
»
»
» Regards
» Pete

i've never heard of menthol shampoos - are they better than Nano? are there any name brands or merchants you can list for me?

I personally want to just use a few different shampoos in rotation and not go overboard - you can only wash your hair so many times or use so many products before you’re diluting all of their effects. that’s why i wish there was a poll/rating area to say what people rate what’s best and what’s effective…

» »
» »
» »
» » You could rotate a Menthol based shampoo ( to boost bloodflow) and a
» » Piroctone Olamine based shampoo ( to reduce inflammation ).
» »
» »
» »
» »
» »
» »
» » Regards
» » Pete
»
»
» i’ve never heard of menthol shampoos - are they better than Nano? are
» there any name brands or merchants you can list for me?

»
» I personally want to just use a few different shampoos in rotation and not
» go overboard - you can only wash your hair so many times or use so many
» products before you’re diluting all of their effects. that’s why i wish
» there was a poll/rating area to say what people rate what’s best and
» what’s effective…

I have not used the shampoo that you mentioned - I have found a couple of shampoos that work well for me. Others are also finding a Piroctone Olamine shampoo gives good results.

If your looking to boost bloodflow try searching for a shampoo that contains Peppermint along with other essential oils. I have found rotation of a few shampoos is best!

Regards
Pete

» » »
» » »
» » »
» » » You could rotate a Menthol based shampoo ( to boost bloodflow) and a
» » » Piroctone Olamine based shampoo ( to reduce inflammation ).
» » »
» » »
» » »
» » »
» » »
» » »
» » » Regards
» » » Pete
» »
» »
» » i’ve never heard of menthol shampoos - are they better than Nano? are
» » there any name brands or merchants you can list for me?

» »
» » I personally want to just use a few different shampoos in rotation and
» not
» » go overboard - you can only wash your hair so many times or use so many
» » products before you’re diluting all of their effects. that’s why i
» wish
» » there was a poll/rating area to say what people rate what’s best and
» » what’s effective…
»
»
»
» I have not used the shampoo that you mentioned - I have found a couple of
» shampoos that work well for me. Others are also finding a Piroctone
» Olamine shampoo gives good results.
»
» If your looking to boost bloodflow try searching for a shampoo that
» contains Peppermint along with other essential oils. I have found rotation
» of a few shampoos is best!
»
» Regards
» Pete

are there any other opinions? does/has no one on the boards used Nano? should this be posted in a different forum for better feedback?

» g:
»
» I used Dr. Proctor’s Nano Shampoo (shipped from his office) for many
» years. Back in the good 'ole days, Nano was light blue in color and had a
» nice almond scent. At that time, it really did help quite a bit and seemed
» to work synergistically with minox. I used to love the stuff because it
» made my hair look a lot thicker. The formula has changed in recent years
» and I no longer use it because it does not do for me what it used to."

Dr P sez: We always hold our breath when we change the cosmetic appearance of our formulations (such as NANO shampoo) in our ongoing efforts to make them work better. Why would we change them otherwise?

To date, when we poll our clients about whether they prefer we use the same formulations or improved (if different-appearing) ones, so far, everyone votes for increased efficacy. So that is what we do.

We ask people to accept the necessary compromises-- Flatly-stated-- our products will change as we continually fiddle with the formulations. They are just not going to stay the same. We well know how to make a really fancy shampoo and a consistent (across decades) one. But, if we can’t change things, we cannot improve them.

While there is a little conditioner in NANO shampoo, its real purpose is to deliver therapeutic agents to the scalp.

Peter H Proctor, PhD, MD

Dr. Proctor:

Glad to see that you are finally posting here. I have used many variations of your Nano shampoo since about 2000 and none of them have worked like the first one I tried (as mentioned above). The most recent variations (within the last two years) have actually irritated my scalp to the point that I had to stop using them. I never experienced this when first starting Nano. Maybe my scalp has changed…

» Dr. Proctor:
»
» Glad to see that you are finally posting here. I have used many variations
» of your Nano shampoo since about 2000 and none of them have worked like the
» first one I tried (as mentioned above). The most recent variations (within
» the last two years) have actually irritated my scalp to the point that I
» had to stop using them. I never experienced this when first starting Nano.
» Maybe my scalp has changed…

Two possibilities:

You may have developed an allergy to one of the ingredients in the shampoo vehicle. Haven’t seen an allergy to the main active ingredient, yet. This is because it normmally occurs in your body in small amounts anyway. A rule of thumb in dermatology is that 1% or so of persons will develop an allergy to any topical formulation. Our formulations are no exception. Unfortunately, the dose that will not cause a allergic reaction in sensitized persons is most commonly below the dose that works on hair loss.

OTOH, we have gradually upped the amount of active ingredients, knowing that this increases the likelihood of irritation in some persons. This should respond to using less NANO shampoo or using it less often-- often 2-4 times a week works.

Peter H. Proctor, PhD, MD